X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betting crazy Euros

Put your money where your mouth is

The whole of Europe is set to go betting crazy

Anyone who believes they already know the outcome of this summer's European Championships has never had a better chance to put their money where their mouth is.
    Euro 2000, despite boasting fewer games and fewer teams than World Cup 98, is set to become the biggest betting event in sporting history.

£40m was gambled on the last World Cup, but the internet effect means even that remarkable sum is set to be eclipsed by the championships in Holland and Belgium.

"The internet has opened up markets in Europe which simply didn't exist before," explains William Hill spokesman Graham Sharpe, adding: "we are expecting massive interest and our liabilities should be more widespread this time."

So, the bookies are happy, but the punters are set to be smiling too, whichever angle you look at it from. British-based customers are tempted by the fact that internet betting is tax-free, so they are nine per cent better off before a ball has even been kicked.

Beyond Britain, the attraction is a betting freedom never experienced in France, Spain or the wider reaches of Europe.

"It's a completely different culture," adds Sharpe. Fans in France struggled to get a bet on their own team at the last World Cup, but now they are able to bet 24 hours a day."

Patriotism doesn't always follow in football, but Sharpe concedes that Hills still stand to lose a fortune should England, currently 10-1 for the tournament, lift the trophy on 2 July.

There is also a little jingoistic irony shining through in some of the novelty bets being placed in the run-up to the tournament, not least by the 250-1 Hills are offering on Germany beating England on penalties in the final!

These days, you can bet on almost anything in football; from the number of corners in a game to the combined total of the shirt numbers worn by goalscorers, and Sharp is expecting a stampede in the weeks leading up to the tournament.

"We would expect to start taking some obscure bets nearer the time but we are already receiving several, including the first goal of the tournament and the first player to be sent off," he explains.

If all that sounds too complicated, then just try sticking to the good old fashioned outright winners.

Holland are favourites at 3-1, while Spain's dominance of the Champions' League has seen them trimmed to a tempting 11-2.

Lively outsiders see Sweden offered at 14-1 and The Czech Republic, with a perfect qualifying record under their belts, at 20-1.

But the biggest market move has been for co-hosts Belgium, in to 20-1 from as much as 50-1 just a month ago.

Easy, isn't it?

Graham Sharpe is a top guy. He also writes books about the industry. Hey, I'm even reading one right now.

Comment

Cons,

Which book is that, btw?

Comment

It seems that the oddsmakers and public are really downplaying Czech Republics chances. Last time I checked they were #2 in the FIFA rankings. I don't get to see many of their games. Is it that their ranking is inflated due to a lot of one sided victories over other inflated teams or is it that no one knows which Czech Rep. shows up to play.? Kind of like Yugoslavia in the last World Cup?

Comment

chestr

definitely the one that catches my eye

took care of the depleted socceroos easily enough, and have to be better than some of the teams

and if nothing else, might whack 5 bucks on

Comment

they were around 20 the last time I looked quite a while back, what is best you have seen now?

Comment

Czechs were in the final last time at least.. but it seems it's always the "traditional" teams that win the tournament.

Norway, anyone?

Comment

Slovenia/England out

leaves 14? so 20/1 not bad

Comment

The Czechs are slow at the back, tough draw will not make it past the first round... Romania is in the same situation, they are old and not gonna surprise anyone. They were lucky to win in qualifying against Portugal, no surprises this time around. England has revenge on their minds from France 98 and Romania has NEVER beaten Germany. Thus a quick exit.

I would look for France and Sweden to be surprise semifinalists in this event.

Italy won't be able to score in this tourney.

Can Spain sustain the good string of events or will they crash and burn just like the WC? No Zubi in net so I say they fly.

More later...

May all your bets be winners
                  May all your bets be winners
                  www.footballstart.com

Comment

AV, the book is called "Gambling on Goals." The first part focuses on history of bookmaking to the point that it makes you fall asleep. But there research put into this book in enormous.

Comment

Working...
                    X