• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YOU BETTOR BELIEVE BOOKIE-BUSTER HYNES IS A GAMBLING MAN

YOU BETTOR BELIEVE BOOKIE-BUSTER HYNES IS A GAMBLING MAN
    Tue Feb 5, 3:32 AM ET
    By STEVE DUNLEAVY

BROOKLYN District Attorney Charlie Hynes made a shocking confession yesterday - he gambles.

This is a stunning revelation since he barbecued some of the biggest bookies in New York on Saturday.

"Yeah, I bet with my kids, but nobody profits outside the family," he said.

"You buy a box in a bar, nothing wrong with that. We know that Americans will bet on cockroaches."

But the big guys are different. Guys he busted before the historic Super Bowl - guys like Richie Troy, who helped take down Pete Rose.

It was probably the biggest bookie hit since Ali beat Liston in Lewiston, Maine.

As Damon Runyon might say: "In certain areas of geography around this great city, there is consternation that is more than somewhat . . . The defeat of a man who takes chances without God is something to be revered outside a church. But there is pain here and about among those with great mathematic skills."

DA Charlie announced a revelation: The bookies will suffer more pain.

If you got pinched in the old days and the slips were taken by the gendarmes, all bets were off, so long as you could prove you were incarcerated.

But not anymore.

"Oh, no, Richard Troy has to make good for those bets," said Charlie, a decent guy who might think Troy might be punished a bit more severely by bettors he stiffed than by the long arm of the law.

Charlie was reminiscing, "Maybe it was 11 years ago, I sat down with some of the bosses of the NFL, NHL, baseball.

"I told them, 'Let's legalize sports betting because that way the money derived is not going to crime families.' "

Charlie heard shrieks of silence from these nabobs of nit-witism. And Charlie went on to bust high-profile bookies.

I still patronize "Frankie Downtown," who I have seen twice in my life but have been betting with for more than 30 years.

Charlie Hynes asked me whether I was contributing money to organized crime by going with Frankie Downtown?

"You want a beatin' that is more than somewhat?" was my answer.
Working...
X