America Vs. Asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America Vs. Asia

I arrived at the closed circuit venue for the Lennox Lewis/Michael grant fight just as the second round was beginning. In short order, the fight was over. $35 for one minute of action! Cripes, in Asia you could have action with a hot chick all night for $35. And though the chicks have fine bone structures, unlike Michael Grant, they certainly don't suffer from glass-jaw syndrome.

WAIT A SECOND!!!! How can you associate Grant with "glass jaw" after, not only last night's fight, but his bout with Golata? He was dropped with legitimately heavy punches that landed very flush. We're talking after about two pairs of fists (Lewis, Golata) with extraordinarily large surface areas, plus natural power to boot. Reno, how many fighters would have survived that first round after the third knockdown? VERY few (Holyfield, and perhaps Tyson come to mind), and certainly not those glass-jawed Asian chicks, whom you also seem to be misjudging.

Comment

gooden - I'm not sure what it's going to take for you to get it. Grant has extremely poor defensive skills and a glass jaw. I'm not trying to disrepect the guy, just stating what is obvious for anybody knowlegable in the sport of boxing. You just can't keep saying "Well, Golota hits hard.....and Lewis hits hard....and.." These guys are legitimate heavyweights. Lewis put him down 4 times, Golota put him down 3 times, David Izon put him down twice, and the "illustrious" Lionel Butler put him down. Grant is a great prospect with alot of "pure" skills, but until he learns to protect himself, this pattern will continue against any Heavyweight worth his salt.

Comment

Sigh!!!

Junior44, I'm "knowledgeable" enough to know a glass jaw when I see one, not to mention have my comments, concerning what Grant can gain from his experience with Golata, mirrored by Joe Frazier. It was an anomaly to see Grant come out the way he did against Lewis after what happened against Golata. I bet Frazier will tell you that he was surprised by Grant's bravado, and his failure to internalize the lesson he should have learned from Golata. Are you going to call Frazier unknowledgeable for establishing a false prophecy?

Guys like Lampley, Lederman and Co. would have been the first to label Grant with a weak chin, had they seen any proof of it. All they learned was that Grant has a great deal of resiliency. Even immediately after he was counted out, you could see how quickly Grant had regained his faculties. That is a restaurant-quality jaw, not glass-quality.

Beyond this, I do not see how this argument can have any real value, so since we have stated our opinions, might as well leave it at that.

Comment

I probably used a poor choice of words or my context was askew, but I wasn't trying to suggest that you were not knowlegable. Just wanted to clarify that. Anyways, I concur. It's best to just agree that we disagree on this subject. Hell, I'm just happy when boxing becomes a topic of discussion. Doesn't happen nearly enough. But the De La Hoya/Mosely fight is upcoming and I have a VERY strong opinion on that matchup. Hope we can generate some opinions and input on that fight when it comes....

Comment

Understood - Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
            X