Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPORTINGBET.COM to the rescue! (taxes and legalization)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPORTINGBET.COM to the rescue! (taxes and legalization)

Let me pay £7.5m tax, begs chief

Press Association
    Tuesday May 14, 2002
    The Guardian

A British businessman is lobbying the US government to tax and regulate online gambling in an attempt to prevent the business being banned.
    Nigel Payne, chief executive of London-based Sportingbet, has placed adverts in US papers featuring an Englishman holding an umbrella under the slogan: "Please sir, can I pay some tax?"

He has hired an American lobbying firm to try to persuade Congress to force his company to pay £7.5m annually to US coffers.

The move follows attempts by several Congressmen to ban online gambling after years of confusion about its legal position. Americans are free to place bets on the internet, but online betting companies are not allowed to set up shop in the US.

Mr Payne said the US should follow the UK's example where the government has enforced strong regulation on the business and takes 15% in tax.

sportingbet

This is a great move for all of us. If they would get neteller or paypal I would be playing there in a heartbeat.

Comment

Neither NETeller or PayPal are difficult to get. If enough people asked them for the method then they'd probably sign right up. If they are looking to make a legal move into the US market, then they probably will add these methods soon.

Comment

Working...
      X