X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life ban for match fixer

Thursday 25 May 2000

Salim Malik protests against life ban

KARACHI, May 24 AFP - Former Pakistan cricket captain Salim Malik Wednesday protested against a life ban on him, saying he has been made scapegoat.

Malik's reaction came after a judicial commission's inquiry report into match-fixing in Pakistani cricket recommended Malik be banned from any cricket-related activity and fined one million rupees ($A32,000).

``Why me alone when others were let off with minor fines?'' Malik said. ``I have been cleared by two inquiries before but this time I alone have been targeted,'' he told AFP from his Lahore residence.

Malik said he planned a legal challenge over the action. ``I will talk to my lawyer and will definitely take them to the court,'' he said. Malik has been out of the Pakistan team since the 1999 World Cup in England.

``Whether my cricket is finished or not I have to live a life and I have been subjected to such torturous allegations for a long time now, its unjust,'' he added. AFP

Judicial inquiry finds former cricket captain guilty

By Amir Zia

ISLAMABAD, May 24 AP - After one year and 60 witnesses, a one-man judicial inquiry found two Pakistani cricketers -- former captain Salim Malik and medium pace bowler Atta-ur Rehman -- guilty of match-fixing, Pakistan's cricket board chairman said today.

The inquiry recommends a life ban be imposed against both players, Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Lt.-Gen. Taqueer Zia told reporters in the federal capital. The inquiry also recommends a 1 million rupee ($A32,350) fine against Malik. According to the inquiry report ``Salim Malik is the main culprit,'' said Zia.

``He has brought the Pakistan national team into disrepute.'' Neither Malik nor Rehman currently play on the national team. The inquiry, conducted by Justice Malik Qayyum, is recommending Malik be banned from any connection with cricket, either as a player or manager.

The inquiry report also recommends a 300,000 rupee ($A9,600) fine be imposed on former cricket captain Wasim Akram because he did not cooperate with the judicial inquiry. However the inquiry report does not accuse Akram, who is currently playing on Pakistan's national team, of any wrongdoing.

The inquiry was launched in response to charges of betting and match-fixing against several of Pakistan's top cricketers, including former captains Akram and Malik, spinners Saqlain Mushtaq and Mushtaq Ahmed, medium pace bowler Rehman and batsman Ijaz Ahmed. The players denied the charges.

On Tuesday Malik told reporters in the eastern city of Lahore that he was innocent of any wrongdoing. However he refused to answer questions saying the advice of his lawyers was to say nothing. Qayyum's judicial commission investigated several allegations of corruption dating back to 1994, including one made by Australian cricketers Shane Warne and Mark Waugh.

The Australian players accused Malik of offering them bribes to perform poorly during an Australian tour of Pakistan. A number of Pakistani cricketers, including former captains Rashid Latif and Aamir Sohail, also accused their teammates of throwing matches. AP

Working...
X