Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Judge's Docket - NCAAF Week One

MIAMA OHIO vs, Ohio State – Saturday, September 3rd, 12:00 PM EDT
    Buckeye quarterback Troy Smith will sit out the second game of his two-game suspension this Saturday and while QB Justin Zwick has some good experience behind him, he is strictly a drop-back style of quarterback with limited mobility. Due to the inexperience at running back, HC Jim Tressel will have to use a more wide open offense than he would like to. I am not convinced that the Buckeye’s one dimensional game with Zwick will be enough to dominate the Miami defense that is loaded with nine seniors and finished 34th in total defense in 2004.

The Redhawks of Miami are no pushover and return eight starters from last year’s offense that finished 22nd in scoring and should improve even more this year. In 2004, Quarterback Josh Betts passed for 3,495 yards and 23 touchdowns and will benefit from the return of four starters from last year’s offensive line. Betts has a solid receiving corps to work with and although both running backs from 2004 are gone, they are replaced by speedster Brandon Murphy at tailback. No question that the Buckeye defense has what it takes to win this game, I just don’t think they will keep it within 14 points.
    The Verdict: MIAMI OHIO (+14)

TEXAS A&M vs. CLEMSON – September 3rd, 2:00 PM EDT
    Funny thing about this game is that last year, Clemson was a one point favorite when they traveled to College Station to take on Texas A&M. That game resulted in a 27-6 rout as the Aggies absolutely dominated every aspect of the game. This year, the line opened with Clemson favored by a point at home but has since been bet down so that A&M is now a slight favorite.

This year will be Clemson QB Charlie Whitehurst’s last chance to prove what he is capable of doing. Last season was supposed to be the year for him to establish himself but instead he was very erratic, putting up some very disappointing numbers by throwing only seven touchdowns and 17 interceptions. That was certainly not good enough for a team that runs the ball very little in HC Tommy Bowden’s pass-happy offensive system and the Tigers finished 2004 ranked 111th in the nation in yards per play. The defense returns six starters but a lot of talent was lost so trying to replicate a top 30 ranking in scoring and total defense will be difficult.

Returning at quarterback for the Aggies is Reggie McNeal who is looking more and more like he has the potential to be great after passing for 2,791 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2004 with only four interceptions. He also added 718 yards and eight touchdowns rushing last year as he led the 20th ranked offense in the country which averaged 428 yards per game. The secondary floundered in 2004 but this year, is anchored by safety Jaxson Appel who is among the best in the county at his position. A total of eight starters return on defense and they should be able to handle Whitehurst and Co.

Many are saying that Texas A&M is overrated this year and if that is so, it has escaped me. I actually believe that is the pieces fall in place, they have the talent to compete with anyone on their schedule this year but it all starts at Clemson on Saturday and nobody understands that better than Aggie HC Dennis Franchione who has done a great job since taking over in 2002. I for one have never had much respect for Bowden’s coaching ability and I think that could easily be the difference in this game.
    The Verdict: TEXAS A&M (-1½)

BOISE STATE vs. GEORGIA – September 3rd, 5:30 PM EDT
    The Boise State Broncos have not lost a regular season game since early in the 2003 season and have done a good job of beating their WAC opponents while playing a 2004 schedule that included only four games away from their blue field. At home last season, they dominated their WAC opponents by allowing an average of only 17 points. However, in their four road games last year, the Broncos allowed an average of 36 points per game against competition like UTEP, Tulsa, San Jose State and Nevada.

Georgia is a much better team than any of those four and although the Bulldogs lost two games last year, those were to SEC powerhouses Auburn and Tennessee. Georgia’s opponents in 2004 were able to score an average of only 14 points per game and those teams came primarily from the very tough SEC Conference. While Georgia lost QB David Green to graduation, DJ Shockey should step right in with plenty of experience behind him and his ability to run with the ball will be aided by the return of all five of last year’s offensive linemen.

In the last game that Boise played, the Liberty Bowl, they gave up 6.6 yards per carry to Louisville and the team they are facing in this season’s opener is very deep at running back. Don’t be misled by the points per game that the Broncos put up last year because as mentioned above, it was not against teams like the Bulldogs. Last year in road games against Tulsa and San Jose State, the Broncos had to fight for their lives to get a win and those teams had a combined record of 6-17 while playing in the WAC.

This is a step up in class for Boise and I see the players coming into this game overconfident thinking they will be able to duplicate last season’s success but with key playmakers on both sides of the ball suspended for this game, I just can’t see that happening. I believe that this overrated team gets exposed in this spot and I am happy to only have to lay a touchdown.
    The Verdict: GEORGIA (-7)

VIRGINIA TECH vs. NORTH CAROLINA STATE – September 4th, 1:15 PM EDT
    Despite a disappointing 5-6 record in 2004, as North Carolina State looks back on last season, they have to be encouraged with their effort as they lost four games by a touchdown or less. In earning the ranking of #1 defense in the nation, the Wolfpack allowed just 220 total yards per game, and a paltry 2.6 yards per rush. Unfortunately NC State was also ranked 3rd worst in the nation with a turnover margin of minus 17, after turning the ball over 32 times. I’m guessing HC Chuck Amato placed a ton of emphasis protecting the ball in off-season practices and expect those numbers to be vastly improved this year.

Virginia Tech brings in a new quarterback this season and although his last name is Vick, that doesn’t carry much weight with me although many are looking at his return being the key to a Hokies’ run at the National Championship. Before we crown this guy as the Hokies’ savior, remember that he has only 475 yards passing to go along with two touchdowns in college and has thrown five interceptions in only 56 attempts. Of no small concern is a thin offensive line, especially considering the fact that NC State recorded 10 sacks in their victory over this team last year in Blacksburg. Bear in mind that VA Tech lost only three games last year and the other two were to undefeated teams USC and Auburn. Hokies finished last year ranked 4th in total defense and 2nd in scoring defense so this is where their strength lies.

The Wolfpack offense was not great last year, but good enough to actually outgain every opponent they faced and QB Davis seems to have improved his mechanics. He will be aided by a strong running game and as long as they can hang on to the ball, the offense should be able to score enough to keep this game close and with the help of their top flight defense, an upset is not out of the question. A couple of interesting trends for this game are that Virginia Tech is only 2-7 ATS in its last nine games as a road favorite while Chuck Amato’s squad is 17-8 ATS as an underdog.
    The Verdict: NORTH CAROLINA STATE (+4)
Working...
X