Status of Election Bets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chestrockwells,

I think your assessment of this is probably the most accurate I've seen on any board. This IS very much like your auto racing example. No matter who you want to win this thing or who you "need" to win this thing for gambling purposes, I think we can all agree that the sports books are in a terrible bind. I think "Chest" is right on when he says that the books want to have some kind of outcome here to "free up" the money wagered on this election, so do all of us who have a "scalp" on this thing!!! In a perfect world, the books would wait until a President is sworn in come January, but I don't think the bet was on who would BE president, it was who would WIN the election. In theory, neither Bush nor Gore could end up AS President and then you'd have no bet under the "wait until January scenario". Either way, there are going to be bettors who feel cheated, but they should not take this out on their sports book who is a victim in this bizarre scenario.

"Chest"--Good job, I think you have analyzed this correctly

Comment

Thanks MarkDel, hopefully by this time next week most everything will be resolved. If anyone knows with certainty of books that have already graded these bets, it would be nice to know. Thanks.

Comment

Here's another twist. What if the absentee ballots come in and the final count in Florida has the 2 ending up in a tie?

I know some places in the U.S. have provisions for this whereby the winner is decided by a coin flip but I somehow doubt that would apply for the President of the United States .

Comment

Actually New Mexico has a law that if an elction ends up tied, the participants shall settle the tie over a game of chance, so Gore and Bush may have to play a game of 5 Card Draw to see who gets New Mexico's 4 Electoral votes. Of course, they'll have to haggle on who deals the cards, who cuts the deck, etc., etc.
          Chestrockwells There was a Book that prematurely graded Bush as a win, but has since rescinded and has all those bets pending. I believe all shops have them in pending status.

[This message has been edited by The Guesser (edited 11-15-2000).]

Comment

I propose a football playoff game between Tennessee(Gore) and Texas(Bush) on a neutral field. The game would be a virtual pic'em. The election to the winner. It would be the highest rated, most viewed sporting event in history. The major networks would bid for exclusive rights, with a huge chunk to charities. The loser goes home with a cinch rematch in 2004.

Maybe that Railbird's health store is getting to me. Wheatgrass with a slice of orange?

Comment

actually ronbets, the football game should be between the dallas cowboys and the washington redskins. (if you want the "home" teams to fight it out.)

Comment

Yes wolfman, that would be the correct matchup. Upon further review however, the legal teams woud be battling for days on the game site. Also if the 'Skins won, Norv Turner would be immediately canned. Why? Daniel Snyder is a devout Republican. Louie Freeh would run out of men investigating this 'game'.

Alright then, let's try a matchup of UCONN(+7.5) vs. WYO in the Gator Bowl.

Comment

Working...
                X