Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cohen Guilty-Article

U.S. Wins First Offshore Internet Gambling Case
    NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. government's efforts to stem illegal Internet betting activity outside of its borders got a boost on Monday when a federal jury for the first time convicted a man for running an offshore online sports gambling operation.

Jay Cohen, 33, a co-owner of World Sports Exchange based in Antigua, was convicted by a Manhattan federal jury for operating a sports betting business that illegally accepted bets and wagers on sporting events from Americans over the Internet and telephones.

He was the first of 22 defendants to stand trial in the government's initial prosecutions brought under the federal Wire Wager Act.

That law makes it a crime to use telephone lines in interstate or foreign commerce to place sports bets. It also outlaws the transmission of information that helps gamblers bet on sporting events and contests.

Prosecutors allege that the defendants have tried to skirt U.S. law by running their operations from jurisdictions that allow gambling, including Curacao, Panama, the Dominican Republic, Antigua and Costa Rica.

Cohen, who lives in San Francisco, faces a possible maximum prison term of five years on one count of conspiracy to violate the Wire Wager Act and two years on each of seven other related charges. He is scheduled to be sentenced on May 23 before U.S. District Judge Thomas Griesa.

According to evidence presented at the two-week trial, Cohen's company solicited Americans through an enticing Internet address www.sex.com and through a toll-free telephone number.

Prosecutors said Cohen's business also advertised in U.S. newspapers and magazines. The ads told U.S. customers they could open a betting account with the company, wire money to fund the account and then bet on American sporting events and contests.

Prosecutors said undercover FBI agents accessed the Internet sites and found information about betting on the outcomes of professional and college sporting events, such as basketball, hockey, baseball and football games.

The undercover agents then opened accounts by transferring money via Western Union. They placed wagers on the games from computers and telephones in New York.

Cohen and the other 21 defendants were indicted in 1998 for their involvement in offshore sports betting operations. Ten of the defendants previously pleaded guilty in the case and seven are still fugitives.

Among those who refuse to return to the United States is Cohen's colleague Steve Schillinger, vice president and director of wagering for World Sports Exchange.

Schillinger told Reuters late last year that the company does not believe that what it is doing is illegal and that the U.S. government does not have jurisdiction over World Sports Exchange because it is not based in the United States.

He said the operation takes annual bets of $100 million to $200 million.

It figures that the mainstream media would screw up the facts with shabby reporting and the wrong web address.

Comment

. So it looks like they're going after books that are run by U.S. citizens. A drunk driver usually gets a suspended sentence for murdering someone with his car while Jay faces several years in jail for running an operation from a country where it legal to operate that kind of business and for taking wagers from willing participants.

God bless America!!!

Comment

More evidence of the United States decline:

The same month 4 cops who put 19 bullets into an unarmed man are found innocent, Jay Cohen is deemed a threat to society for taking a bet.

[This message has been edited by Hamhog (edited 02-28-2000).]

Comment

The most concerning thing about the case was the judge's orders to the jury to ignore Jay Cohen's defense because it was irrelevant.

So what was the purpose of the jury anways?

Frightening...

[This message has been edited by Hartley (edited 02-28-2000).]

Comment

Here's a more accurate article:
            http://www.msnbc.com/news/369978.asp?cp1=1

I want to again thank all of the hosts, posters and readers of this site for their never ending support. I intend to appeal.

Jay

Comment

Jay - I make the appeal line:

Jay wins -1500
              USA wins +2000

Comment

mls, I'll take a dime on Jay and 750 on US, Thanks.

Comment

How is this crime going to be enforced when
                  there are countries which allow Internet
                  online wagering and promote it as a valid
                  and legal means. Australia has leaped at the opportunity.

My fear with the Cohen decision is that as part of a plea bargaining agreement, Cohen is going give a database of name and addresses of his clients. The Caribbean is awfully protective of such information but when US citizens face the can (inevitably past tax evaders and US Citizens have been involved with money laundering activites) have given all these accounts to the FBI...

Hence in one big swoop the FBI gets this database and now can just start looking up
                  people and enforcing the law.

Apart from this "cooperation" I don't see how
                  Special Agent Muldoon will know what website I'm visiting and investing my meager $$$$$s.

Comment

mls, shiftysheik...

Not many things make me angry. Your insensitivity to the verdict today makes me want to throw up.

Jay Cohen is a courageous pioneer and had the guts to come back to the U.S. when he could have enjoyed a life of leisure in beautiful Antigua. He chose to stand up to a government that overstepped its boundaries because financial interests in the gaming industry here believed it was prudent to do so.

To make light of a man who is facing 19 years in prison by putting a line on it makes me ill. Jay Cohen and his partners should be recognized for the heroes they are and I just pray for all of ours sake they win on appeal.

I've never been so shamed to be an American.

Comment

Boomer, you need to get a life - maybe Action Sports was right about you afterall.

I have dealt with attorneys for years and I can assure you that any attorney worth his salt tries to encourage someone in jay's position - by offering them reassuring truthful hope for the appeal.

95% of criminal appeals fail. Nevertheless, based upon the recent favorable Texas appeal decision, I make Jay's chances on 93% "of success."

Sure I could have said, Jay your chances of a successful appeal are 14 out of 15. This is a gambling forum so I said EXACTLY THE SAME THING WITH A LINE OF -1500. (take back should have been +1300 though)

I would also point out that World Sports Exchange itself made a line on the trial result for awhile.

Boomer - your personal attack upon me evidences an unbalanced and irrational personality. I can no longer disregard Sports Actions allegations against you, and I somehow suspect you got what you deserved in how you dealt with them.

Comment

MLS
                        Also at least Rey Meyers was a man about it. When he got back from vacation he jumped in this forum under the name Rey Meyers and said his side of the story. He didnt remain in hiding claiming to be a bookmaker. He said exactly who he was, expressed his side, stated he has a very happy client base and left a number to be reached if any one had any questions. I have no idea what happened, I dont know the facts. I can of course develope an opinion from what i read. I have a lot more respect for Rey Meyers for coming into this forum and not hiding behind it like others who claim to be bookmakers. It seemed to me you were just trying to be funny anyway . i am sure you support Jay Cohen as we all do. After all is their any better example of a REAL BOOKMAKER then Jay. IS he hiding who he is and making claims and statements about bookmaking. No he is fighting the US government in federal court for the rights of all of us. The bettors and the books. He is a real bookmaker, and a man we can all learn from and respect
                        LAnce

Comment

mls...

When I am wrong I admit it and apologize.

I was so upset about the verdict I misinterpreted the line you put out as the other way around, meaning I thought you were saying it was 15 to 1 AGAINST Jay. That is what angered me so much.

I went back and looked at it and saw that you were 15 to 1 FOR Jay.

I'm sorry, I made a mistake. I thought you were rooting against him. Truly sorry.

Comment

Boomer, apology accepted - we are truly on the same side regarding Jay. I know he must feel badly and I only wanted to lift his spirits - and I honestly believe he is an overwhelming favorite to win on appeal (just as the defendant in the Texas appeal did recently).

World Sports Exchange was my first offshore book and they have always been at the very top of list. I think we all wish Jay nothing but the best in the next round ...

Comment

Lance from Skybook

Ray Meyers-----your fellow bookmaker who stiffed BOOMER didn't respond to this forum as a "man" like you suggest in an above post. He posted here as a con-"man" and bold-faced liar denying any debt insisting it had been paid and that BOOMER was the liar. He later rescinded that when proof of his failure to pay BOOMER was displayed here thru visual proof and phone call tapings. Lets get that straight, and don't make him a national hero or role model for the bookmaking fraternity or any human cause as far as that goes.

Any credit I gave you for intelligence is also rescinded after that statement about the crook.

Dot

Comment

Working...
                              X