X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Royal reviews last weeks action!**

Royal Review
    By Victor Ludorem

Thank goodness the nightmare is over just in time for Halloween. I felt like Col. Sanders having his eyes pecked out in a never ending episode of ‘The Birds’ until finally a ray of light no brighter than a neon lightning bolt cast away the dreaded Curse of Lou Holtz. Finally I tell you, and how I am glad to report a South Carolina final score. Tennessee 17 Gamecocks 14. That feels as good as when you STOP hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.
    Another good score to report was in the SEC battle between Arkansas and Auburn. Apparently the Hogs took exception this author’s ‘Deliverance’ reference of a couple of weeks ago and came up real big in the home of the only team with 3 mascots. The Razorbacks defied history, the odds and the 15 to1 ratio of (choose one) Plainsman, Tiger, or War Eagle bettors. A meaningless safety with only 3 seconds remaining took down a boatload of Auburn teasers.
    On the other hand, QB Drew Brees rallied Purdue in a thrilling fourth-quarter comeback over visiting Ohio State 31-27. The Boilermakers were cooking with gas as they scored 21 points in the final stanza. The Heisman hopeful has his sights set on putting the Purdue Marching Band in the Pasedena Rose Parade for the first time in 34 years.
    Likewise the players all loved the underdog Pitt Panthers +14 over Virginia Tech. at home. The Hokies with injured Michael Vick on the sideline scrambled late for the victory but not the cover.
    In the pros, Doug Flutie worked his magic again leading his team on to defeat the New York Jets 23-20. Many disgruntled bettors, who layed the -4.5, were calling the Bills head coach a SOB. Could this mean Son of Bum? You be the judge, but I don’t understand how there can be a QB controversy in Buffalo.
    The Tampa Bay Bucs-3 showed Minnesota what they could do with their Viking hats. The Royal bookmaker also sat on it as the bad 41-13 score would indicate. Usually any time a big game lands with the side and total out of the teaser zone, it is usually good for the store. Not this time however.
    In a high scoring soccer match the Pittsburgh Steelers out corner kicked the Baltimore Ravens 9-6. This looked too easy for the flock of Raven backers with the QB change from Banks to Dilfer. When will the Ravens score a touchdown? When Edgar Allan Poe’s raven cried “Never more” who knew he was talking about the Baltimore red-zone prowess. Some things “Never change.”
Working...
X