Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas A&M Aggies@Miami Hurricanes

Texas A&M Aggies@Miami Hurricanes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This game tonight presents some very interesting scenarios.
    The Aggies return 9 on offense and 7 on dedense. Stephen McGee(194 completions on 313 atts for 2295 yards, only 2 ints and 12 TDs) returns this year to direct an offense that was 18th overall and 8th in rushing in 2006 and has gotten nothing but better since. They lacked a deep threat receiver in 2006 and have lost Chad Schroeder who was the best of that unit. The reason they ranked 8th in rush off was due to the superb play of Mike Goodson and Javorski Lane who combined for 1572 yards on the groung. They are returning 4 to the offensive line that was 24th in sacks allowed, and with one more year of working together will be better than they were last year.
    The Aggies were 46th overall in defense, which is not too bad, with Chris Harrington and Misi Tupe, and the threesome of Jordan Peterson, Arkeith Brown and Danny Gorrer presenting one of, if not the best secondaries in the NCAA.
    For the Aggies, who were 3rd in kickoff returns, the dangerous Kerry Franks is back and will pose a problem for Miami coverage. So, the only weakness I can see on this team, is the deep pass threat, which usually on most teams works itself out as the season grinds forward.
    Dennis Franchione coaches this team, and puts his heart into it.

On the other side of the ball will be a Hurricane defense that was 7th overall and 4th against the rush. How much better than that can it get? Defensive coordinator Randy Shannon replaces long time coach Larry Coker, so this defense will be nothing shot of awesome this year. Oklahoma scored 51 on them(I don't exactly know the details on that, maybe someone can chime in to clear it up) but Marshall only got 3, and Fla International(which is certainly a pattsie) scored 9.
    QB Kyle Wright did not exactly set fire to the playing field(152 comp on 250 atts for 1655 yds, but held a good
    60.8 % rate, but threw 7 ints compared to 8 TDs. He was replaced by Kirby Freeman, but now I understand he has regained the starting role. You could see a little or a lot of Freeman tonight. The Canes were 87th overall in offense, and if it were not for Jarvis James(175 atts 802 yards 4.6 average and 4 TDS)they would have been a lot lower than that in the rankings. Lance Leggett and sam Shields are back as pretty good targets for whoever plays the QB role.
    Last year Miami had an inability to score when they desperately needed it(ie Fla St 10-13, barely squeeked by Houston 14-13, Virginia Tech 10-17, a heartbreaker at Maryland 13-14, and another @ Virginia 7-17) only 47 points in the last 4 regular season games but held the opponents to a mere 45. They relied on defense for sure, but that is a hard way to go.
    Tonight they will again rely on defense, as will the Aggies (who only allowed a powerhouse Texas team only 7 points in the 2006 season finale.) I believe the projected total of 46' is a bit blown up, but these oddsmakers are pretty sharp when it comes to totals sometimes, but not quite as sharp at setting the game line.
    This game will depend on the ability of the running backs, therefore giving the QBs a chance to complete some 15 to 20 yard mid range passes while the defense guards the run, progressively getting them down the field. Sounds like a good scenario, but will it happen? This I feel gives the edge to the Aggies with their staunch LBs and feared secondary, picking off some Miami's misguided passes, that Kyle Wright will make available.
    I like A&M to cover, but I would not bet the house and car on it, as both teams have the ability to win in a low scoring game.

"Everybody plays the fool sometimes...there's no exception to the rule

this game really scares me cause other then Miami being home i don't see how they are favored

Comment

I like Texas A & M + 2.5

Comment

I smell a trap game, with everyone and their sister calling A/M to cover, yet the line hasn't moved down at all. (the juice has shot up). I may bet Miami just to see.
        [I]"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.”[/I]

Comment

"I smell a trap game, with everyone and their sister calling A/M to cover, yet the line hasn't moved down at all."

Actually, the line has moved to -2 and in some venues at -1.5 for A&M.

However, agree, Miami wins by a 7 - 10 pts.

GL

laxsfo99

Comment

Bodog (my book) still has A/M +3, that was what I was basing my assumption off of, since I have heard theirs is the first book to usually start moving lines ie conservative.
            [I]"Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.”[/I]

Comment

"However, agree, Miami wins by a 7 - 10 pts."

Ah, not quite 7 - 10 pts, instead 17 pts. Just beginners luck.

laxsfo99

Comment

Good Call

I should have waited to read these post before jumping on A&M. What a lazy effort by the Aggies. Jet lag? Of course I should know better than go against Miami.
                Great call for everyone on Miami.

Comment

Working...
                X