Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support Korea by becoming a Ghost

South Korean soccer fan burned in suicide attempt

A man who said he wanted to help South Korea's football team by becoming a ghost 12th player has set himself on fire.

The 39-year-old is in a critical condition.

He had ignited paint thinner which he had poured over himself before the squad's crucial World Cup game against Portugal.

He lit a candle and bowed several times toward the sea in the southeastern city of Busan before setting himself alight.

He left a note saying: "The sweat and tears of Coach Guus Hiddink and his players were the biggest birthday gift ever given to me.

"But we now have to overcome South American and European teams and I am driven to take this road by impetuosity.

"I will become the 12th soccer player by becoming a spirit and will run for the victory of the Korean team," the note said, adding Korean soccer fans' customary cheer: "Fighting Korea!"

The man was dressed in red, the national soccer team colour.

Tens of thousands of South Koreans have gathered in the streets of major cities to cheer on their team during its first two matches - a victory over Poland and a draw with the United States.
Working...
X