Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the point of using American style odds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the point of using American style odds?

I asked this question in another thread but nobody addressed it, so I decided to open a separate one.

I think that that American format is very inconvenient from almost all points of view. The simplest example is parlay.

American style odds may be convenient to see if a scalp is available for the events with two possible outcomes, but when you have three or more you still have to convert to a decimal format.

The only reason why so many books use this format that I can think of is a tradition. And the source of that tradition I think is bets made between two people, since in my opinion when you make a bet with some person, not a book, American style is the most suitable one.

Btw, the format that they use in Great Britain is almost the same, only even less convenient, I think.

I think the Brit fractions format is the worst, but agree that the Yank +/- system is, indeed, inferior to the Euro quote. I think the Yank system arose because it benefits the BM by psycologically sucking fave money out of the squares. They quote the fave price as the amount needed to win a unit. Fortunately some BM's are now putting up the software to allow bettors to choose the format they prefer. Intertops does this; Canbet just a few days ago added the feature.

Comment

Value is more important than convinence.

It seems Great Britan books like William Hill gives you the fairest shake.

Canbet seems very unfair with decimal pt system.I saw some outlandish vig on recent soccer and Tennis matches.

What most Vegas books lack is Variety and heart.I still can't believe no DonBest books had a Tiger Woods prop,they had 58 other golfers just not the Best.

Back to the parlay thing,it is what we are used to.

Red marker in golf is 100yds,not 100meters.
      They tried in the 70's to shove that meters stuff on us,it did not fly too well.

Comment

English books best with value? I doubt it

Comment

Alec,

I think there is an article (hopefully still in archives) by Shawn on the origin of the way this eventuated, too.

Comment

Working...
          X