• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mob Enforcer Sticks to Testimony

Mob Enforcer Sticks to Testimony

By Denise Lavoie
    Associated Press Writer
    Thursday, May 16, 2002; 10:16 PM

BOSTON –– A top enforcer for mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger stuck by his claim under cross-examination Thursday that former FBI Agent John J. Connolly tipped him to the impending indictment of Bulger and other alleged mobsters.

Kevin Weeks was unwavering as Connolly's lawyer questioned his assertion that Connolly warned him indictments were coming against Bulger and others. Weeks said he immediately paged Bulger, who fled the same day and has been on the run ever since.

Connolly, 61, is charged with racketeering and obstruction of justice, accused of shielding Bulger and his cohort, Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi, from prosecution while the two gangsters worked simultaneously as FBI informants.

Outside court, Connolly insisted he never tipped off Bulger and other gangsters and denied even knowing the indictments were in the works.

"I never leaked information about the indictments in this case," he told reporters. "I never had that information, and if I did have that information, I would have never done anything like that."

Prosecutors introduced telephone records showing Connolly called the FBI's Boston headquarters on Dec. 23, 1994, a short time before Weeks claims Connolly went to a South Boston liquor store with the warning.

They claim Connolly not only tipped the gangsters that they were about to be indicted, but also told them about three men who had been talking to law enforcement officials about the gang's criminal activities. The three men were later killed by Bulger's gang in retaliation, prosecutors allege.

Under questioning from defense attorney Tracy Miner, Weeks acknowledged that Connolly told him he never authorized Bulger and Flemmi to commit violent crimes. He said Connolly told him that his supervisor at the FBI, John Morris, told him Flemmi and Bulger could continue to run illegal rackets, but nothing else.

"He told me Morris told him they were authorized to continue doing what they were doing," including loan-sharking, gambling and extortion, Weeks said.

Bulger's longtime girlfriend, Theresa Stanley, also testified Thursday. She confirmed Weeks' account that Bulger fled immediately after learning of the impending indictments.

whitey is probably in costa rica with all the other criminals on the lamb.

Comment

Working...
    X