Newcomer needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcomer needs help

Hello guys, how r u doing?I'm a newcomer in this forum as well as in the betting world.I've been reading this forum for a while and following some of the picks that has been posted here.

I need help on understanding the betting's term on ATS, SU etc etc. Can u guys point me on a website or just post those abbreviations means. Thanks a lot and have a good day.

Bucknutz,

Welcome to the party!!

You should probably do your own research if you are truly interested in handicapping or wagering for that matter. There is a ton of info. on the net to help you. Here are some basic terms for you:

Bet: To lay money on the correct prediction of an outcome. Also to lay, gamble and wager.

Bookmaker: The person who takes your bet.

Cent line: The cent line is the US system of prices. The type of cent line used determines the difference in price between the favourite and the underdog, and also determines the incremental difference between one line move and the next.

Circled Game: Applies to US sports. A game where the betting activity is limited by the bookmaker; this usually happens where bad weather or injury may significanlty alter the chances of either team winning, thereby making the outcome far more uncertain.

Dead Heat: Applies to Tournament-type bets, Three Balls (golf) and Top Batsman (cricket); where two or more competitors both qualify for an equal place.

Dog: Abbreviation of Underdog

Favorite: The team or player considered by the oddsmaker to have more chance of winning than their opponents.

Fixed-odds sports: Applies to US sports, namely NFL, College Football, NBA and College Basketball, where the price for the Side rarely moves from -1.10.

Gamble: See bet. Also wager and lay.

Gross Win: Your total payout, i.e. including your stake.

Handicap: A term usually associated with International sports. The handicap is the advantage given to the underdog, and the disadvantage given to the favourite, in order to even up the possible outcome of the event and give the bet more value. Known as the Spread in US sports.

Lay: To stake money on an outcome; to bet, wager or gamble.

Line: The odds, or the price. The figure by which you multiply your stake to calculate your winnings.

Net Win: The profit on your payout, i.e. excluding your stake.

Non fixed-odds sports: Applies to US sports, namely Major League Baseball and Ice Hockey, where the price for the Side is not fixed at -1.10 (see Fixed-odds sports).

Odds: Also the line, or the price. The figure by which you multiply your stake to calculate your potential winnings.

Oddsmaker: The person who establishes the odds.

Outright: The price to come first in a Tournament, as opposed to winning a place.

Payoff: The winnings on your bet

Payout: The winnings on your bet

Pointspread: Applies to US sports. The pointspread is the advantage given to the underdog, and the disadvantage attached to the favourite, in order to even up the outcome of the event and give the bet more value. See also Spread and Handicap.

Price: The odds or the line.

Push: A tie or a draw. There is no winner, therefore all bets become void and the stakes are returned.

Return Your winnings, including your stake.

Split: Applies to Tournament-type bets only. The figure by which the outright odds are multiplied in order to calculate the payout for a place.

Spread: See Pointspread.

Underdog The team or player considered by the oddsmaker to have less chance of winning than their opponents.

Value: Good odds / a good price.

Wager: To bet, lay or gamble.

Winnings: The money you win (your profit) if your bet is successful.

There alot of great cappers here at this site, so listen to what they have to say. They will ceratinly help you and win you some money!!!
    Good Luck,

The Hammer
    Sports-Plays.com

Comment

Welcome to the site....

Besides those,the two you asked about:

ATS- Against The Spread
      SU- Straight Up

Comment

Thanks hammer for the help. Where have u been last week?I waited for your post, but u didnt make it...

brooklynkid:thanks for the explanations...

is there any abbreviations that i need to know?

Good luck tomorrow fellas....

Comment

Hey bro,

Yeah, believe it or not we got a serious influx in clients who signed with us last week and we are trying a more personal approach. I have been so busy doing that, I haven't had time to post many plays here.

I'll have a nice write-up for this Saturday's games.

Tonight:

NHL

Ducks/Capitals OVER 5
          Flyers -.5
          Red Wings -.5

NBA

Miami/Boston UNDER
          New Orleans/Atlanta OVER
          Orlando -2

The Hammer

Comment

any other picks for tonite's nba games?

I like

Bucks/Minn u

sacto

Atlanta/NO u

Det and under

Comment

Bucknutz, welcome!

If you are interested in learning wager types and terms, check out our Bettor's Info section on the left hand navigation bar. There is a Sportsbetting 101 section there that will really help you out!

Comment

Working...
              X