+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What do you think about "The Mock Hilton" so far?

Just thought I'd get a reaction from you guys about "The Mock Hilton" contest. Would you like to see any changes for next year, assuming everyone wants to continue the contest. Let me know what you think, thanks.

Very good organization on a short notice to get drum up excitement.

As of now, since it is supposed to mirror the Hilton, I cannot think of anything.

Good job!

excellent contest... one of the best I've ever played in. Hopefully we can continue the contest again next year.

Only thing I would change is the midnight saturday deadline. I would like to see a noon sunday deadline... maybe even 1 pm sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe Eaford View Post
    excellent contest... one of the best I've ever played in. Hopefully we can continue the contest again next year.

Only thing I would change is the midnight saturday deadline. I would like to see a noon sunday deadline... maybe even 1 pm sunday.
    This is the real Hilton Contest rule:

Weekly entries are due at 11AM sharp each Saturday.

love the contest. Actually think the midnight deadline is generous seeing as how the real hilton had picks in at 11am. Makes it harder and more enjoyable.
    Not sure anything could be changed. Hopefully we do this again next year and drum up even more players.

Like to see 100 next year?

I agree; really good contest.

More players would be nice but I would like to see all of the rules finalized before we start. We have two rules that were up in the air, tiebreaks and entry deadline. The specific deadline really does not matter to me, but it should be determined before we start next time. Considering this is a "mock" Hilton contest, the midnight deadline is very generous.

It is probably not possible, but a side pot for anyone who goes 5-0 any week would be fun also.

I look forward to the rest of this season and plan to play again next year.

This is how the official Hilton contest Tie-Breaker reads:

19. Tie-breaking Rules will be applied to determine first place only. Entries tying for second through twentieth place will equally split aggregate prize money from the respective place. If ties exist after the Pro Football regular season for first place, the champion will be determined based on the entry that accumulated the most contest points during the final three weeks of the regular season. If total points accumulated during the final three weeks is equal most points accumulated during the fourth to the final week will determine the winner, and so on weekly (in reverse order), until the tie is broken. In the unlikely occurrence of a tie after the tie-breakers, co-champions will be declared and the aggregate prize money will be split equally.

100 Players will be the goal next year. If we can get 100 enrolled the payout will look like this:

Pot = $5000

1st @ 40% = $2000

2nd @ 25% = $1250

3rd @ 20% = $1000

4th @ 10% = $500

5th @ 5% = $250

Looks good............

Thats would be fun at $100 too.

As for the deadline, there is no question we need to keep it the same as the regular contest...this removes the possibility of late line movement plays.

There is a reason they do it in the real hilton that way.

Quote Originally Posted by woodee12 View Post
    Thats would be fun at $100 too.

As for the deadline, there is no question we need to keep it the same as the regular contest...this removes the possibility of late line movement plays.

There is a reason they do it in the real hilton that way.
    Think we'll keep it at $50. This gives everyone a better chance to play at an affordable entry fee. Well more then likely leave the deadline alone, it seems to work.

If we have 100 next year, perhaps we could pay more than the top 5 places. Perhaps the top 10.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by OCK View Post
    If we have 100 next year, perhaps we could pay more than the top 5 places. Perhaps the top 10.

Just a thought.
    Not a bad idea???

I'm liking it, lol....the 9PM PST deadline has been tough on me sometimes, but I think its fair. One time I was on the phone with my wife going "yeah, its a piece of paper on the sofa with lots and lots of scribbles, please read me the list on it...no not that list look to the right...yeah yeah..."

I love it, even though I donated 50 dollars to the cause. No way I was going win but glad to be a part of it.. Nice job "THE BOYS" in your handling this, VERY PROFESSIONAL.. HATS OFF TO YOU!!! Great contest and if we do it next year count me in on donating another 50.

Good luck to the winner...

Thanks for the feed back guys.........

Its fun being in a pool against some real quality competition! I think the numbers of the people in the pool are very impressive and speak highly of the forum. I'm in the habit of checking the Sunday morning wrapup now to see what the pros here agreed upon! It'd be nice to have a summary of both the top players AND all players (see if the masses disagree with the leaders).

It's like a horse race as we just pass the half way point. It will be fun to watch down the stretch.
    I have a feeling someone will post a 13-2 record during the final stretch to take the lead.

I will give you my thoughts on the contest.

Very well run conducive to a excellent game that brings players here again and again.

Your doing a great job

This was a great idea. Feel more connected in my gaming
    when it's a competition against others for $$$.
    Just curious how those who wanted a Sunday deadline are
    doing so far. Monroe, you were one of the late deadline
    guys right? How do you feel about it now?
    Even though it is tough for the West Coast players, I think
    Saturday is a good deadline.
    Mostly because I can check out the top picks and make
    some early Sunday plays! Ha, ha.

Krichinsky, yes... I am one of the late deadline guys. Looks like we might be a dying breed because it seems just about everybody is for the midnight saturday deadline. I'm ok with it though... this is an excellent contest so no need to rock the boat over a difference of a few hours. I've been doing fairly decent in the contest, its just that I'm used to picking the pro games on sunday mornings and getting the latest information.

Thumbs up Love it!

I'm totally loving this! I used to only bet NFL when i went to Vegas every year for the Superbowl. But now, i am way more interested in sports gambling. I subscribed to Bettorsworld, and i got the random email about this contest. For me $50 was alot, but considering it took all season to lose, it would be fun to try it out. Keep it at $50, and follow the Hilton rules. Honestly, it is legitimate minor league for that contest. If i finish the season with a competitive %, i will drop the $1500 next year and do both.

Good stuff guys, thanks, 9 weeks to go.......the race is on.

I think i found a loophole, correct me if i'm wrong. Hypothetically the major diff between this and the Hilton contest is that we can see each others picks prior to making our own picks. So in week 17, if i'm in first place and there is only 1 person in second capable of catching me, i could wait until the second place person makes their picks and copy those- theoretically keeping me in first no matter what happens. (all of that would be providing that no one else could catch us). What i'm getting at, is there a way where we could submit our picks- and they wouldn't be viewable by everyone else until the Saturday deadline?

In the past as we get towards the end of a specific
    contest, the leaders email their picks to the administrator
    and then he posts the picks after the deadline.
    In this case, I'm not sure how soon before the last
    week we will have to do this.