Question about U.S. playing online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about U.S. playing online

I play online and hope to continue. if i understand correctly, the government will NOT attempt to get ME.

is this correct thinking on my part?

thanks

I think that's a safe assumption at this point......

If they do in fact put something into law, I think it would amount to occasioanl spot checks like they do for seat belts.....maybe write you a warning, maybew a small fine, and you're on your way.

Where players need to use common sense, is in claiming their winnings. If you get lucky and hit a monster parlay for 100k and conviently forget to mention that to uncle sam, then you're asking for trouble.......that's where the risk is for the player, not the actual process of making a bet.

Comment

The way the verbage has flowing is that the government wants to hold to the punter accountable for his action...

What is the difference in terms of punting if you win $2 or $100K??? The action is manking that transaction is the same!

Jeff:

In your example of winning a huge payoff...
      Wouldn't it be feasible to take a trip to Jamaica, Antigua, or Costa Rica meet your good bookmaker and get advise about opening an offshore bank account...

OK! We've been down this road as well. The US Government has a list of banks which have been tagged as money laudering no good sons of bytches...

The ultimate enforcement will be to follow the trail of electronic transactions from
      financial institutions through Neteller/Paypal types who then route to different offshore institutions...

My hope will be for a Neteller/Paypal lookalike not based in the US...

Any recommendations????

Comment

I still don't believe Neteller is located in the states. Perhaps we could get someone from there to post a response.

Comment

My point is just that it's doubtful and almost impossible to enforce, and that tax evasion should be more of a concern (not for small players).

True, offshore bank accounts have been mentioned, but most people are misinformed concerning this.

Opening an offshore account and trying to keep it secret is no different than bringing the winnings back and not reporting it.

There could be a vacation package at Club Fed for either of the above scenarios!

Comment

sportshobby - as far as I know Neteller is located in Alberta, Canada. These people should be smart enough not to function inside the U.S. That could ruined the whole operation, maybe not now but in the near future.

Comment

Working...
            X