Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy V's column 11/7

As I See It, by Jimmy Vaccaro

Just remembering an old friend of mine, Alan Mallamud, a writer whose byline appeared in the now defunct Los Angeles Herald-Examiner.

His columns ran three times a week and were memorable because he condensed great info into short blurbs. Alan was our kind of guy, a sports writer who loved to gamble.

He also loved covering his alma mater, USC, which probably contributed to his untimely demise.

One day, watching a game from the press box, he experienced chest pains which got worse as the game progressed. Asked three times to go home by worried colleagues, he refused, for a perfectly natural reason: he had a decent play on the home team and wanted to see how it turned out. Well, the bet came in and he made it home safely where he then collapsed and died of a massive heart attack.

So, let us try to recreate the Alan Mallamud style by penning a few blurbs, giving a few responses to emails, and keep this circus moving.

College bad beat of the weekend had to be the total with Arkansas and Mississippi, if you had the under. But it was something to watch as it unfolded.

Do you remember back in the '80s, the Detroit Pistons' clock supervisor was a master at finding extra time just when the home team needed it? I lost track of him, but he surfaced at Michigan vs. Michigan St. with one second to go.

Finally the locals in Las Vegas have stopped touting UNLV QB Jason Thomas for the Heisman.

Derek Jeter is probably the biggest big-time playmaker I have ever seen.

If the Yankees would have won game 7, we would have seen the double switch again, this time Brenly to the booth and Showalter back to the field.

If Tampa Bay does not get rid of Tony Dungy this year, I will give away a new car to anyone who tells me why he should stay.

I had the Browns on Sunday . 'nuff said.

If you were Phil Jackson, would you trade Robert Horry for MJ?

Response to Kevin. I always keep the final power ratings from the previous college basketball season. Of course, I also look at the first set of new ones that come out and simply make my own conclusions.

Remember, anyone's preseason power ratings are simply an opinion from someone who has judged the value of the people who left a program and the impact incoming freshmen will have on the team.

In most, but not all cases, the hype is stronger than the actual impact a much heralded player will have, especially early in the season. So, I am usually looking to bet against the marquee guys who hold on to their power ratings early and are given the benefit of strength with the new guys. But remember, each game lives or dies on its own merit.

If I may, let me infringe upon the reader's time for a moment. I enjoy doing this column because most people seem to enjoy reading it. I try to be as upfront as I can about things and pass along what I consider informative items.

I can tell you that whatever happens, the future of offshore wagering should see a proliferation of shops for a long time to come.

It is no secret that I am much closer to those people than with the sports gaming community of Vegas. The turnover in town over the past five years has been pretty drastic, given the shortness of the time elapsed. I really only keep in touch with Nicky Bogdanovich who runs Mandalay Bay.

Having said that, I am starting an offshore report which can be picked up on www.legalwagerreport.com. I think it will help reveal how the other half lives.

I hope all the sites that use my column would allow this to be seen, but if you do not, I understand.

A lot of good people are helping me put this together and I would appreciate it if we could get some help publicizing it.

We are on a mini roll now, and I just can not see West Virginia scoring 80 again, so let's lay two touchdowns with revitalized Syracuse, which should get there by at least 24.

We like to hear from you at [email protected].

Stay well, Jimmy V.
Working...
X