MEM
    ILL
    ARZ
    ORE
    TROY

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rotation #358 Ohio State (-17 1/2) 4-Stars at -18 or less, 3-Stars from -18 1/2 to -20, 2- Stars at -20 1/2 or -21 points.
        Rotation #335 Memphis (+2) 3-Stars at pick or underdog, 2-Stars from -1 to -2 1/2 points.
        Rotation #388 Illinois (+2 1/2) 3-Stars at +1 or more, 2-Stars at pick or -1.
        Rotation #370 Fresno State (-12 1/2) 2-Stars at -14 or less, 3-Stars at -11 or less.
        Rotation #398 Troy (-19 1/2) 2-Stars at -21 or less.

Strong Opinion analysis below.

4 Star Selection
        ****OHIO ST. (-17.5) 37 Michigan St. 9
        12:30 PM Pacific, 20-Oct-07
        Ohio State is the new #1 team in the land and it won’t be tough for coach Tressel to keep them motivated each week given the rash of upsets in the top 5 this season. The Buckeyes are very unlikely to get upset at home and they’re likely to win big given their 17-5-1 ATS record in conference home games as a favorite under Tressel – including 12-1 ATS when they have a good defense (enter game allowing 15 or less points per game for the season). Ohio State also applies to a very strong 47-10 ATS subset of a 118-60-4 ATS momentum situation and my math model is strongly in favor of the Buckeyes covering this game too. Michigan State has a good offense (6.2 yards per play against teams that would combine to allow 5.6 yppl to an average team) but the Spartans have been worse than average in two games against better than average defensive teams – gaining just 4.5 yppl against Pittsburgh and Notre Dame, who would combine to allow 4.7 yppl to an average team. Ohio State is the best defensive team in the nation, allowing only 3.3 yppl to teams that would combine to average 5.4 yppl against an average stop unit, and the Buckeyes have held good offensive teams Washington, Minnesota, and Purdue to a combined 4.1 yppl and 9.3 points per game. Ohio State’s offense started the season slowly running a conservative game plan, but quarterback Todd Boeckman has found his comfort zone and the Buckeyes are now better than average offensively. Scoring points shouldn’t be a problem against a Michigan State defense that is worse than average (5.2 yppl allowed to teams that would average only 5.0 yppl against an average team). Michigan State did well early in the season containing bad offensive teams, but they’ve allowed 6.6 yppl and 37 points per game in 3 conference games against Wisconsin, Northwestern and Indiana – who would combine to average only 5.5 yppl against an average defensive team. Ohio State’s defense and great special teams will supply them with very good field position all day long and I expect the Buckeyes to score more than enough points to cove the number in this game. Ohio State has only allowed more than 7 points once all season (they gave up 14 points at Washington), so they may need to only score 28 points or so to cover, which should be no problem. My math model favors the Buckeyes by 27 ½ points and the situation is favorable, so I’ll take Ohio State in a 4-Star Best Bet at -18 points or less, for 3-Stars from - 18 ½ to -20 points and for 2-Stars at -20 ½ to -21 points.

3 Star Selection
        ***Memphis 36 RICE (-2.0) 27
        12:00 PM Pacific, 20-Oct-07
        Rice has beaten me two weeks in a row despite playing as poorly as I thought they would. The Owls beat Southern Miss two weeks ago when injured Southern Miss backup Stephen Reaves was forced into the game and couldn’t throw the ball effectively. Southern Miss still out-gained Rice 5.2 yards per play to 4.0 yppl and nearly won despite Reaves’ injury leading to 7 turnovers. The Owls had luck on their side again last week as Houston fumbled two kickoff returns in the first half and turned the ball over at the 5 yard line, leading to 3 short TD drives for Rice. The Cougars also blew a 1st and goal at the 1 yard line opportunity at the end of the half when they fumbled at the 1 yard line. Rice’s pathetic defense gave up 8 Houston TD drives of 65 yards or more, as the Cougars scored nearly every time that they didn’t turn the ball over. Rice, meanwhile, had just 3 TD drives of more than 17 yards and were out-gained by 307 total yards – which would normally result in a losing margin of about 31 points if it weren’t for turnovers (Rice lost by only 8 points). Turnovers, especially fumbles, are mostly random and Rice is not likely to continue to be so fortunate as they’ve been the last two weeks. Fortunately for us, those turnovers have led to solid line value against the Owls this week. Memphis is certainly not a good team, but the Tigers are much better than Rice. Memphis has been 0.6 yppl worse than average on offense this season (5.4 yppl against teams that would allow 6.0 yppl to an average team) and they’re a little better with starting quarterback Martin Hankins back at the helm after missing the last two games. Rice’s defense, meanwhile, has surrendered a horrendous 7.0 yppl to teams that would combine to average 5.4 yppl against an average team, so the Memphis attack has a significant 1.0 yppl advantage. The Tigers have defensive problems too, as they rate at 0.7 yppl worse than average on the stop side of the ball (5.8 yppl allowed to teams that would average 5.1 yppl), but Rice is 0.8 yppl worse than average on offense (4.4 yppl against teams that would allow 5.2 yppl to an average team), so the Tigers’ defense is actually a little better than Rice’s offense. Both teams are horrible in special teams and projected turnovers are even (even though Memphis is +8 in turnover margin while Rice is +3). Overall my math model favors Memphis by 4 ½ points in this game and the Tigers apply to a very good 86-28-1 ATS statistical match-up indicator while Rice applies to a negative 19-51-1 ATS scheduling angle. I’ll take Memphis in a 3-Star Best Bet at pick or as an underdog and for 2-Stars from -1 to -2 ½ points.

3 Star Selection
        ***ILLINOIS 31 Michigan (-2.5) 23
        05:00 PM Pacific, 20-Oct-07
        Illinois lost at Iowa last week, but I’ll come right back with them today against a Michigan team that is still overrated. Michigan has bounced back from losses to Appalachian State and Oregon to climb back into the top 25 and to sit atop the Big 10 standings. However, Michigan hasn’t suddenly become a great team just because they’ve won 5 straight games, just as Illinois hasn’t suddenly become a mediocre team because of last week’s loss. That loss actually sets up the Illini in a positive 53-22 ATS situation that plays on home underdogs after losing as a road favorite of 3 points or more the previous week and Ron Zook has always had his teams prepared to play their best against good teams. Going back to his days at Florida Zook’s teams are 12-4-1 ATS as an underdog in conference play against a team with a win percentage of greater than .667, including 5-0 ATS since last season. Michigan, meanwhile, is just 5-15 ATS as a road favorite the week after winning and covering the spread under coach Carr so they’re not likely to play well again this week after beating up on an overrated Purdue team last week. The Illini are also the better team even if I dismiss Michigan’s horrible defensive performance in their first two games. Michigan is only 0.2 yards per play better than average defensively for the season (5.1 yppl allowed to teams that would combine to average 5.3 yppl against an average team), but the Wolverines have been 0.6 yppl better than average since Big 10 play began 4 weeks ago and that’s the level I’ll use for them. Michigan’s pass defense has really tightened up, but they are still just mediocre in recent games defending the run and they won’t be able to stop Illinois from running the ball against them this week. The Illini have averaged 6.1 yards per rushing play this season (against teams that would allow 4.7 yprp to an average team) and RB Rashard Mendenhall (839 yards at 6.5 ypr) and mobile quarterbacks Juice Williams and Edde McGee will have good success in this game (Michigan has had trouble with mobile quarterbacks this season). Overall, the Illini attack is 0.5 yppl better than average, which is about the same as Michigan’s recent defensive rating. Michigan’s offense is vastly overrated, as the Wolverines have averaged only 5.4 yppl this season to teams that would allow 5.4 yppl to an average team. The Wolverines are better when both quarterback Chad Henne and star receiver Mario Manningham are both in the game, but I they still rate at just 0.3 yppl better than average in that scenario. Illinois is 0.5 yppl better than average defensively and they are especially good defending the run (4.0 yprp allowed to teams that would average 4.7 yprp), so Michigan’s mediocre rushing attack (4.9 yprp against teams that would allow 4.8 yprp) isn’t likely to be effective in this game. Not only is Illinois better from the line of scrimmage than Michigan (even after discarding Michigan’s first few defensive games) but the Illini are also significantly better on special teams and my math model favors Illinois by 8 ½ points. Illinois beat Penn State on this field a few weeks ago and they should beat Michigan too. I’ll take Illinois in a 3-Star Best Bet as an underdog of +1 or more and I’d make Illinois a 2-Star Best Bet at pick or -1 point.

2 Star Selection
        **TROY STATE (-19.5) 49 North Texas 21
        12:30 PM Pacific, 20-Oct-07
        Troy is the class of the Sun Belt Conference and they should beat the Mean Green easily if they are properly focused. Troy is just average offensively (5.5 yards per play against teams that would allow 5.5 yppl to an average team), but that’s very good for a Sun Belt team and the Trojans should score at will against a horrendous North Texas defense that’s allowed 7.3 yppl to teams that would average only 5.4 yppl against an average defensive team. Troy’s defense is 0.2 yppl worse than average, but that is also good my SBC standards and the Trojans are actually very good defending the pass (5.3 yards per pass play allowed to teams that would combine to average 6.0 yppp against an average defense), which is what counts against a North Texas attack that averages 52 pass plays per game. The Eagles are 0.2 yppl worse than average offensively and they’re even worse since freshman Giovanni Vizza was given the starting quarterback job. The Mean Green have averaged 30 points in two games with Vizza at quarterback, but they’ve averaged only 5.4 yppl against two teams (ULL and ULM) that would combine to allow 6.2 yppl and 39 points to an average division 1A team. North Texas also has horrendous special teams and Troy should dominate this game if they are focused. My only problem with taking Troy is that they are 0-6 ATS against conference opponents after a bye week, but that trend is not as significant as the negative 43-100-2 ATS road letdown situation that applies to North Texas, who is off an upset win. I’ll take Troy in a 2-Star Best Bet at -21 points or less.

2 Star Selection
        **FRESNO ST. (-12.5) 38 San Jose St. 17
        02:00 PM Pacific, 20-Oct-07
        San Jose State is coming off a heart-breaking overtime loss to Hawaii and teams that narrowly miss pulling off a big upset usually struggle the next week. In fact, the Spartans apply to a negative 62-142-1 ATS situation that is based on that premise. San Jose State also applies to a negative 28-73-1 ATS situation and a 61-139-1 ATS situation that are all independent of one another. This is a letdown game for the Spartans and Fresno State is capable of taking advantage. The Bulldogs have been hurt by defensive injuries, so a defense that has been 0.1 yards per play better than average for the season is now a bit worse than average. San Jose State quarterback Adam Tafralis has heated up thanks to a schedule loaded with bad defensive teams lately (after facing good pass defenses early on), but a good pass attack is balanced out by a dreadful rushing game that has averaged a national worst 2.9 yards per rushing play. Overall, the Spartans have been 0.4 yppl worse than average offensively this season and they averaged just 4.9 yppl last week against a Hawaii team that would allow 5.6 yppl on the road to an average team. San Jose State’s defense is average from the line of scrimmage but they’re better than average thanks to their ball-hawking secondary that has picked off 15 passes in 7 games. Fresno State quarterback Tom Brandstater has only thrown 3 interceptions all season, so he’s not likely to toss more than 1 in this game and Fresno’s better than average attack (5.7 yppl against teams that would allow 5.5 yppl to an average team) should move the ball at a decent clip while the Bulldogs’ great special teams sets that unit up with good field position. My math model favors Fresno State by 13 ½ points, so the line is more than fair, and the situation is strongly against San Jose State. I’ll take Fresno State in a 2-Star Best Bet at -14 points or less and for 3-Stars at -11 or less.

Strong Opinion
        INDIANA 24 Penn St. (-7.5) 26
        09:00 AM Pacific, 20-Oct-07
        Indiana has been beaten by the only two good teams that they have faced this season, losing 14-27 at home to Illinois (although they were only out-gained 4.6 yppl to 4.9 yppl) and 27-52 last week at Michigan State. That loss sets up the Hoosiers in a very good 99-43-2 ATS blowout bounce-back situation and they are capable of competing with Penn State in this game. My math model favors Penn State by 7 points, so the line is fair, and I’ll consider Indiana a Strong Opinion at +7 points or more based on the good situation.

Strong Opinion
        SOUTH CAROLINA (-13.5) 32 Vanderbilt 13
        09:30 AM Pacific, 20-Oct-07
        Vanderbilt is coming off a competitive 17-20 loss to Georgia, but that game sets the Commodores up in a negative 62-142-1 ATS situation. Vanderbilt will have decent success running the football against a South Carolina defensive front that is just mediocre defending the run, but both Chris Nickson and Mackenzie Adams have been below average passing the football this year and the Gamecocks have one of the nation’s best pass defenses (4.0 yards per pass play allowed to teams that would average 6.0 yppp against an average team). While Vanderbilt struggles to score point without the ability to throw successfully the Gamecocks’ mediocre attack should score enough points to cover the number against a mediocre Vandy stop unit (5.1 yards per play against teams that would average 5.2 yppl to an average team). My math model favors South Carolina by 17 ½ points and the general situation favors the Gamecocks too, but Vandy is 11-2 ATS as a road underdog of 7 points or more the last 4 seasons and that’s enough to keep me off this game as a Best Bet unless the line drops. I’ll consider South Carolina a Strong Opinion at -14 points or less and I’d take the Gamecocks in a 2-Star Best Bet at -11 points or less.

Strong Opinion
        Buffalo 27 SYRACUSE (-3.5) 26
        01:00 PM Pacific, 20-Oct-07
        Buffalo continues to be an underrated team, as the Bulls are decent on offense (5.4 yards per play against teams that would allow 5.6 yppl to an average team) and decent on defense (5.5 yppl allowed to teams that would average 5.2 yppl against an average defense) this season after years of being horrible. They are certainly better than a Syracuse squad that is 0.7 yppl worse than average offensively (4.6 yppl against teams that would allow 5.3 yppl) and 0.7 yppl worse than average defensively (6.6 yppl allowed to teams that would average 5.9 yppl). Syracuse is 1-6 straight up and the Orange have covered the spread only once all season (their upset win as a 38 point dog over Louisville) and I’ll consider Buffalo a Strong Opinion at +3 points or more.

Strong Opinion
        EAST CAROLINA (-5.0) 32 No Carolina St. 21
        01:30 PM Pacific, 20-Oct-07
        NC State is a bad team that got worse when quarterback Harrison Beck was lost for the season a few weeks ago. Beck was bad, but backup Daniel Evans is worse and the Wolfpack are now 0.9 yards per play worse than average offensively for the season (4.6 yppl against teams that would allow 5.5 yppl to an average team). East Carolina has had some defensive injuries that have hurt them on that side of the ball, but the Pirates are only 0.4 yppl worse than average and have an advantage over NC State’s attack. The Pirates have an edge when they have the ball too, as Robert Kass, who has started the last two games at quarterback, is an upgrade over former starter Pinkney. Kass has averaged 6.8 yards per pass play on 75 pass plays this season (against teams that would allow 6.5 yppp to an average QB) and the Pirates’ offense is 0.2 yppl better than average with Kass behind center. NC State, meanwhile, is just average defensively for the season (5.6 yppl allowed to teams that would combine to average 5.7 yppl against an average defense). East Carolina is better from the line of scrimmage, they have a 2.8 points advantage in projected turnovers (Evans is interceptions prone) and they’re at home. My math model favors ECU by 11 points and the Pirates are a perfect 9-0 ATS under coach Skip Holtz when facing a team with a losing record, including last year’s upset win at NC State. I’ll consider East Carolina a Strong Opinion at -6 or less.

Strong Opinion
        COLORADO 30 Kansas (-4.0) 29
        02:30 PM Pacific, 20-Oct-07
        Kansas is unbeaten and probably better than most people think, but the Jayhawks are in a negative situation today and Colorado is better than they are perceived to be. It’s common knowledge that the Buffaloes have a solid defense (5.1 yards per play allowed to teams that would average 5.5 yppl to an average team) but Colorado has gone from bad to very good offensively since star running back Hugh Charles became healthy enough to become the featured back in week 4. Charles has averaged 132 yards per game at 6.3 ypr in 4 games as the main ball-carrier (he carried just 4 times in the first 3 games and Colorado’s other backs struggled) and the Buffaloes’ pass attack has been much better with the threat of a running attack keeping them honest. Overall, Colorado has averaged 6.0 yppl in 4 games with Charles at running back (against teams that would allow just 5.0 yppl to an average team). Kansas is 1.0 yppl better than average defensively, but the Buffaloes are at that same level on offense with Charles in the lineup. Kansas does have an advantage when they’re on offense, as they rate at 0.7 yppl better than average on the attack side of the ball while Colorado is 0.4 yppl better than average on defense, but these teams are pretty closely matched from the line of scrimmage. The Jayhawks have an edge in special teams and in projected turnovers (Colorado’s Cody Hawkins has thrown 12 interceptions in 7 games) and my math model favors Kansas by 5 points. The line is about where it should be and I’m siding with the Buffs on the basis of the situation. Kansas applies to a negative 21-62-1 ATS unbeaten road favorite situation while Colorado applies to a 99-43-2 ATS blowout bounce-back situation this week. I’ll consider Colorado a Strong Opinion at +3 ½ points or more and I’d take Colorado in a 2-Star Best Bet at +6 points or more.

Strong Opinion
        Kansas St. 34 OKLAHOMA ST. (-3.0) 32
        04:00 PM Pacific, 20-Oct-07
        Oklahoma State is a good team, but the Cowboys have a weakness and Kansas State is likely to take advantage of that weakness – unlike Nebraska last week. Oklahoma State has an outstanding offense that is 1.5 yards per play better than average with Zac Robinson behind center (after adjusting for strength of opposing defenses) and the Cowboys are very good at defending the run (3.6 yards per rushing play allowed to teams that would average 4.7 yprp against an average team), but their pass defense is horrible. The Cowboys have allowed 7.3 yards per pass play this season to teams that would combine to average 5.9 yppp against an average defensive team and I still can’t figure out why Nebraska coach Bill Callahan continually tried to run the ball against that stout run defense last week (48 running plays) instead of using their good pass attack to take advantage of Oklahoma State’s defensive weakness (the Huskers threw just 20 times and most of that was when it was too late). Callahan is obviously an idiot but Kansas State coach Ron Prince will not be so stupid. Prince likes to throw the football (the Wildcats average 42.5 pass plays per game) and they should do so very well in this game. Kansas State also has a stingy defense (4.7 yppl allowed to teams that would combine to average 5.4 yppl against an average team) and the nation’s best special teams and my math model favors Kansas State by 5 points. Oklahoma State does apply to a 188-100-6 ATS situation, but the best part of that situation does not apply and there is still enough overall value on the Wildcats. I will consider Kansas State as a Strong Opinion at +3 points or more.

Strong Opinion
        ARIZONA (-11.5) 38 Stanford 20
        04:00 PM Pacific, 20-Oct-07
        Stanford has covered the spread in two consecutive games, a huge upset over USC and a 36- 38 home loss to TCU as a 6 point dog. However, the Cardinal are not really any better than they were earlier in the season and new quarterback Tavita Pritchard is not the savior. Pritchard has started both of those games but the 60 points Stanford has scored the last two weeks is a mirage. Pritchard has completed only 41% of his passes and has averaged only 4.2 yards per pass play in his two starts – against teams that would allow 4.7 yppp to an average quarterback – and his compensated numbers are worse than former starter T.C. Ostrander. Stanford was out-gained 3.5 yppl to 5.9 yppl by USC and 4.6 yppl to 6.7 yppl by TCU, so the scores have not been indicative of how poorly the Cardinal are still playing. For the season Stanford has been average offensively (4.8 yppl against teams that would allow 4.8 yppl to an average team) but they’ve been 0.8 yppl worse than average on defense, allowing 6.4 yppl to teams that would average 5.6 yppl against an average team. Arizona’s pass heavy offense is 0.3 yppl better than average and Wildcats’ quarterback Willie Tuitama will feast on a Stanford defense that can’t defend the pass (7.6 yppp allowed to teams that would average 6.2 yppp). Arizona’s offense has struggled on the road, but they’ve thrived at home with an average of 6.8 yppl and 40 points per game against teams that would allow 5.9 yppl on the road to an average team. Arizona’s offense should score plenty of points and the Wildcats’ stingy stop unit (4.9 yppl allowed to teams that would average 5.5 yppl against an average team) will contain the mediocre Cardinal attack. I’ll take Arizona in a 2-Star Best Bet at -11 or less (strong opinion from -11 1/2 to -13).

Strong Opinion
        Oregon (-11.5) 41 WASHINGTON 24
        04:30 PM Pacific, 20-Oct-07
        Oregon should certainly be in the conversation when talking about the best team in the nation, as the Ducks’ tight loss to Cal was the product of a -4 in turnover margin (they out-gained Cal 6.1 yards per play to 5.4 yppl). Oregon has one of the nation’s most potent attacks, averaging 6.9 yppl against teams that would allow 5.5 yppl to an average team) and the Ducks are solid on defense (5.1 yppl allowed to teams that would average 5.8 yppl against an average team). Oregon’s offense took a couple of hits last week with the losses of running back Jeremiah Johnson and WR Cameron Colvin, both for the rest of the season. Johnson’s 344 rushing yards at 6.4 ypr will be missed, but he Ducks still have Jonathan Stewart, who has 689 yards at 7.0 ypr. Colvin’s injury could be more damaging, as he is the second starting receiver to go down for the season (Brian Paysinger was lost in game 3). Top receiver Jaison Williams is still healthy, but the corps is getting a bit thin. Oregon may not need any receivers with Stewart running against a Washington defense that has allowed 5.6 yards per rushing play this season. The Huskies are better on offense than their 5.0 yppl would indicate, as they’ve faced the toughest schedule of defensive units in the nation (their opponents would allow just 4.5 yppl to an average team), but Oregon’s defense has a slight advantage in that match-up and my math model favors the Ducks by 9 ½ points after factoring in the losses of Johnson and Colvin. The reason for siding with Oregon is a very strong 112-45-1 ATS momentum situation that favors the Ducks. I’ll consider Oregon a Strong Opinion at -12 points or less and I’d make Oregon a 2-Star Best Bet at -10 points or less.

Comment

Take this for what's worth (as I have no way to confirm the validity). On another forum, a message concerning Dr. Bob was posted. The message was something like this:

Someone has a family member that works as an oddsmaker and was told that the last 3 weeks, Dr. Bob (who usually the best around) was bought by a big player to release the wrong side of each of his games to move the line a few pts to the "big players" advantage. Basically he was bought and only he, the guy that bought Dr Bob and the books benefited as he is something like 3-16 in his last 3 weeks. This info isn't wide known public info yet, just posted by someone that has a family member working as an oddsmaker that claims to be in the know.

Comment

I have thought of this as a distinct possibilty with any of the pay services. They win both ways. Take your money and make the spread more favorable for themselves. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Comment

I certainly hope nobody is foolish enough to believe Dr. Bob was bought and that is the reason his picks have gone South the last few weeks. Given a roughly 59% win percentage, his recent cold streak is well within standard probabilities. The guy does his homework and the ball is bound to start bouncing his way.

It makes for a good conspiracy theory but please go prove we really didn't land on the moon.

Comment

Ol' Dr. Bob went only 7-6, 11-11 in units, losing his two top picks. Nothing to write home about. Certainly not worth paying big bucks for. Selectively fade him after he makes his selections and moves the lines.

4* Ohio St L
                3* Illinois L
                3* Memphis W
                2* Troy St W
                2* Fresno St W
                1* Indiana W
                1* So Carolina L
                1* Buffalo L
                1* ECU L
                1* Kansas St W
                1* Colorado L
                1* Arizona W