No announcement yet.

Preakness Stakes Coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the Pony talk, never enough *free* coverage.

Comment

Pony Talk

Just wanted to clarify something on your comments about Triple Crown winners. Alydar never won the Triple Crown, it was Affirmed, and that was
      40 years ago, in 1968.

Comment

You're off a decade. It was 1978.

From the article -
        Back in 1977, as a twelve year old kid, I watched Seattle Slew win all 3 legs of the Triple Crown, and I was hooked. The very next year I watched Affirmed out duel Alydar to win the Triple Crown. Heck, I thought Triple Crown winners were common! Something that happened every few years. Those just a few years older than me must have figured the same as it was 1973 that the world watched Secretariat roar down the stretch in the Belmont. Three Triple Crown winners in the span of 5 years. Horse racing was at it's peak.

Comment

I was at Affirmed's Kentucky Derby win in my moms belly. My dad was a pro horse player so I grew up around the Kentucky tracks when I would visit my dad in the summer and other times. Mainly Churchill Downs since my dad lives in Louisville but went to all the tracks if their season was running. My interest has faded the last 10-12 years but definitely an exciting sport if you get into it and big action if you're betting the races. I was never to interested in the betting just the sport except for when I was cheering for my dads bets.

Comment

Affirmed

I stand corrected. It was 1978 Affirmed won the Triple Crown.

Comment

Working...
            X