Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Pennies, H/T Lines, Canadian Hockey???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Pennies, H/T Lines, Canadian Hockey???

Does anyone know when and where they originated.

Back in the late 70's we moved bases by nickels, then we started moving pennies as everyone else was.

Hockey was always 1.5-2 then one day the Canadian line was offered.

Same with half times. One day they were there. These all were used on the east coast in the late 70's early 80's.

Who thought of them, where did they start. Anybody know??

The Devil

A lot of people believe that Gene Mayday, the owner and BM of Little Caesars in Vegas, introduced, in the mid 1980s, the moving of the baseball line in penny increments. He certainly was the first to do it in Vegas.

Comment

Reno!
      That may be true in Vegas but in New York it was much earlier than that.

Comment

Devil,
        Big stores in NYC started using pennies in 1980 or 81. Looking back, what took them so long? They had only one option to earn.
        If my memory serves me right, Gary Austin was the first to use the Can. line in LV when he first opened his store on the strip. It had been around a few years earlier with the privates in the east. Austin was the first Ive seen stay with a hockey total and just move the money,i.e. 7 over 35.
        Baseball totals? Bob Martin gave and old NY friend of mine a total on the SF/LA game in the early 60s.Koufax/Marichal 3.5 over. My friend Rubinoff tapped out on the over. FINAL 2-1. Thats verifiable, ask Bob.

Comment

I am very interested in this topic and history of sports betting in America in general.

I have been with BWORLD for several months now and feel that I have much better understanding of what is sports betting here.

But I still want to know better. So if anyone knows about any articles or books on history of sports betting or its present or any other sources of information about this subject I will be grateful if you let me know.

Thanks.

Comment

Ronbets...Bill Dark(deceased)is given credit for starting baseball totals but it certainly sounds like something Bob Martin would think of. Reno is right about Gene Maday moving pennies in LV...Scotty

Comment

Scotty you r 100% right. Thanks-Ron

Comment

alec,

Have you heard about Peter Ruchman's soon to be published history of sports betting? You can read about it at:

Peter Ruchman's Book

Comment

j,
                  Thanks.

Comment

I talked to Peter, and it sounds like it will be a really great book--must reading for those interested in sportsbetting history.

Comment

Working...
                    X