Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Mock Hilton Contest"........Week #5.........Post Your 5 Picks Here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by widestrides View Post
    I wouldn't think he would get an 0-5. Just a loss on the Houston/Indy game, which he got wrong anyway. You would have to use some really twisted logic to give him losses for all his subsequent Sunday games.

He was 2-2 in his other games, so 2-3 for the week.
    correct

Comment

widestrides, I was just asking the question does it mean 0-5? Not that this is what has to be done. Whatever is decided is fine with me. (past precedent would be ok) I was pointing out rule 7 without TWISTED LOGIC. Rule 5 says no corrections or editing of picks could result in 0-5. So if a guy makes a mistake and doesnt correct it the rest of his picks count. If he tries to correct it he can get a 0-5. Whats the logic there?. How does 0-5 ever come into the picture?

Comment

I think there needs to be some clarification in the rules. Actually, Rule 7 is pretty clear, "If you're using a Wed, Thurs. and or Sat. game in your picks then all picks must be posted in one post at least one hour before the earliest NFL scheduled kick off time."
        It doesn't say anything about only the late entry not counting. However, I don't see how you could count the Sun picks as losses considering they were in 2 days before the Sun deadline.
        The "editing" rule and the phrase "could result in 0-5" needs to be more concise, because "could be" makes it sound like it could or couldn't be based on someone's decision and it could be one time and maybe not another time?

Comment

thank you dragon1952. we just need clarification

Comment

I really do not want to get wrapped around the fray of another rule change-We went through this early on years ago when
            the clear rules were given a pass.

This contest is modeled to follow the Super Contest in every form including rules.

Please see below the West Gate rules section 8.

8. Contestants must submit their weekly selections to the Westgate Super Book by 11:00AM each Saturday morning, excep when contestant wishes to use any game that starts before this deadline. If a contestant wishes to use any game that is scheduled to start before this deadline; their weekly selections must be submitted prior to the start of those games. Any contestant who fails to submit their weekly selections by 11:00AM Saturday will be awarded zero points that week.
            THIS RULE DEADLINE WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED

What I find interesting with the above there is no established time zone applied to the 11:00 am deadline. One must assume that because these picks must be made in person at Westgate that local time applies. The only thing that is clear is:

If a contestant wishes to use any game that is scheduled to start before this deadline; their weekly selections must be submitted prior to the start of those games. Any contestant who fails to submit their weekly selections by 11:00AM Saturdaywill be awarded zero points that week.

Our contest established a cut off time to post with several options depending on the games you pick-it is clear as day. We cannot leave this rule to subjective enforcement or interpretation.

This issue all comes down to one simple thing getting your picks in on time-nothing more and nothing less and that is why we have rules that should not be bend the rules Mid-Stream of a contest . If this is something you would like to tweak after season I am all ears.

Clearly a 0-5 on that one vs 2-3 according to the rules.

Comment

#7 The Wednesday-Thursday-Saturday rule: If you're using a Wed, Thurs. and or Sat. game in your picks then all picks must be posted in
              one post at least one hour before the earliest NFL scheduled kick off time. See rule number 4.

#4 All picks must be posted in one post. In the event you're unable to post your picks because of technical problems please email them to [email protected]

These are our rules as I see them as presented upon joining this contest.

Comment

Originally posted by Monroe Eaford View Post
                correct
                Need to rethink that with all due respect

Comment

#3 The Posting deadline for the Sunday and Monday games is Saturday by 12:00 Midnight EST. Please read rule #7 for Wed, Thurs. and Sat. games.

We are all afforded the additional time for making picks as the deadline for the Hilton contest is 11am on Saturday, I believe that the true "intent" of the early games being posted one hour prior to the early games was not complied with, but the other 4 games were and IMO should still be graded as being in on time. If we were in Las Vegas all of the picks would not be accepted if there was this other condition (one hour prior to early games) for it would be considered past posting and the contestant would have to substitute another pick, actually a whole new card. Just my two cents worth.

Comment

To me, this is a clear 0-5 situation, same as if the picks had been entered after the Saturday Midnight deadline. He entered his picks late. We've had this situation before. 0-5. Those are the rules.

Comment

• He posted his Thursday pick late by 17 minutes so that pick would not count. Didn't matter if he picked Houston or Indy, that play would not have been counted. His other 4 plays in his post were posted well before the Saturday midnight deadline so those picks will count. He goes 2-3. I know how the rule is written but it seems pretty simple to me. Sometimes you have to use a little common sense. What if he would have typed in Alabama or Georgia or anything else instead of Houston or Indy? Would the picks count then? Of course they would.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monroe Eaford View Post
                        He posted his Thursday pick late by 17 minutes so that pick would not count. Didn't matter if he picked Houston or Indy, that play would not have been counted. His other 4 plays in his post were posted well before the Saturday midnight deadline so those picks will count. He goes 2-3. I know how the rule is written but it seems pretty simple to me. Sometimes you have to use a little common sense. What if he would have typed in Alabama or Georgia or anything else instead of Houston or Indy? Would the picks count then? Of course they would.
                        I agree with you Monroe Eaford. This is the first time in 5 years this has come up. I'll work on re-writing the rule and try to make it more clear.

Comment

• What if someone submitted their picks on Friday, but picked Houston? You wouldn't disqualify their remaining picks, would you?

The real SuperContest deadline for Thursday games is game time. "If a contestant wishes to use any game that is scheduled to start before the Saturday at 11 AM deadline; their weekly selections must be submitted prior to the start of those games." Carpet is quoting the SuperContest's Saturday deadline rule for zero points and applying it to the Thursday rule. Not the same. I assume that if a SuperContest contestant submitted their picks after the Thursday game started, they would lose the Thursday game no matter who they picked, but the remainder of the games would count as if they were submitting their card two days early.

Also, there really is no need to make the deadline one hour before the Thursday night game. That one hour rule BW rule originated with the GOW contests so it might draw traffic to the site as folks might check in to see who picked who to help them get their bets in. That reason is not enough to dictate our Mock Hilton deadline for a Thursday night game. If our deadline was also game time like the SuperContest's, it would be a lot less likely that this would ever happen again. Most newbies assume the deadline is game time. It should be.

Sure we want contestants to follow the rules, but for the continued success of the contest, you don't want to piss newbies off with stupid rules that have no reason. And there is no reason to have the Thursday night deadline one hour before kickoff.

Comment

• So as we stand now:

1) A late pick on thursday night results in a LOSS, and the rest of 4 picks count

2) A late pick on Saturday Midnite results in 0-5.

3) And Rule 5 means no corrections or editing of picks is allowed either on Thursday or Saturday after midnite.

4) Only clarification we need is where Rule 5 says "could result" in 0-5

thanks guys. comments?

Comment

• Since we all have a stake in this, I think it should be up for a vote on which way it should be scored.
                              Unfortunately, it's a situation that personal opinion can't be accepted as "the rule".

After this, we can play under what The Boys adds or adjusts as the correct way to score a late/early pick
                              and accept it. Since this has never happened, we all need to have a say in this decision. JM$.02.

Comment

• Originally posted by Krichinsky View Post
                                Since we all have a stake in this, I think it should be up for a vote on which way it should be scored.
                                Unfortunately, it's a situation that personal opinion can't be accepted as "the rule".

After this, we can play under what The Boys adds or adjusts as the correct way to score a late/early pick
                                and accept it. Since this has never happened, we all need to have a say in this decision. JM$.02.
                                There won't be a vote, that's to complicated. We'll work this out between me, Monroe and Jeff. For now it's business as usual.

Comment

Working...
                                X