X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Lines Desk by Nick Rizzo

Click Here to Read on Breaking News

From The Lines Desk… Show me the Money Line

While analyzing last weeks NFL results, I found that the NFL underdogs went 11-4 ATS** on Sunday.

"No big deal" is what you may be saying. And I can agree, but it also said that the 11 'dogs not only covered, each won the game outright. That's right, if you just picked the winner, you collected the money vs. the number in all 16 NFL games in Week Two. Now that's a really big deal and one that I cashed in on, because in a few of the games, I looked at the matchups as I always do, and then gambling line or points pread. After doing so, I truly believed that the underdogs that I liked in the early games- New Orleans and Jacksonville- looked like they could beat the Packers and Chiefs outright.

So on Friday night, I logged on to Sportingbestusa.com punched in my account and password and while I could have taken +2-pts. with the Saints and 3.5 with the Jags, the same screen showed that on the money, New Orleans was +115 and Jacksonville +145. Translated this meant that for every $100 I wagered, if the Saints won, I'd get back $115; the same $100 wagered on Jacksonville brought would bring back a nice $145.

On Saturday, I really liked Southern Cal to beat Colorado. The number showed the Buffs favored by 2.5. And once again, I felt I had a winner with the underdog, so rather than lay $110 to make $100 with the Trojans, I bet $150 on USC taking +120 on the money line. And when the Trojans cruised, $180 went into my account seconds after final gun sounded in beautiful Boulder.

On Sunday, I made another $115 with New Orleans and $145 more with the Jags. If I had bet all three games laying 11/ 10, my winnings would have been $350 earned from $385 risked. However, by opting for the gusto and really gambling by betting the money line odds (think of how you bet baseball if you need a concrete example) rather than taking the points, I pocketed $440 while risking only $350.

Let's look to the great John Huston movie, "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre," starring Humphrey Bogart: The bandit sees Dobbs (Bogart) and calls to his companions in Spanish. Their malevolent leader, Gold Hat (Alfonso Bedoya) steps forward and at first speaks congenially to Dobbs. Then the friendly conversation turns ugly and rage-filled - it is one of the most classic sets of lines in film history:

Gold Hat: Senor. We are Federales. "Joo" know, the "mon-ted "po-liss". Dobbs: If you're the police, where are your badges? Gold Hat: Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!

Well when you bet the money line, you're Gold Hat and sportingbetusa.com is Dobbs. Just think like this: "Points, we don't need no stinking points. We want to bet the money line."

Of course, if the points scare you, like they did with me Monday night with the Eagles, you can lay odds and a price. Envisioning a tussle, but sensing a Philly win, rather than lay 3-pts, I looked at the money line and played the Eagles at -150, risking $225 to make $150 at the odds of -150 to 100. If I had wanted to bet the abysmal-looking 'Skins, the return was +130 for every $100 bet.

The money line, when used wisely can work for you with both underdogs and favorites. But not to look at it when you log on to sportingbestusa.com is a bad move on your part because in this game to win money, we need every tool available. And to my bankroll, the money line is one handy very useful tool

Good luck in whatever you do.

Nick Rizzo

*ATS: Against the spread
Working...
X