Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The continuing saga of Art Schlichter .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The continuing saga of Art Schlichter .....

Friday, April 6, 2001
    Former QB jailed for card scam

By AP
    INDIANAPOLIS -- Former Colts quarterback Art Schlichter was sentenced yesterday to five years in federal prison for credit-card fraud and money laundering.

The 1982 first-round NFL draft pick, who pleaded guilty in January, was also ordered to pay nearly $170,000 in restitution and faces three years of supervised release.

Schlichter still could face state charges in Indiana and Ohio.

"This was not a surprise. It's sort of a relief," said Bill Dazey, Schlichter's lawyer. "I think he was very forthright in expressing his remorse and regret for the crimes. His main focus is to be given treatment."

Schlichter was indicted in August for a scheme in which he took money to buy tickets to Indiana Pacers, Indianapolis Colts and NCAA Final Four games, but never bought the tickets. Instead, he offered to pay the investors with checks he had stolen from his father. Dazey said Schlichter asked if he could participate in a gambling addiction program while in prison.

Schlichter's gambling habit ended a budding NFL career that started when the then-Baltimore Colts made him the fourth pick in the 1982 draft. He was suspended for a year in 1983 by the NFL for gambling, returned to the Colts in 1984, then was released in 1985.

This guy is a plain out sicko. He really puts a black eye on the industry. I wish they would just put him away without a phone forever!

Comment

I was at Ohio State from 1980-85 and watched Art's play seem to go South. I was just as sick (Compulsive Gambler) back then as Art is now. He could have pulled it together when he was with the Arena Football League but once he left it all ended.

He's got to be about 41 years old at this point. What does he have to look forward to now?

Comment

Why doesn't someone get Art on JR Miller's plays? JR is due to turn it around, and if Art loads up, he could make enough to pay everyone he owes and still have enough left over to start his own offshore book.

Comment

I kinda feel sorry for the guy. He's as hooked as can be.

Comment

The guy has problems and obviously needs help. Jail is probably the best thing for him at this point, because it may get him straightened out.

[url="http://www.bettorstalk.com"]bettorstalk.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
            X