• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy V column 10/1

As I See It, by Jimmy Vaccaro
    Sunday, September 30, 2001

Losers = Lasagna for Dinner,
    So, Sunday I OD'd on Pasta

It is Sunday night and I got the Philly-Dallas game on. I usually spend Sunday nights looking at the weekend's box scores, and checking out the latest info on injuries. I also check out offshore books like Olympic, which -- along with a few others -- put early numbers on next week's games.

Oh yeah, and I do the work -- the final tally, from all the games I played this week.

It was not pretty. Saturday I actually won a "ham sandwich". But today I never got out of first gear, and when the smoke cleared I blew out the tranny.

One and four is never pretty, plus my double plays on the 'Skins and Denver, and a half time loser, got me nothing but receipts. But I think I got a claim coming. I want the tape over at Heritage 2000 played back. I thought the clerk said plus 40 instead of plus four when I played the 'Skins.

I only spoke with two people from the stores, but they sounded pretty happy with the pro results. I'm guessing my friend Roger did OK, because when I called Heritage he could not get to the phone as he was standing on top of all the teaser tickets.

Getting your brains beat in is no picnic, but simply a part of the racket.

When you are booking, you can blame it on bad numbers. But when you are in a room like I am right now with nobody around but your thoughts, you just accept it.

I usually eat a little more after a bad day and today is no different. So I cleaned out the fridge after Brian Greise threw the interception to ice that loss.

Yes, I am an eternal optimist as I was hoping just to get to O.T. and maybe Grbac throws a sideline pattern that I could catch. Never got a chance to root for a miracle.

So I ordered out from the Venetian restaurant, a double salad and some lasagna.

For all you Vegas old timers, that place owned by Lou Ruvo was definitely a "mustache joint" when I first hit town. Food is still fair, but not like it was. But ate everything and still scouting around the house for more.

I never get mad when I lose because it is like getting mad twice. I am already mad 'cause I blowed my cash so there is no need to get a headache also.

So I will continue my routine and work for a few more hours. If I am able to listen to the "Stardust Line" radio show after a day like today, that will probably be for another 20 minutes.

Now I got no recipe for any of this stuff and everyone does it their way, win or lose, and I got no beef with that.

Always remember for every loser there usually is a winner, and I am sure there are a lot of people out there who had a good week.

The only advice I would give no matter which side of the fence you are on is we can all start again tomorrow.

I have already begun as I took SMU plus 3 against Hawaii. I like to play against them when they come to the mainland and in this case Timmy Chang the QB for Hawaii got his wrist hurt against Rice on Saturday and is already listed as questionable. With him not at 100 percent, I got the best of it. His backup is not any good at all.

So hopefully next week's column isn't about my diet.

Stay well, Jimmy V.
    [email protected]

Nice column! I feel better already.

Comment

It was great weekend for me already,but just got a little better knowing this fat lasagna eater went 1-4.

Comment

Railbyrd,

When my kids reach 10 years old, I hope they turn out just like you.

Comment

Jimmy - that halftime loser - was it Indy? It was, wasn't it? Yeah, got me too.

Comment

Working...
          X