Widestrides NFL Picks Week 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widestrides NFL Picks Week 5

Discussion first, with leans. Final picks to come Sunday.

Minesota -2. Viks should get their first win here at home. Their D has been playing well, but getting no 2H help from the O. AZ's Kalb was back-pedaling against the Giants pass rush. Jarred Allen and Co. will have him back-pedaling some more. I'm not a McNabb fan, but he will fare better at home this week. Run AP, run!

Pitt -3. Big Ben is ? and Harrison is out and so is his replacement and the Pitt OL is a sieve! But Tenny just doesn't scare me. Pitt has lost 2 in a row ATS and Tenny has won 2 in a row ATS. Looking for a reversal in that trend.

Oakland +6 at Houston. Oakland is tough and Houston will be slowed with the loss of Andre Johnson. Not crazy about this one as Wade has the Texans' D playing tough and that's a tough and loud place to play.

Seahawks +10. I'm a Giants fan but Hawks D is not bad and Giants may sleep-walk through this one after 3 wins in a row SU and ATS. Tavarius Jackson playing a little better now and he's got Mike Williams and now Sydney Rice to throw to. Giants did beat them 44-7 and at Seattle last year. Hmmm? Gotta respect match-up scores like that.

Tampa Bay +3. Not real sure about this one, but the Teams seem to be evenly matched and getting 3 makes it worth a shot. Bucs have a much better O. SF has a bit better D. Long travel for Tampa.

Jets, but only if +10. Jets D stopped Brady twice last year, but they were also torched by him last year. Pats' D is about as bad as their O is good. Maybe the over 48.5 is the pick here.

Jets/Pats over 48.5. See above. Unless the Division familiarity keeps the score down.

Eagles/Bills over 50. Eagles have been stopping themselves. They need this one bad, but their D is not very good and Buffalo should be able to score right along with Vick and Co.

Saints/Panthers over 51. Saints D is also almost as bad as their O is good. Same with Carolina. Only the natural grass and bad weather can keep this under.

Seahawks/Giants under 43.5. Giants will want to grind it out and avoid the upset bid. Or they will get up early and sit on it as they usually do. Both went over last week. Looking for a reversal in that trend.

Bucs/Niners under 42. Two grind-it-out teams trying not to make mistakes. Both went over last week. Looking for a reversal in that trend.

Bears/Lions under 47.5. Turf show could take it over, but Bears got back to the run last week and Divison familiarity keeps the score down. 47.5 a big number. Detroit has gone over all four weeks. Looking for a reversal in that trend.

Cinci/Jax over 37. Cinci has gone under their last 2. Jax under their last 4! Looking for a reversal in that trend.

Green Bay/Atlanta under 53.5. Atlanta and GB both over last week and 3 out of their first 4. Looking for a reversal in that trend.

Okay, that's a lot. Gotta whittle them down. Let me know which ones!
    Last edited by widestrides; 10-06-2011, 02:44 PM.

I agree with a portion of it. There is a lot of "looking for reversal" comments.
    ones I think will reverse (agree with you)
    cinci.jax
    seahawks giants (though cause I think seahawks won't score much which is opposite what you think in the game)
    Bucs/niners (thought can understand and see them Just going over)
    I'm all over the Oakland +6. Same reasoning really.

San Fran at home = Alex Smith proving he's there starter. He's good at home and not as often on the road (see last year especiallly 2nd half of the season)

Comment

I don't like Seattle. They have a decent defense at home because of the crowd noise but on the road it's a different story. Since 2008 the Seahawks are 5-20 SU on the road with 19 of the losses by double digits. In non-divisional road games they are just 1-20 on the road since 2008 with only one of the losses coming by under 10 pts and 16 of them coming by 13 or more pts.

Comment

^I agree. Which is why I'm on the GIants here. Though I will say that he has a point that the Giants tend to play down to their competition and when they get a lead they sit on it.
        Still, it's an easy win but a double digit win... Yes. I'd go for 10 even though I don't generally like double digit spreads.

Comment

I got Giants -9 @ -115 odds

Comment

Final Picks:

Minnesota -2.5
            Pittsburgh -3
            Oakland +5.5
            Seahawks +10
            Chargers -3.5
            Jets +8

Eagles/Bills over 50
            Cards/Vikings under 45.5
            Saints/Panthers over 51
            Bucs/Niners under 42

Passing on the Bucs. I already have one team (Seahawks) traveling coast to coast. In addition to traveling, the Bucs also had the short week after MNF. And now they are only getting +2.5. Might give the Niners a look now!

Comment

I was on oakland before but now al Davis has passed so emotional game?

Comment

Also passing on these for now:

Jets/Pats over 48.5
                Seahawks/Giants under 43.5
                Bears/Lions under 47.5

Comment

Hey big guy, you do what you will and I am and will always will be a fan.. I made a pact that I will not lose again on my College pow and you won't on your nfl pow.... I won again, and I know you will again this week.. I believe that talking shit is not so bad as long as it gives you the mental edge.. just me. your great. love your picks... I will not lose again.. I have made bold predictions, but the difference is that everyone on this site knows including me knows I have a serious chance to do this....... Just saying are your seriously betting against me???? If you don't have confidence then please!! Do something else please... I have confidence.. I have confidence in you WS.... LETS ROLL ... I WON'T LOSE AGAIN NEITHER WILL YOU!! WE MADE A PACT .... REMEMBER...LET'S DO THIS...WHAT ACTUALLY MADE ME MAKE THIS CLAIM IS PAPPA... HE CALLED ME OUT AT 0-4.... SINCE THEN 2-0.. NOW AGAIN HE BROUGHT DOWN THE THUNDER SO LET US SEE HOW IT WORKS OUT. I WILL SAY THIS ...... PAPPA YOU BETTER NOT LOSE AGAIN THIS YEAR... BECAUSE I WILL NOT.. SO CALL ME WHAT YOU WANT, BUT BOTH YOU AND I KNOW YOU WILL NEVER BEAT ME ONE ON ONE... SO TALK YOUR SHIT AT THE END OF THIS YEAR AND CONGRATS ON LSU TODAY, BUT YOU MUST WIN EVERY WEEK BECAUSE I WILL .......... I MEAN THIS..............

Comment

I MEAN EVER AGAIN THIS YEAR..... SO!!!

Comment

LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR, I WILL NOT WIN THE COLLEGE POW... BUT I WILL KICK PAPPA'S ASS UNLESS HE WINS EVERY WEEK FROM HERE ON OUT OR I WILL SHAKE HIS HAND..NA HE SUCXKS PERIOD...

Comment

8-2. I'll take that. Almost as good as Resteasy!

I told you the Giants wouldn't cover. I thought they would win though. One slip on the turf by Cruz killed us! What is Gilbride doing calling a pass into all that traffic crowded around the goal line?? Run or throw outside! Still, if he doesn't slip he makes the catch for a short gain and we're still alive. Just ranting.

Will probably go Lions and maybe under 47.5 for MNF.

3-0-1 with my Mock Hilton Contest with Lions to go. Got a push on the Jets.

GL

Comment

great job! I went 7-2 so it's all on the lions for me to tie you or you did better. But that doesn't matter we did good.
                          Look forward to week 6 already!

Comment

nice job Widestrides. Some real good stuff on the forum this week.

keep up the good work

Comment

I like the Bears Game to go Under tonite

Comment

Working...
                              X