What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

Yesterday morning I transferred money from one offshore to another. The correct amount was deducted from the first account. The money was initially not credited to the second account.

Yesterday evening I called the second outfit to straighten it out. They said they'd take care of it. This morning when I checked my balance at the 2nd place, it showed a balance that was twice my deposited amount.

At first I couldn't believe my good fortune. After a couple of minutes though, I felt guilty.

The little devil on my shoulder kept whispering in my ear keep it. Keep it, they'll never figure it out....

The littl angel on my other shoulder, was whispering the money's not yours, fess up yo greedy b*stard. Do the right thing.

I've already called a notified the second book about the problem. Basically, just because of the guilt I felt.

Of the following options am I an:

A.) Idiot - for giving back free money
    B.) Average Joe - for doing the right thing
    C.) Morally Weak - for even contemplating keeping the cash.
    D.) Normal - for even contemplating keeping the cash.
    E.) Other

Be prefectly 100% honest with you,

I will just keep quite. (although I belive 99% they will find out the problem and fix it within couple days)

There are something money can't buy, but sometime money can change you a lots.

Comment

Had the same thing happen myself.
      Notified the book.

Fats, assuming you are a winning player, its just a matter of time till you get the money back.

Got to take care of that Golden Goose.

Comment

A saying that comes true over and over again in life is...." what goes around comes around"

You did the right thing.....

Comment

Probably because I have so many accounts and have done so many transfers, there have been several times where money that should have been deducted from my account has not. I always, without second thought, tell the book. It is simply, without question, the right, ethical thing to do. And, I do believe in karma.

And it can pay off later. For example, the baseball season before last WWTS credited my account twice for a deposit. I immediately called them to correct the mistake. Then, later, I had a dispute. I talked to Billy, the head guy there. The fact that I had corrected the double credit mistake worked in my favor, and I was happy with how the dispute was resolved.

Anyone who has run his own business--and I have--can and should appreciate the book's side. We--the players and books-- are all in this together, and mutual respect and integrity should be everyone's mantra.

Comment

FatBoy - old saying is, "honesty is the best policy". Since you were transferring account from one shop to another, I assumed this is Antigua. You made the right move by returning it and besides I don't see any reason why these "sharp people" who just do these things for living won't find out in the long run. There was a similar situation happened to me a couple of months ago but it wasn't pertaining to transfer. Anyways, to make a long story short, it took them a while to know but they did find out.

Comment

I pick D - your normal for thinking about it.
              The book would have eventually caught its mistake anyway

Comment

Happened to me too and I informed them about it. I believe one has to be be fair and just when it comes to these things. It should also be reciprocal though...

Comment

I got credited for somebody else's winner once and played on it for about 10 days as my account was running low. Just when I was ready to make my big move to the plus side they figured out the mistake and my account was reduced to 100 bucks or so. It was either start winning fast or the dreaded send more money. Hard to play with that little.

Comment

Let me say it again. There is no way these people will not find it out. Antigua or anywhere else, small or big amount, you will definitely be BUSTED!!

Comment

Here's a very funny true story that actually happened to me around May. A book actually double-wired me around ten dimes. I called up and tried to tell them about it and couldn't get from five to six employees of the book (located in Costa Rica) to either understand or believe me.

I got transferred from one employee to another and then to a supervisor. He kept on asking me for my control number and started to get rude on me. I tried to explain again what happened but I got so angry I gave up and sent an email which elicited no response. I got so frustrated I just said, "screw it" and held on to the money.

A month and a half later I got a phone call from my local banker saying that a bank in New York sent you ten thousand too much and that they want to "recapture" the money and that it is not in the account. I didn't want any grief from my bank so I gave them back the money, but I got to play with it for a month and a half.

I won't say the name of the book but I bet all the books in Costa Rica after reading this will tell their employees, if someone calls in saying you accidently sent them twice the money you're supposed to, give them to someone in charge!

Comment

I am totally impressed by the incredible honesty. But somebody has to represent the other side of the argument. Let me just pose this scenario. You wake up, look up your bank balance and strangely enough there's x amount of extra dollars in your account, money you didn't deposit. The reason I don't specify the amount is because depending on the person that amount may be trivial or life altering. What do you do? Do you call the bank, be put on hold? Does it depend on how much money or is the old adage of "everyone has his price" not applicable to the virtuous members here at Bettorsworld?
                        And what makes everyone so sure that the mistake will eventually be caught? I can tell you it doesn't even remotely "always
                        happen".In fact time is definitely on your side.

Comment

Working...
                        X