Dragon1952 - CFB Thursday Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon1952 - CFB Thursday Night

Two games tonight in CFB action. I've already picked West Virginia in my Week 3 CFB post so here's a look at the other game.
    Just a bunch of rambling here for your reading enjoyment.

Air Force +8 vs TCU - This has got to be tough for TCU to have to bounce right back so soon. They had to be fired up big-time for that Texas game and to think you might actually have them at HT. Must have been hugely disappointing.
    Looks like Air Force hasn't fared well on Thursdays in the past only going 2-8 SU. Not sure how they've fared ATS though. They did win on Thursday last year though vs Colorado St.

KEY NOTES

TCU is 5-1 (SU) in short-week games in Gary Patterson's seven seasons as head coach.

TCU had a nine-game winning streak, fourth-longest in the nation, snapped last week at Texas. It was just the Frogs' fourth loss in their last 27 games.

The Frogs are beginning their third season in the MWC. TCU is 14-2 in its opening two years of league action.

As a head coach, Gary Patterson has a 9-0 record against the service academies (6-0 versus Army, 2-0 against Air Force and 1-0 versus Navy).

Since beginning Mountain West Conference play, TCU is 2-0 versus Air Force. The Frogs won 48-10 in Colorado Springs in 2005 and 38-14 in last year's regular-season finale in Fort Worth.

In the first half of its last 10 contests, TCU has outscored its opponents 216-13.

With Gary Patterson as head coach, TCU is 37-0 when allowing 17 points or less. Overall, the Frogs have won 52 consecutive games when holding the opponent to 17-or-fewer points. The streak began after a 17-7 loss at Northwestern on Sept. 11, 1999.

Did you see that 1st H stat! Wow....makes you want to bet the barn. Current line on the 1st H is TCU -4.5 (-115) at www.sports.com.

I wonder how many of TCU's short weeks have followed emotional disappointments like the Texas game!
    Some stats:
    In 2005 TCU lost 1 game (to SMU!). The following game was a short week game at home vs Utah. TCU won 23-20 in OT and were trailing 10-7 at HT. Last year after getting clobbered by BYU for their first loss, they followed up the next week (not a short week) by losing again 20-7 at Utah.
    TCU has had only 3 lossed in the past 2 years so there's not a whole lot of data on how they typically perform after their 1st loss. I think I would be hesitant to jump on the 1st H bet though, expecting TCU to maybe come out a little down.
    More stats from Usatoday:
    * TCU are 9-2 ATS vs. a team with a winning record.
    * TCU are 19-7 ATS in their last 26 games overall.
    * AIRFC are 0-8 ATS in their last 8 games on Grass. (their current field is FieldTurf)
    * AIRFC are 2-8 ATS in their last 10 games overall.
    * Over is 6-2 in AIRFC last 8 games in September

Air Force has only given up 143 yds rushing in 67 attempts over the first 2 games, although those rushing attacks are no where near the quality of TCU, it does say something about the rushing defense. They've also only given up 15 pts.
    Air Force is catching TCU at the beginning of the season this year for a change, for whatever that's worth.
    TCU gets SMU next week, the team that gave them their only blemish in 2005. They couldn't possibly be thinking of that at this point, could they? Hmmm.
    I think I'm going with Air Force based on:
    Double revenge and home field, TCU emotional loss to Texas and their past 2 performances after losses, SMU coming up, early season meeting for a change and A.F. 2 game win streak and recent defensive effort has them feeling good. TCU will probably win the game though but I'll take 8. The under also looks interesting at 42.
    Now you all know how stupid the logic is on my picks

Everyone keep betting on Maryland and TCU please. As it stands now it's:
    WV -16 and A.F. +8.5 (-105) . I think A.F. may get to +9

Comment

Nice job Dragon.
      ;)

Comment

Thanks bud That was quite a finish by A.F.

Comment

Working...
        X