No announcement yet.

SPORTINGBET.COM creates worlds 1st....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPORTINGBET.COM creates worlds 1st....

Sportingbet.com creates a world first:

UK bookmaker takes the first interactive
    bet to be placed via the television

The convenience of placing a bet from the sofa becomes a reality for
    1.6million Telewest homes in the UK in time for Euro 2000

Sportingbet.com (UK) Plc, the first British company to offer tax-free sports betting via the Internet,
    created another first today, when they took the first ever interactive bet via the television. The bet
    cements Sportingbet.comıs position as the first to market in the potentially huge Interactive Television
    sector. A recent ABN/Amro report on the future of the gambling industry has estimated that the
    Interactive Television betting market will be worth over £1.4 billion by 2004.

The first bet was placed by Robert Pine, a 30 year old journalist from Streatham who had £10 to
    win on Malta against England for Saturday June 3 at odds of 25/1. He stands to win £250.
    Sportingbet.comıs interactive television betting service went live today (June 1, 2000) at 12.00 hours
    and will be available to over 1.6 million Telewest subscribers.

Telewest Communications is a leading broadband cable communications operator, currently
    providing pay television, telephony and internet services to 1.6 million UK homes. Telewest
    subscribers can now use their television remote control to access Sportingbet.comıs global sports
    betting service, easily and conveniently from their own home via subscribing to Active Digital which
    was launched in October 1999. To date, the service is available to 156,000 Telewest homes. It is
    anticipated that this will increase to 500,000 by the end of the year.

As the service is rolled out, customers will be able to bet on a full range of sports, including the entire
    Euro 2000 Football competition.

Mark Blandford, Managing Director of Sportingbet.com (UK) Plc said:

"This is a step of enormous significance for Sportingbet.com and the entire gambling industry. Once
    again, Sportingbet.com has shown that despite the resources of our competitors, we are single
    minded about becoming the household name in new media bookmaking. Our technical team are
    second to none and as a result of the platform that we have developed, the Sportingbet.com service
    has greater capability and functionality. We are very proud to have become the worldıs first
    interactive television site to take a bet and we look forward to providing customers with even greater
    service and innovation".

One problem with this. I have WEBTV and I've bet Interactives at WSEX, so I (and many others, LOL) have bet Interactives on TV at WSEX long before today. But I'm glad there are others joining the interactive TV Game, because it WILL be big!!

Comment

Working...
    X