Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Osborne - Gambling on sports is priority

BY DON WALTON Lincoln Journal Star

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OSBORNE

Nearing completion of his freshman year in Congress, Rep. Tom Osborne said Monday next year's goals included banning gambling on amateur athletics and penalizing entertainment companies that "deceptively market adult-rated material to children."
    Also on his list is expansion of national service projects.

Osborne said he would continue to concentrate on agriculture, education and economic development in his western and central Nebraska congressional district.

"I would like to see a better climate for our young people where no one is left behind and all young people have the greatest chance for success," the 3rd District Republican said.

"We are an aging district that is losing young people at an alarming rate. Through the incorporation of technology into economic development efforts, we can reverse this trend and grow our economies."

Farmers must have a chance to earn a profit, Osborne said, and young people ought to be able to choose agriculture as a career.

Osborne said he won approval this year of increased funding for agricultural research that "lays the groundwork for value-added initiatives which provide the most immediate opportunity to increase the profitability of agriculture."

In the area of education, he added a competitive grant program for mentoring to the elementary and secondary education bill.

Osborne co-sponsored a rural telecommunications enhancement act designed to increase broadband and other high-speed Internet services in rural areas.

Turning to future items on his agenda, Osborne said he was prepared to lead the charge to ban gambling on high school, college and Olympic athletic events.

"Organized gambling is bad for the game," said the former University of Nebraska football coach. "It is bad for the players. And it is bad for the coaches.

"Coaches and their players are expected to win twice. First, they must win the game. Then they must beat the point spread."

Osborne's proposed Call to Service Act of 2001 would expand opportunities for national service.

"We must ensure that all Americans - particularly our young people - have the opportunity to contribute either militarily or in their own communities," he said. Don Walton can be reached at 473-7248 or [email protected].

Osborne oughta know. He was one of the biggest offenders of running up the score and covering the spread for the alumni.

Comment

osborne should not have gone for two in the 1984 orange bowl vs. miami

a one point conversion would have tied the game, and nebraska would have won the national title anyway because they had one blemish, a tie, on their record while miami had one blemish, a loss

osborne said he wanted to win the title by winning the game

but what is long forgotten is that there were several minutes left in the game when irving 'i cut my hand with a knife cutting fruit not fighting with my wife' fryar dropped that two point conversion so if they had gone for one they could have said they were tying it up and hoping to get the ball back one more time for a game winning field goal

osborne sucks, too bad he'll be a senator from nebraska in a couple years and then maybe presidential candidate??? although that state doesn't fare well in that arena, as former sen. bob 'i banged debra winger even i only got one foot' kerrey will attest

who is the only other famous person from nebraska? that would be, you are correct sir, cornstalk breath, johhny 'i only beat two of my three wives' carson, the liver spotted coronary catastrophe ex-tv funnyman

Comment

oooops...i forgot one more

bob gibson, who once said to me at shea stadium in the 60s, 'i don't sign autographs on the day i pitch', and then i said to him, 'well suck my big one you big kazoo', is also from nebraska

actually i didnt say that to him, i was ten years old...he did snarl that to me though ill never forget it...or his breath

Comment

i don't think much of osborne either but your joke about Bob Kerry fell a little flat don't forget why he doen't have that other foot..............

Comment

he's no tom dempsey, who killed no civilians

Comment

I'm pretty liberal and the idiot pols who faught
              that stupid war deserve scorn but BoB Kerry was some guy just like the soldiers in afgahn now fighting for his country and doing what he was told and losing his flesh in the process

Comment

kerrey was told to murder a village full of innocent vietnamese women and children civilians? come on this guy makes lt. calley look like mary poppins, & he went to jail

i personally think we shoulda done what curtis lemay wanted to do---nuke nam

Comment

The whole industry of professional sports is dependent upon the gambling community. I could write a dissertation on it, but you all already what it would be about.

Comment

i guarantee you pro hockey doesn't depend on gambling

btw...did you know of the four major pro leagues the nhl sells the highest percentage of its available seats

Comment

OK NHL does get alot of fans to cum...

Butt I reckon the violence is a good enuff reason.

Hey, does any know if there any seats left for Thursday Night Wrestling???? How cum there are no lines for those bouts????

Fedya in AC

Comment

not half as much fighting in hockey as there used to be. remember dave schultz and bob kelly? those were the days.

Comment

At least Osborne is honest about it and aknowledges that there even is a pointspread. Better than those phonies who say they don't pay any attention to the spread.

Comment

don't forget don saleski and moose dupont

Comment

Working...
                            X