Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farce University aka.... IU

Venerable Punters of this Domain...

I am perplexed why Bob Knight only received a slap on the knuckles as a punishment for the
    assaults and verbal abuse that he subjected his players and fans...

University authorities are always pointing at illegal gambling and its effects on the college game, but IMHO this dude of a coach should have been benched for ever.

Comments???

3 ncaa championships doesn't make up for the long line of abuse this animal has delivered to young men who have attended iu to get a education and do their best on the court. knight denies most of the accusations, but we have all seen his actions on tv. im with you there is no place in atheletics for this madman. i can picture this guy showing soiled toliet paper to his team saying that is how they were playing. i find it very difficult to accept ANY explanation for this conduct not to mention all the other misconduct.
    move on iu. a 3 game suspension? just get rid of him. when is the last time iu won the big ten title? my point is, by letting knight go what are they losing.

Comment

This guy is a classic example of the old adage "the end justifies the means". A complete bore and throw back to OSUs Woody Hayes.

Nothing surprises me in the hoosier state. Look what they did to Mike Tyson with their hired gun prosecutor.

The bottom line is winning. If his teams havent been faltering the last few years, this subject wouldnt even be reviewable.

Proper punishment?? Settle your case with Puerto Rico and you can coach again. Imagine they gave him a 3 game suspension and 30k fine. Just a fine role model example!!!

Comment

Indiana University lost a lot of respect nationally with their decision to give Knight his "last chance". This creep should of been givin his last chance 20 years ago.

There should be a bounty on his head. Whoever provokes him into flipping his wig and getting fired should be given hero status. Guaranteed the beat reporters will certainly test him in any press conferences.
        I'd be very suprised if this guy will be able to walk on eggshells for very long.

**** Vitale disgusted me in his predictable defense of Knight today, citing former players who loved him. Scott May, Quinn Buckner, Issah Thomas---all "star" players. How about the kid he choked and some of the ordinary players he's undoubtedly bullied around. How about the sports information director he punched out, the secretary who had a vase fly by her ear, his own son who he whacked on national TV. ****ie V didn't express how those people felt at the time. This guy is one sick puppy and an a-hole like Vitale speaks of discipline, learning, family values and Bobby Knight all in the same breath?

I could never figure out why some of these guys are placed on a pedestal and idolized while real heros curing diseases and those doing humanitarian work get little acclaim.

It's no wonder these guys become legends in their own minds.

Dot

Comment

If Knights actions were so horrifying to these people, why wait so damn long to say anything. The most recent allegation stems back three years I believe, and some go back 20. Just wonder why nobody had the stones to say anything until it was fashionable to do so. Myself, I enjoy the ***holes we have in sports to some degree, as it just makes for more conversation. I love to hate these guys. Think about it, if everyone was a Jeff Hornacek or AC Green, what fun would that be. The testosterone level in these guys runs too high to have them act like people think they should. Bobby should have got the boot along time ago, but think about what we would have missed.

Comment

IBTom:

Your comments make alot of sense. Its hard to
            knock off someone who has made himself "King". But as the other posters have reminded us that a person in authority must behave with dignity if he is expected to get respect.

Looks like the respect-o-meter is pretty low at the moment... In fact, I wonder how can he show up at work and look himself in the mirror and expect his players, alumni and fans to give him that respect which he is looking for. Dot identifies wankers like D I C K Y Vitale who luv to shoot from the hip and butt as well. His kind of commentating thrives on controversial dudes like Knight.

Again if University learning and teaching is going to set an example of higher esteem then
            it should make Bob Knight an exmple of a Knight in Blight with Plight!!!!

Cheers,
            FF

Comment

The guy's connected throughout the industry, thus nobody can cross him and still hope to have a career in the industry. Look at what happened to Todd Nolan, an NHL coach of the year with Buffalo who crossed Muckler while in Buffalo... Muckler went on to sink the Rangers despite the highest payroll in history while the coach of the year "indian" is trying to get an interview with anybody that will listen. About 30 NHL coaching jobs have changed hands since he was ousted in Buffalo 2 yrs back and the guy has had 2 interviews total.

That's exactly the reason why people could not come out and speak against Knight. The guy is a jerk and should face his critics and make the right decission... Like that's gonna happen... At least we get to make money off him, when was the last time his teams covered a tourney game anyway?

May all your bets be winners
              May all your bets be winners
              www.footballstart.com

Comment

Excellent insight guys.

Instead of giving Knight a final "zero tolerance" chance, the university should have admitted its own culpability in allowing the embarrassments to continue year after year and simply parted company with the man. Of course-----for Indiana University to to admit they did wrong in not intervening sooner would have
                ethically incriminated the University, it's Presidents , past and current trustees and would have "ruffled" influential and contributing alumni who I'm sure the two sided Bobby Knight could hold in sway like an Indian snake charmer.

I have a gut feeling that Knight will resign for some contrived reason other than his behavior before the season starts. He may choose to retire or take a "better" job elsewhere. I do not see how he could ever tolerate his job if relagated to uphold the basic and common decency that most of us must adhere to in everyday social life.

He's been permitted to be a King and now he's being reduced to a lowly Knight. It just won't work for Bobby.

Hate him and other bullies....Dot

Comment

I cannot argue with what has been said in this thread. Knight has done some incomprehensible things over the years, including uttering the infamous: "If rape is inevitable, why not just lay back and enjoy it?" To me, this comment was as bad, if not worse, than those uttered by Al Campanis a few years back. And Campanis was run out of town the next day. However, these recent events involving Knight lead me to ask myself: Have we learned anything new about Knight in the last few months or so? Is this earth-shattering news? The answer is no. If the University were to do anything with Knight, it should have been years ago. There have not been any ground-breaking allegations recently that would cause the University to alter their stance on Knight. Why has all this been brought to the surface at this present time? Well, unfortunately, that's the way our society works these days. Somebody lights a match, allegations from the past are brought out (allegations that IU is fully aware of, I might add), people begin piling on, the media adds gasoline, and pretty soon you have a situation that reeks of a witch hunt. If Knight were still winning championships, this would be a non-issue. But, he's not, so what an opportune time to pile on.

Again, I'm not condoning Knight's actions and, quite frankly, am neither supporting him nor denouncing him. That's a morality issue that I don't care to be involved in. I'm just making the observation regarding the absurdity of the timing. And in the end, IU did exactly what it has been doing for years: They said he was a bad boy and moved on to the the next item on their agenda.

Comment

He brings money to school ESPN CBS ABC has Indiana games on because of Knight. Dealing with todays players is hard Thompson of Gtwon steps down and Dean Smith too. Knight is Joe Pa of NCAA basketball. Also gets kids to go to class. Look Thomas who played for Knight is working on NBC. Alford is coach of Iowa. Knight wants to win he is good friends with Parcells. Its all about the money baby Indiana has full houses for its home games because of Knight.

Comment

Fedya, on another note, ran across something presumably by your esteemed self on an Ukrainian soccer site - any good with Russian? Russian soccer that is - although fluency in same is useful

Comment

AussieVamp:

Nice pick up!!!
                        Butt...

Actually my Russian is p i s s poor, but my Ukrainian is good enough to give the old codgers
                        in the old land enough to think about.

I'm into Ukrainian Soccer just like the Turks are into Galatsaray this morning.

BTW... Up The Blues! Stick it to the Kangas!

FF

Comment

Working...
                        X