Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA hoops point shaving

Point shaving still hasn’t been fixed by NCAA

I’m beginning to get that sinking feeling again.

Teddy Dupay is a basketball player entering his senior year at the University of Florida and who, according to two of the state’s largest newspapers, is being investigated by school officials for possible violations of the student code. The university’s police department confirmed that it has launched an investigation into gambling by a student athlete.

Florida’s compliance director also confirmed the school was investigating an incident involving gambling.

I’m hoping that Dupay, an honor student, is completely absolved of any wrongdoing.

The NCAA doesn’t need another point-shaving scandal. There have been six since 1992 - six too many.

The NCAA attempts to discourage placing bets and providing information to individuals involved in organized gambling activities concerning college athletes by enforcing a mandatory one-year suspension, but there needs to be a greater penalty.

A one-year suspension is not enough punishment. Especially when you consider the rise and acceptance of college basketball gambling, which can be a lure as well as a danger for college athletes, both suspecting and unsuspecting.

Gambling is big, big business. The FBI estimates that close to $2.5 billion is wagered illegally every year on the NCAA Tournament, from bets placed with small-time bookmakers to office pools.

In most cases, athletes involved in point-shaving scandals are burdened with gambling debts they couldn’t pay off.

They compounded their original mistake by agreeing to participate in schemes to ensure a game’s final scoring margin for betting purposes. The bribes they received either put money in their pocket or helped pay off their debts.

Arizona State basketball players Stevin Smith and Isaac Burton Jr. pleaded guilty in 1997 to conspiring to fix four games in exchange for their debts being forgiven and an additional payment of $20,000.

No one is immune.

They can be from a poor background, looking to get rich quick or merely putting some extra money in their pocket. It can just as easily be someone from a middle class family perfectly capable of affording a brand new vehicle for their child, who has already earned a college education on a full scholarship valued in the high five figures.

When speaking before the Committee on the Judiciary on the issue of gambling in college sports last June, Kentucky basketball coach Tubby Smith said one of the players he recruited when he coached at Tulsa was involved in a basketball point-shaving scandal at Northwestern a few years ago.

"This young man came from a very well-to-do family," Smith said, "and I never once thought he could be involved with a crime so sinister that it could not only rock Northwestern University, it would rock the very foundation of college basketball."

When Boston College basketball coach Tom Davis discovered his players were charged with point-shaving, 20 years ago, he went to the tape. Davis spent hours breaking down game film to determine if those players were deliberately making mistakes.

Davis couldn’t tell.

How many other potential point-shaving cases have there been that never went public?

The first major scandal occurred in 1951, when 32 college basketball players from seven schools were implicated in a scheme to "fix" 86 games.

Forty years later, the NCAA still hasn’t fixed the problem.

John Harris is a Blade sports columnist. E-mail him at [email protected].

I thought I heard he was being investigated for a "minor gambling infraction". The guy probably bet on a couple of football games - big deal. Its pitiful the way this has to be blown way out of proportion - implying this guy shaved points - what a joke. Didn't Fla cover just about every game this season - Isn't Dupay just about the toughest competitor you've ever seen? (Reminds me of Pete Rose - LOL).

Comment

Anyone heard the rumors about Jamal Tinsley and Iowa State......usually I dont pay to much attention to these but I kind of thought it was weird how shitty Iowa State played and could'nt cover towards the end of the year.......Lost at Texas by like 30 while being favored by 1.......Lost to baylor in the 1st round of the conference tourney while being favored by 12......lost to Hampton in the 1st round of the NCAA tourney while being favored by 18.......all this from a team who won the conference title and won at Kansas, blew out Oklahoma etc. I am not saying that losses dont happen but it seems weird how bad they were at the end of the year and Tinsley really shot poorly in a few of those games. Kind of makes a person wonder.......

Comment

I found it interesting that the BC coach went back afterwards to look at tapes, and STILL couldn't tell.......that's scary.

Comment

Well, these children have more reason to match fix than wealthy professional athletes.

Comment

I think basketball is the easiest sport to fix. Don't hear about too many baseball scandals.

Comment

Working...
            X