X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mafia Match Fixing

MAFIA LINK TO MATCH-FIXING
    By Myles Hodgson, PA Sport Cricket Correspondent

Lord MacLaurin fears "mafia-type organisations" could be the sinister power behind the match-fixing problem which is plaguing the game of cricket.

The England and Wales Cricket Board chairman has already taken a leading stand against corruption in the game by persuading the International Cricket Council, the world's governing body, to hold an emergency meeting at Lord's earlier this month to discuss the issue.

Several reforms were agreed, including a list of penalties ranging from five-year to life bans, while MacLaurin convinced every member of the executive committee to sign a declaration opening up their private and business accounts to scrutiny.

But on Friday, speaking on BBC Radio's Test Match Special, MacLaurin refused to let the issue drop and revealed his suspicions that the criminal underworld could be the driving force behind cricket's corruption.

"It could be the case that as well as the players, it's also the administrators who need investigating," said MacLaurin. "There's a lot of money sloshing around the game, not just in betting but also in television deals.

"My fear is there could be mafia-type organisations who are involved behind the scenes and that the international players are becoming pawns in a power game."

MacLaurin accepted his beliefs would astound the game's many followers, but insisted that despite the recent inquiry, cricket's rulers may only have scratched the surface of the problem.

"I know it's an extraordinary idea but it could be the case that criminal mafia are infiltrating areas of cricket - we just don't know how bad the situation is," he admitted.

"It's possible that our own game in England has problems we don't know about. I've been in business long enough not to be naive about the world.

"Police inquiries are on-going in this country into the match-fixing issue. I'd like to think the game is clean, but we have to be vigilant."

MacLaurin also revealed he had visited Chris Lewis, whose claims that an Indian sports promoter had identified three England players involved in match-fixing prompted the ECB to launch their own inquiry into corruption.

That investigation cleared all England players of wrong-doing and MacLaurin wrote a letter to all 18 first class counties criticising Lewis, but decided to take no disciplinary action against him.

Since then, MacLaurin has taken steps to heal any rift between Lewis and the Board and went to visit during Leicestershire's recent visit to Old Trafford.

"I went to see Chris for a long chat at Old Trafford along with Leicestershire's chairman Roger Goadby," he explained. "It was a chance to clear the air with him and let Chris know he did the right thing by coming forward with information.

"My impression is that Chris did appreciate the conversation we had. He told me how he wanted to get on with his cricket and try to regain a place in the England team and that's what he needs now - to be allowed to play his cricket."

The ECB later issued a statement backing MacLaurin's remarks with a spokesman saying: "We're fully supportive of the chairman's remarks and like him, we are committed to rooting out all forms of corruption in the game."

AussieVamp2,

I still make the pommys a big favorite as the main culprits here. Just a hunch.

Comment

yeah, New Zealand perhaps is the least bent test nation

no idea about Zimbabwe though

Comment

I don't know about Zimbabwe...

They seem to choke the chicken every time they're
        got the game locked up...

FF

Comment

heh

have not bet on cricket in a looooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg
          time

Comment

Well, I don't strictly like American sports as everybody knows, and I'm sure pointshaving goes on there from time to time (OK, if you want to tell me Neil O'Donnell threw away that Super Bowl I'm not 100% convinced you're wrong) but if there is fixing in America it's sure less blatant if not less frequent.

You don't have to follow footy or cricket or even Chess very long to hear match-fixing confessions, see draws in Serie A pay 1.55, watch fans cheer their own team's losses, or whatever.

Makes it tough on punters and bookies alike. Something ought to be done. I know some people say the bookies are the problem, but honestly: how far would attendance and TV ratings fall, in Europe, Australasia, or America, if the man-on-the-street couldn't back his team with a few dollars?

Penalties for such things should be more severe for the athletes involved...but is even that itself an answer?

Comment

Ever since Sth. Afrikan Kepten Cronje was
              implicated in his match fixing ploys not another day goes by that some retired cricketer is letting his lips flap about possible setups...

The game has lost credibility and has brought
              a sense of mistrust from the fans.

With such going ons no wonder yobos in the MCG are starting to get respectability... Except that someone is going to get hurt.

Money is the root of all evil...
              And the temptation of it is hard to resist.

FF

Comment

well, soccer doesn't rate anyway

footy and cricket still would......

Comment

Cronje thing interesting

in articles I was reading, his salary only around 70-80 grand, testimonal year made him 150 or something

compared to our top guys who would make 2-3-4 hundred thousand, not counting endorsements.......

so you can understand him being more easily tempted than others by amounts like 15 grand

pretty small salary for someone under that sort of pressure - not your low profile CEO that does 4 hours work a day and skives off to play golf and gets 4 million a year for firing a few people......

Comment

OZVamp:

Obviously the temptation that Cronje faced is a direct response to what he felt he should be getting from the game and the responsibility of being Kepten...

The ramifications of his actions are going to bring him down to earth With tax charges and jail time as well, his family is going to be paddling up the creek.

I'm a bit surprised that Waugh and Warne didn't get more that just the hand slap for
                    their little foray into the world of punting.

FF

Comment

probably would have, if it was now

did you also see that Kapil Dev said that 'anyone involved in match fixing should be hung'

and then allegations came out about him recently - so no wonder he was crying

Comment

Working...
                      X