And the Super Bowl winner is.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the Super Bowl winner is.......

As we head down the stretch, let's see if we can separate the contenders from the pretenders in the NFL. We'll attempt to do so, using the Yards Per Point stat that we so often refer to here on Bettorsworld. YPP can give you a quick snapshot of a teams over all performance and can be very predictive. More so than traditional stats you may hear on TV. For example, an announcer may say one team has the number one ranked offense in the NFL, based on yardage. However, that means very little if the team can't punch it in once they get in the red zone.

So let's take a look at some current YPP numbers and see what they tells us. Please keep in mind, these stats are season to date. For an even clearer picture, you should break down the YPP stat even further. Take the last 4-6 games and figure it, as well as breaking it down into home and away.

Let's start with the AFC.

AFC Offensive numbers

SD - 11.5

BAL 14.2

IND 14.2

CIN 14.2

JAX 14.8

NE 14.9

JETS 15.2

DEN 17

The Chargers clearly lead the pack offensively. 11.5 means the Chargers score 1 point for every 11.5 yards gained. There's not much difference between Bal at 14.2 and the Jets at 15.2. So offensively, throw out the Broncos. We simply don't see teams with a 17 winning or even getting to Super Bowls.

Now the AFC defensive rankings.

NE 21.3

DEN 20.2

BAL 20.1

JAX 19.2

CIN 17.9

JETS 17.7

IND 15.5

SD 14.8

Defense still wins championships, even in the 2006-2007 version of the NFL. In 20+ years of using this stat in our handicapping process, We have rarely seen a team go all the way that isn't towards the top of the defensive YPP column. The Jets 17.7 is a good number. So anything above 17.7 here is a good defense. How ironic that the two teams at the top of most peoples lists, the Chargers and the Colts, are at the bottom defensively of all the contenders. We already threw out Denver because they can't score. It's probably safe to throw out the Jets as well. Notice the Ravens quietly at the top of both offensive and defensive categories. Aside from San Diego, offensively, all the "contenders" are in the 14 range, so not much separating them offensively, so we'll fall back on the defensive numbers. Looks like Baltimore and the Pats will be dangerous come playoff time. The Colts and Chargers are far from locks.

Let's look at the wide open, mediocre NFC

Offense

Bears 11.7

Dallas 13.6

Sea 14.1

NYG 15.3

NO 15.5

Phil 15.7

STL 16.9

Car 17.4

Atl 18.1

Now, of course, the Bears do not have the number one offense in the NFL. But the YPP gives you the big picture. The Bears rank number one here, because their DEFENSE scores points. Their defense is contributing to the offensive numbers. So the 11.7 is still a valid number. It doesn't matter who is putting the ball in the end zone, as long as it gets there somehow. So in the NFC, based on offensive numbers, we're going to throw out everyone from the Saints on down. We're throwing out the Saints because, even though they are 8-4, they are dead LAST of all the contenders in turnovers at -6. Super Bowl teams do NOT turn the ball over.

NFC Defense

Bears 21.6

Panthers 16.8

Atl 16.5

Dal 15.9

NYG 15.2

NO 15

Sea 14.9

Phil 14.8

Stl 14.3

We already threw out most of the NFC based on their offense and turnovers. That leaves us with -

Bears

Dallas

Giants

Seattle

In the AFC, we still have -

NE

Bal

Jax

Cinci

Ind

SD

So what does all of this mean?????

Well, teams like The Giants, Jax and Cinci have put themselves behind the 8 ball. They have to win out from here, and even then, would be faced with tough road playoff games in all likelihood. So we'll toss them.

Were now left with -

Bears, Dallas and Seattle in the NFC and NE, BAL, Ind and SD in the AFC.

The NFC looks like a Cowboys at Bears title game is shaping up. The Bears lack offensively, but a playoff game in January at Soldier field with the weather cooperating (cold, wind, snow) will go a long ways towards evening out the playing field. Under those weather conditions, I'd love to see this game.

The AFC looks tougher to predict. Based strictly on the Yards per point stat, it looks like the two front runners are the Pats and Ravens and not the Chargers and Colts as the odds would suggest.

Another general rule of thumb, is that you need a good QB to make a Super Bowl run. Sure, there have been a couple of teams that have gone on to win Super Bowls without a star QB.......Trent Dilfer comes to mind. But by and large, you need a QB.

That QB rule doesn't bode well for the Bears, eh?. But in the AFC, All four of our remaining contenders have the goods. Manning, Brady, Mcnair and the new kid on the block, Rivers.

Tough call in that AFC. Just taking a step back and making a guess from a fans perspective, I kind of feel as though the Colts will be a tough out in the playoffs. As long as they are at home, they should be able to beat any of the others. While the YPP numbers don't show it, and while the Colts defense leaves allot to be desired, you just have the feeling that Manning and company will pull it out as long as they have the ball last.

But as far as picking one of these AFC teams to meet the Bears or Cowboys in the Super Bowl........we need another week : )

Oh, and again, keep in mind the turnovers. Just as you don't see many mediocre defenses winning championships, you also never see a team that's minus in the turnover category. Makes sense huh? Make fewer mistakes and you win ball games.

In the NFC the Bears are +10 while the Cowboys are +7. So both are strong.

In the AFC, the leader of the pack is the Ravens at +14. They lead the entire NFL. The Chargers are number 2 at +11, followed by the Colts at +8 and the Pats at +3.

Check in next week and we'll see if we can't narrow this down a tad more.

good read

Comment

COWBOYS !!!! right jpehl?

Comment

Uhh Jeff let me help you my friend. Dallas will take the NFC unless they suffer a traumatic injury. (Romo) My prediction has been NE and Dallas. New England is flying to far under the radar again. I would go with the obvious pick of San Diego but thats no fun. Overall very nice post.
        jpehl

Comment

great post Jeff

Comment

Chicago vs San Diego
            San Diego 24 Chicago 20

Comment

It's kinda cool that my team is not involved again, cause it allows me to kick back and watch the whole thing unfold from a neutral and unbiased position.......what the hell, I'm used to it.

But what's really gonna be the most fun, is to sit back and watch 'Jpehl" and "Dragon" bite their fingernails off during the remainder of the season and playoffs...........One can feel the nervousness in their posts on a weekly basis..............Good Luck to both of you especially, it's been a long time that either city (Dallas and San Diego) had so much to be excited about at this time of the year...........Can you imagine these two teams meeting on Super Bowl Sunday?...........The website would probably explode !!!!..................Get it on !!!

Very nice post Jeff.
              ;)

Comment

I think Sunday will tell you where Chicago stands.

Comment

I thought they played on Monday.
                  ;)

Comment

Well I didn't bite many fingernails today! But I may have to change my Super Bowl picks to San Diego vs New Orleans

Comment

Bust my balls now, theres plenty of games left to play. The fact that everyone (the public) is crowning SD already makes me laugh. Enjoy your laughs for now. Your time will come.
                      jpehl

Comment

Well, let's see what we learned yesterday.

You hate to make judgements based on the most previous week, however, this time of year means much more than a week of games in mid October. Obviously all the games are important, but again, this is generally the time of year where the cream rises to the top.

AFC

Patriots - Super Bowl teams do NOT go into Miami in December and not make it past mid field all day. After struggling with the Lions and now getting spanked by Miami, the Pats look vulnerable.

Colts - Super Bowl teams don't get spanked 44-17 in December, Nor do they lose 3 out of their last 4 MEANINGFUL games this time of year.

Jags - Their stock has risen. I had them ranked pretty high but the fact that they have two losses to Houston kept me from giving them too much credit. But again, they are jelling at the righ time of year. They could be dangerous.

Ravens - Super Bowl teams DO go on the road into one of the historically tougest road buidlings in December and stay true to form, winning and causing turnovers. Wath the Ravens.

Chargers - Super Bowl teams win at home 48-20 this time of year.........and score 48 points against one of the better Defenses in the NFL. I don't like the way they initially let the Broncos back into this one, but in the end, it didn't matter.

----------------------------

NFC

Wow. The NFC. No one wants it. The only good thing about this mediocrity is that the playoffs in the NFC will be exciting as hell. A real crap shoot.

Dallas - Super Bowl teams don't get blown away 42-17 AT HOME in December.

Saints - We initially tossed them because they were in the basement of the contenders in turnovers. But hey, they have the QB in Brees and Reggie Bush behind him.......who knows.

Seahawks - Stick a fork in them. Losing to a 3 win team when you're fighting for the playoffs just doesn't cut it. But of course, no one else seems to want it in the NFC, so they still have life.

The NFC is still wide open. The Giants firmly placed their foot in the door with yesterdays win, which sets up a big game at home against Philly next week.

It still looks like in the NFC, you have the Bears, and now the Saints, along with whoever steps up from the NFC East.

Comment

Contenders, Pretenders, Etc.

You've got a nice take on things as usual Jeff, hope you don't mind if I chime in with some comments.....Here goes:

AFC

Contenders:

RAVENS :These guys are the team to beat if you want to advance any further...........The defense is controlling ballgames now that Ray Lewis is back and healthy, Steve McNair has pretty much completed the offensive puzzle, and Brian Billick has already proven that he can take a team all the way....You'd better have your shit together if you wanna topple these dudes.

CHARGERS : The Chargers are steamrolling everybody right now............These guys posess a massive offensive line that consists of a bunch of piano movers, and the defense is actually playing pretty respectable too, combine that with the fact that they have this guy named LaDanian Tomlinson (ever heard of him?) and most likely home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, and you can pretty much make your reservations for Super Bowl 41 right?..............Wrong.............for the following three reasons.......(1) This rookie Phillip Rivers has not been put to the test yet........ during the playoffs - he'll face more media scrutiny, stupid questions, pressure, hostile playoff environment, and all of the regular things that make these guys come back down to earth the way the
                          Saints tore the Cinderella slipper off of Tony Romo's foot the other night..........(2) Just can't see a Marty Schottenheimer-coached team going all the way...........He will once again find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory........one way or another...............(3) Having spent the last 35 years or so with the Raider Nation, I simply can't break one our strictest commandments............"Thou shalt forever hate the Chargers, Chiefs and Broncos".

Longshot:

JAGUARS:
                          This might be a little biased, but with Jack Del Rio being an ex-USC Trojan, he's already got "winner" written all over him..........figure in this newly-discovered little jitterbug named Maurice Drew-Tate that just happens to come out of UCLA, and you've got some ingredients that spell U-P-S-E-T..............Laugh all you want, but I'll guarantee you that the fans in Indianapolis ain't laughin' tonight, after the butt-pummelling they got from these guys Sunday.

Pretenders:

Patriots : With a defense living on it's laurels, and an offense lost in space, they'd be better off planning for next year.

Bengals : Love Carson Palmer and his two great receivers, but all offense and no defense won't even win you a domestic dispute nowadays.

Colts: Simply put, Tony Dungy's unimaginative offense has caught up with him again.........Last year it took 13 games to expose his team's vulnerabilities, this year only 9............See you again next year guys.......but try to get a clue.............or a new coach at least.

NFC

Contenders:

SAINTS : Storybook ending might be in the works for this team of believers............Brees always was a gamesman going back to his college days, and the entire nation finally gets a chance to see what all of the hoopla surrounding Reggie Bush was all about.......factor in a couple of receivers named Horn and Colston, and a coach that has more balls than "Tony Montana", and the sky's the limit with this group................Did you see the way this cool coach handled his former mentor the other night?!!!............Taking a knee with 3 minutes left in the game?.................You talk about someone sinking your batttleship.............The "Big Tuna" sleeps with the fishes tonight.

BEARS : Awesome at times, dismal at others, this team is hard to figure..........While this team use to rely on it's inpenitrable defense in years past, this current group won't soon make you forget about Singletary and friends from the 1985 version..........One must also factor in that your dealing with a QB that might as well go by the nickname "Dr. Grossman/ Mr. Hyde"..............The Bears will last as long as Rex Grossman's focus does...........This flash named "Hester" is a Dieon Sanders clone that brings in a special weapon, so to speak.

Longshot

SEAHAWKS : This team (believe it or not) still scares the shit out of me..............They never got to finish the job they started last year due some lousy breaks they had to endure.......from bad calls in the Super Bowl, to untimely injuries, to a schedule that would make the most frequent of frequent flyers jealous.............They always seem to play to the level of competition and their record substantiates this............With a Super Bowl winning coach calling the shots, and being a probable winner of their division, these guys still figure to make some noise in a conference where there is none.

Pretenders:

Cowboys: They had their run and it was exciting for the fans in Texas, but when you look at who they've beaten this year, especially since Indy is turning out to be another "also-ran", it really doesn't impress much.........The only one that came out of Sunday's game against the Saints more shellshocked than Tony Romo, was Bill Parcells himself.........did you see the look on his face when his former student took him back to class?.........He knew that Romo was wearing the Cinderella slipper all along, and the clock struck midnight before he knew it ...........maybe next year.

Giants: Manning's in a fog, Tiki's not interested, and Coughlin sucks...........Wish the Raiders would pick up the only hustler on this club..........Jeremy Shockey.

Eagles: My heart goes out to the two guys that play with alot of heart, Brian Westbrook and Jeff Garcia, but with no defense to keep you on the field, I get the feeling there is no pulse here.

Let's see what next week has in store for the topsy-turvy NFL..............Good Luck everybody..........
                          ;)

Comment

I agree with everything you said except for the seahawks for some reason I have always thought they were overrated. When the boys played the giants the week before they didnt look that sharp and for some reason I fell head first into the trap. Cowboys have lost me alot of money this year and I think Im done betting on them. Just wanted to add my apology to dragon, I was a little testy when i read your post.
                            jpehl

Comment

Hey, no sweat bud To show you what a nice guy I am I'll change my pick for you...... Chargers vs Dallas

Chargers 30 Dallas 24

Comment

Working...
                              X