No announcement yet.

The Future of Soccer Betting, Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, our office is a bit different to others, although split around the globe now, so we get some of that...

but in popularity, as you say, around 5 or so on the list...

If you enjoy what you bet on, then that is good too, however sometimes I really dislike watching what I have bet on, you can't coach the half back flankers from the lounge room, even if you want to

Comment

there is only 1 high scoring American sport anyway, basketball....

NFL games average what, 4 scores a team a game? So similar to baseball, and more than hockey. Baseball I guess is a bit higher these days though now, so they are happy to watch low scoring frequency stuff.

8 scores in 3 hours is 2 2/3 an hour

baseball more, how long does a hockey game take, similar length of time? 5-6 in taht timeframe

soccer is the 3 (ok, 2 in the French and Italian 2nd divisions ) range in 1.5, so lower, but not by a huge amount

basketball 100 or whatever in 2 and a half hours

footy around 48 in 2 and a half hours

Comment

AV,

Yeah, hockey games tend to take a bit less than 3 hours.

Alright, so soccer will become popular in USA if they award 10 points for each goal? That way the standard score would be 20-10, sound exciting already?

Or maybe they could import the Norwegian league and use the 10 points per goal rule, would get you lots of 40-30 games.

Comment

The reason soccer hasn't taken off as a spectator sport in the USA, despite its ever-increasing popularity among youth actually playing the game, is that the TV networks haven't pushed it hard, and the reason they haven't is that the format of the game does not allow enough pauses for beer and truck commercials. The banner ads simply don't cut it.

Comment

Soccer will never have success in USA (at least for the next 20 to 30 years).

However, scoring is not one of the reasons.

Take a look at Olympic's soccer total, they have MLS at 3 goals line more often than any of the European major leagues.

The failure of soccer in USA has a lots to do with the development of pro sports systems, different value/culture than other nations, and a few jerks.

If you are parents and you have kids in younger age, you should know soccer is much popular in young American than you may expect. Its not like they don't have chance to play this game, its not like they hate to play the game. However, when a kid that have the talents to be a pro player and moving on to college, soccer will never be his 1st , 2nd, or even 3rd choice.

Also, he will never have the chance to play in a high level of competition in US.

Because we have a totally different sytem here.

If not there are so many different parties have so many stakes and interests on the NCAA football and bastketball, if not the pro contracts have been getting out of hand for the last 10 to 15 years, if not the pro baseball and basketball team started to draft kids from high school,

I guarantee the American will be much more dominate on the track & field, swimming, and other traditional Olympic sports.

Its not like we need to blame it on somebody or the system but this is just a fact, like it or not.

Second of all, when a lot of Yanks will said, "F**k soccer, we don't care, it sucks."

We need to come down to the point of the "great" culture of the Yanks.

WE ARE THE WORLD!

If there is something that we can't be No.1, that must be suck.

Every world cup and world champion should be played in America and should be won by our teams or it sucks.

Let's face it, USA team sucked in soccer for almost....well forever.

We just don't care for a sport that if we can't win, and we are not even willing to talk about it when we got our asses kicked so often.

Let me give you another example, WTF is Tour De France if we don't have Armstrong for the last 2 years?

Tour De France,

Definition : Ignorant Euros riding on a bike with all kinds of unknown drugs and chemicals in their blood, take some tests on their bodies and you will know most of them are not humans, its not a sport, its just a modern scientific test.

And now, see what happened.

Finally, how about a few jerks.

Take a look back on the history of Pro Soccer leagues in America for the last 15 to 20 years, isn't it amazing that how those guys have run those leagues and how amzing it was that they have never learned anything?

MLS is a joke, mostly because we have a group of jerks that are currently running the show.

Try to make a comparison with their system, rules , schedule and even other tiny things to other major pro leahues in the world, you may take a good laugh on it.

Soccer sucks, because we suck. Welcome to America.

[This message has been edited by AYCE (edited 07-29-2000).]

Comment

Let's move back to the right track.

Let's talk about the markets.

I am not to famaliar with the Italian and East Europe market so I can't say much about it, but I believe the soccering betting market in GB is well established, unless there will be some dramatic changes in the next few years, I can't see there will some big shake up there.

Again, I maybe wrong and I would appreciate anyone with any insight on this.

But when we will shift our attention to the Asian market (which is a HUGE piece of pie) and this could be something very interesting for the next 2 to 3 years.

Like Shawn said, 2002 WC is a bomb. Not only that, plus the fact that 2002WC will be played at 2 major Asia countries, Japan and Korea, plus the fact of rapidly spreadout of internet in Asia, this is a really BIG bomb...

Macauslot started their online betting since last month for Euro2000 and I am expecting they will do pretty well for the coming European season. Jphan is still there, Singapore had already taken steps moving forward, and we also have Hong Kong...

Sources said they are seriously considering the possibility of legalized soccer betting in Hong Kong, which should be run by HKJC. Maybe its too early to speculate the result but I believe this is just a matter of time.

Because I believe Macauslot will have success in the next 2 years, I mean big success than ever. And I believe HKJC will not want to see their bettors money moving to someone's pocket.

HKJC even modified their schedules the last several season because of "the threat of Macau racing" in the summer (which is merely a threat when you will compare with their stakes). So I guarantee they will not just sit and watch a chance like WC 2002 pass by and let all the money going to Macauslot.

So, if we will have a well developed Macauslot and a legalized product from HKJC for the WC 2002, how will that shake up the whole betting picture?

How would that affect Jhpan? How would that affect some of those accounts at the "traditional big powers", granted, they may have higher limits and different services, but I can tell you once soccer betting will be legalized in Hong Kong, Singapore or even Malaysia, this WILL BE A WHOLE NEW GAME!

Macauslot and HKJC are both as solid as rock. You can view it as the Chinese government is behind of them and worrying you will get paid is no a question there.

So, are we looking for something in 2001? I don't know but I will doubt it, well, its not about the money involved for developing, its more about the conflicts, interests, balance of power and other political issues that must be solved first.

But I am seeing this will be a done deal before the WC 2002 and there will be other Asia regions/countires will follow.

The game is on!

Comment

Well if the HJC did it that would be interesting, seeing from what I have read they are not enamored of big organised punters/professionals etc - so what sort of limits would they have, or would they make it a big parimutuel pool? (which would of course be a disincentive for the larger bettor)

Comment

Working...
                X