X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILLINOIS vs Northwestern MENS NCAA BASKETBALL

Illinois plays host to Northwestern 01-06-10

The very early line shows ILLINOIS -8

So it is a cornered Wildcat that the Illini host. And maybe a little wounded. John Shurna was the hottest shooter in the country in December before spraining his ankle. He has continued to play but was limited in the 82-69 loss at Purdue. And he carried a 61.8 percent three-point mark into Monday's home date against Michigan State and contributed one field goal in a 65-62 loss.

That game defies analysis. Michigan State was clearly faster and tougher, ruling the lane and the rebounds, and forcing Shurna and others to take difficult shots. In seemingly putting the game away, the Spartans held Northwestern without a basket for six minutes and carried a 63-50 lead into the final three minutes.

Up to that point, as Tom Izzo said later, the Spartans had played about as well on the road as they were capable. Kalin Lucas was sharp, Korie Lucious emerged from his slump and Draymond Green was dominant inside. Then Lucious missed a free throw, the Spartans began to hold the ball and, on the other end, Northwestern point guard Juice Thompson dialed up desperation mode with nine stunning points.

Next thing you know, Lucas was at the line with Michigan State nursing a 63-62 lead and, when he also missed, Green was there to save the day and knock it back in.

BACK TO THE ILLINOIS GAME

Both teams feature face-up shooters, and Thursday's game will hinge on which team can control penetration and recover to challenge the perimeter marksmen. Illinois did this effectively during the 10 minutes after halftime of Sunday's win against Wisconsin.

NW runs a princeton type style of offense it's not complete because they will get frustrated and jack the shot up early. The ankle sprain of Shurna is a concern of the wildcats, but I must tell you he has owned Illinois every time he has played them.

9 points seems way to high for this game for many reasons....

More to follow

I see Illinois winning but covering may be tough. Hope they come out sharper than Wiscy has against Michigan tonight-they look like crud and very unfocused.

Comment

Wisky is in a shooting funk for some reason, had wide open jump shots created all night long vs Illinois but just missed the wide open shots.

They looked tired to me and I think that Bo Ryan turns up the heat so high in practice that these kids are spent coming into a game with fresh legs.

Comment

Illinois is shooting red hot from the arc and if they are hitting that 1-3-1 zone is air. I think the Illini are gonna force the inside game on this one.

NW is not deep inside and Illinois has 2 (7 footers) I just know Coach Weber is coming in with a game plan to pound inside and use his depth to counter the automatic fouls (Mike Tisdale Illini Center) gets just for showing up on the court.

This strategy is flawed to beat NW you just run run run and its over but they do not let you run, slow down ball on offense and alot of back door plays and cheap fouls caused by the back door play.

Illinois has McCamey a top shelf point guard that can create and score and Illinois should win this game lets settle in on the line my numbers say

ILL 74 NW 66

Comment

Don't forget Shurna has a high ankle sprain. His shots have been flat against Purdue and Michigan State. In the second half of the Michigan State game, they had Shurna playing down low since he was 1 for 5 in the first half shooting from 3pt range (he made the first shot and the next 4 all came up front iron).

Also, in the Michigan State game, NW went on a 10-0 run in the final 2:30 of the game to cut the lead from 13 to 3. Michigan State, IMO became very complacent. State was up 1 when they tipped back in the front end of the 1 and 1 in the final 20 seconds of the game, if not NW had chance to have the ball to win.

The only reason I watched that game very closely was that I had it ATS was live on the last leg of a parlay.

I really didn't think that Purdue could cover the 11 last Friday against NW, but they were up 12 at the half and Shurna ankle was an issue in that game. How long does it take to get over a high ankle sprain, will depend how mobile he will be tonight?

Also, don't forget, NW cannot rebound against the big boys. They were out rebounded by 10+ in both games so far. And, once again, NW starts off like a house on fire in the non-conference only to show up as a mediocre team in the Big 10. Don't forget, the elite teams are Ohio St, Mich St, Purdue and Illinois, so once NW is done with tonight, you might want to consider playing them home against IU where the line might not be as overinflated, and IU really really stinks, no matter how great there recruit class of 2012 is going to be. Speaking of which, wasn't Crean 2011 class supposed to outstanding as well? There is just too much media hype of teams.

If the line gets under 8, I'll play the Illini as I can see them winning by 10.

Comment

The line is at 8 and right where it needs to be for me to jump in....

ILLINOIS has spent 3 days getting ready for the style of play NW brings, they should be ready

Jumping in on Illinois tonight -8

Good Luck all

Carpet

Comment

HALF TIME REPORT

Illinois -8 Leading 47-24 at half.....

Rebounding Illinois 19 NW 5 at the break my friend Tax Man pointed that out to us early in his thoughts well placed.

Illinois is shooting 82% from the field in the 1st half and 86% from beyond the arc. The record for an Illinois team is 69% for a game as they dont keep stats for 1st H for records.

Comment

ILLINOIS ROLLS 88-63

Shooting a school record 70.5% from the field, shredding that 1-3-1 zone

Good luck to all who jumped aboard

Comment

Working...
                X