Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bet on Who will be the next Knight-good prop

Betting on future pop knights

Ringo Starr is most likely to follow Sir Paul McCartney and Sir Mick Jagger as the next pop knight, a leading bookie says.

Ladbrokes is giving odds of 3-1 for the Beatles drummer to be dubbed in the next batch of honours in the New Year list.

Guitar legend Eric Clapton is second favourite at 4-1, with David Bowie at 5/1.

Sir Mick was given his honour in the Birthday Honours last month.

A knighthood for Sting is a 6-1 flutter, while outside shots include Rod Stewart at 20-1, while Sir Mick's guitarist bandmate Keith Richards is 14-1.

A Ladbrokes spokesman said: "These music stars are probably the most famous and popular in the world and some are sure to be recognized for their achievements by the Queen in the 2003 New Year Honors list."

Someone has to explain this to me.....

So first they become a "sir" and then a knight?

I'd vote for Jagger before Ringo.

Who decides who becomes what?

Comment

Not that I am up on my British aristocracy rules, but I think you become a "sir" first--in other words you are labeled a "gentleman". After that you can become a Knight--and I think the Queen decides that on her own.

With the group knights out there right now, it would make a very interesting round table.

Comment

Sir Prophet of Charleston...

"Sir" is simply the honorific that gets attached to your name once you become a knight. It's like when you get out of med school and all of a sudden John Doe is now "Dr. John Doe". Women who become knights are known as "Dame". Once you become a knight, your wife is known as "Lady".

There are actually a number of orders in which knighthood can be confered. For example, the Royal Victorian Order is awarded for exemplary service to the royal family. There's also the "Knights Bachelor" which is basically a catch-all for people that don't fall into any other category. Being recognized as a member of a specific order is usually regarded as a bigger deal than just getting a garden variety knighthood.

Also, non-Brits can be awarded honorary knighthood. Mayor Gulianni was one of the most recent to get this recognition. Foreigners who receive honorary knighthood can put "KBE" after their name (Knight of the British Empire) but are not addressed as "Sir".

I'll have to take a look at that prop and see what I make of it. Ringo is clearly the obvious choice. Sting is probably a little too young still. Clapton and Rod Stewart are good choices as well. Wonder if they have a line on a posthumous award for John Entwistle of The Who....

JRM
        THE PROPHET
        www.netprophetsports.com
        Affordable, successful and honest handicapping of all major sports and most minor sports.

www.netprophetsports.com

Comment

Knighthood odds.....

Ringo 3/1
          Clapton 4/1
          Bowie 5/1
          Sting 6/1
          Roger Waters 7/1
          David Gilmour 8/1
          Pete Townsend 8/1
          Roger Daltry 8/1
          Rod Stewart 20/1
          George Michael 25/1
          Noel Gallagher 100/1
          Liam Gallagher 150/1

There are others, but these are the most well known.

Ringo and Clapton are pretty obvious, but I think Rod Stewart is a pretty good value. He's getting up there now and is downright respectible. That he's in the same price range as George Michael is hard to believe.....

As far as John Entwistle goes, he's technically not eligible since he's dead. There are other awards they can give him but knighthood is not one of them.

JRM
          THE PROPHET
          www.netprophetsports.com
          Affordable, successful and honest handicapping of all major sports and most minor sports.

www.netprophetsports.com

Comment

who are Liam and Noel Gallagher? or Roger Waters? i would bet on clapton although sting is being noble in his quest to save the rain forest.

Comment

Roger Waters is of Pink Floyd fame I believe.

Comment

Laim and Noel Gallagher belong to a British rock group Oasis. i think they hit it big around 1994. don't know much about then.

brink, your right about Roger Waters. he is a founding member of "Pink Floyd" some of their cd's "dark side of the moon" "wish you were here" and of coarse "THE WALL" man i love that one. funny story, years ago when i would do my capping i would throw "THE WALL" on the player and have a case of beer and have a good ole time. every once and a while VH1 would have the film "THE WALL" on and i could not hear for 3 days. Waters has a cd out now called "Roger Waters Amused to Death"

as far as knighthood my pick would be:
                1. clapton
                2. stewart
                3. waters

Comment

jeff said jagger? i don't see him on the list. out of that list clapton seems the best choice but maybe thats because i'm not british.

Comment

That's because Mick is already "Sir Michael Jagger"--he was knighted by the Queen for "service to music" just a few days ago. Here's the link to the BBC story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/ent...00/2045077.stm

From a wagering standpoint, Clapton's probably the best bet but I still think Rod Stewart is a hell of a value at 20/1.

There were a few other guys on the prop bet listing but most were just obscure UK singer/songwriters that no one outside of England has ever heard of.

JRM
                    THE PROPHET
                    www.netprophetsports.com

Originally posted by freefallin
                    jeff said jagger? i don't see him on the list. out of that list clapton seems the best choice but maybe thats because i'm not british.

www.netprophetsports.com

Comment

Working...
                    X