multiple lines question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple lines question

I play at book X, and while looking at the lines from book X I was talking to friend on the phone about some plays we were fighting over, and I said, "at -4, I dunno,". He was looking at the screen for the same book and said the line was -3.5. Maybe my page was old, so I refreshed. Nope. He had 3.5 and i had 4. We wondered about that...

Question: today I have oak -11, and my friend has -11.5; which one of us is the square? And why would that be the only game they shade the .5, when 2 others are sitting on "3"?

Question: does anyone else know of any books that have incorporated multiple on-line lines for different bettors?

Question: if I'm the chump, who wants my action?

Question: do you want to know the book and should I reveal this?

Chilly

Chilly

I know a feew books that offer at least to lines for it's customers.

I feel it does not mattter to the bettor as long as the book does not constantly switch the line on you.

When book gives you the pointspread-1) you can bet it
    2) or pass
    no need to debate the line

bbb

Comment

Chilly,
      About the 3, even a square may take the +3½. Besides, running multiple lines is a tool to increase yur hold by ½ a percentage point. Smart books won't do it on numbers that they know will piss their players off and make their players leave.
      Rich
      Rich Rosenthal

Comment

Chilly,
        I suppose that I play at book (x) although I must say that the lines that they give to me are always honored. I am not as up to date as Chillin because I know nothing about the hold percentage that he is speaking about. I will say that I like the idea of having a different line or having more than one line offered to me on any given game because it gives me as a bettor more options. The old rule still stands though play or pass which I guess will never change. I am assuming that you are upset because you are being given a higher line on the favorites, then my advice to you would be to look at the slate for the day every once in a while and find yourself a dog to wager on. Two of them barked today as you can very well see, Philadelphia beat Washington straight out as well as New Orleans with a "BIG" upset over St.Louis. Hope this helps...

Comment

To add
          I know some locals that make up a line for squares.
          Example a total at 38 they may go up to 40 41
          knowing the player only plays overs.
          bbb

Comment

Chilly, it's a shameful, predatory practice by more books that one would think. Get an additional edge against the squares, as though the book really needed it.

Your friend is probably on the square line, since the favorite was inflated more. Some books have more than two lines.

Any online book that won't let you view lines as a guest (without logging on) is suspect for this practice, I believe.

Sure, tell us which book it is.

Comment

thanks for the replies...

I guess I should have more clear in my original post. I like different lines. I use as many as 7/8 books at a time. I was just describing a situation that I didn't know existed ON-LINE. I didn't know they had the ability to feed multiple lines over the net, as opposed to the phone.

And I think this was getting addressed, but is there a common way to view the multiple lines, a way to know which line is the square line? Is it always the extra hook on the fav?

In addition, can the software be even more sophisticated than that? Can they tell by my past plays what lines they want to give me, no matter the teams? THAT would be scary, because it would only be a matter of time before all books had the technology to know how to make you pay more for what you wanted--this is just like the amazon.com situation, where they were trying to see how much people would pay for products. If ALL books had the technology, you would be at their mercy, and not just "free to play or pass" since all outlets would be doing this to you....

Chilly

Comment

YOU CAN PLAY OR PASS BUT IF THEY DON'T HONOR THE LINE THEY GIVE YOU,BITCH LIKE CRAZY,ASK FOR A SUPERVISOR,THEN ASK FOR THE LINE MANAGER,AND IF THEY STILL WONT HONOR THE LINE THEY GAVE YOU, ASK FOR JUST ONE OTHER PERSON.

CUSTOMER SERVICE,AND CLOSE YOUR ACCOUNT ON THE SPOT!

REALITY

Comment

Kudos to Rio for dumping the multiple-line B.S. and going to one line for everyone. Although I've been critical of Rio in the past, they have really improved and are now one of my favorite books. They aren't afraid of having a different number than other Don Best books, and they are a great book for those looking to bet the cold side.

Comment

This isn't related, but I didn't want to start another thread.

This just happened with the SAME book: they inadvertently kept their 2nd half line on KC/SD up, as it nears the end of the 3rd quarter. I called up to notify them(after reading the good kharma posts, and reality's notes about past posting) about the problem, and get this, was told (a) I was wrong, the line COULDN'T be still up, and then (b) go ahead and bet it.

I told him the line was there, I wasn't crazy. He laughed, basically. I asked to speak to a supervisor. he said no. I asked for his name, and he said he didn't have to give it to me. I demanded (swore, I think) to speak to his supervisor and he hung up on me.

I bet the KC-3 to prove my point, and finally got a manager, who said thanks and offered a bonus.

unreal.....that's the last time I try to do a good dead....

Chilly

Comment

chilly,
                      with all the clone lines out there right now, and all they people who complain about the lack of variety, i wouldnt' tell ANYBODY where you are getting these lines. if you are sharp, you can use this to your advantage and bury this BM. you've got a money-maker here, but if you must give away your secret, e-mail me first, i'm always on the lookout for "unique" lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Chilly:
                        This isn't related, but I didn't want to start another thread.

This just happened with the SAME book: they inadvertently kept their 2nd half line on KC/SD up, as it nears the end of the 3rd quarter. I called up to notify them(after reading the good kharma posts, and reality's notes about past posting) about the problem, and get this, was told (a) I was wrong, the line COULDN'T be still up, and then (b) go ahead and bet it.

I told him the line was there, I wasn't crazy. He laughed, basically. I asked to speak to a supervisor. he said no. I asked for his name, and he said he didn't have to give it to me. I demanded (swore, I think) to speak to his supervisor and he hung up on me.

I bet the KC-3 to prove my point, and finally got a manager, who said thanks, apologized, deleted my bet, and offered a bonus.

unreal.....that might be the last time I try to do a good deed....

Chilly

Comment

Originally posted by Chilly:

CHILLY,

I WOULD NEVER CONDONE PAST POSTING BUT IN THIS CASE YOU ARE DOING GOD'S WORK.
                          YOUR RIDDING A BOOK OF THE BRAIN DEAD SUPERVISOR THAT SOMEWHERE DOWN THE LINE COULD COST THEM A LOT MORE THAN A SMALL LIMIT PROP BET.

ENJOY YOUR ONE TIME DISPENSATION.

HE WOULD APPROVE...

BROTHER REALITY

I bet the KC-3 to prove my point, and finally got a manager, who said thanks and offered a bonus.

unreal.....that's the last time I try to do a good dead....

Chilly[/B]

Comment

chilly,

REALITY is right, the kharma is still good, your's at least. this is just one more reason to pound this books brains in.....by their own rules no less!!!

Comment

Dual lines are out there.

What disturbs me more is your comment about not being able to speak to a supervisor and the operator saying he doesn't have to give you his name. Sounds like a real third rate operation!!! Please share the name of it. This is a customer service business now and people deserve to be treated properly, they shouldn't be treated as if the book is doing a favor for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X