X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOONE MOONE-NFL PLAYOFFS

WEEKEND GAMES FOR JAN. 12, 13, 2008

GREEN BAY -7 1/2 VS. SEATTLE

This game opened up exactly where it should have, that is -- the Packers as a touhdown favorite........And at first glance, I was tempted to jump on the points..........The Seahawks having just disposed of the pretty hot Washington Redskins with consummate ease, and knowing full well that Shaun Alexander is playing better now that he's finally healthy, than he has all season........but when you factor in the thought of Matt Hasselback not quite being 100% as sources indicate, and the even bigger fact that the Green Bay squad is well rested and an undeniably much better team up at Lambeau at this time of year, and I don't think a touchdown is enough to sway me onto Seattle at this point........A good showing by weapons Ryan Grant and receivers Jennings and Driver, and I think ol' man Favre could have a mediocre game and still cover this spot..........Just think of how ugly this one could get if he comes out firing like he usually does at home in the playoffs.............PACKERS 27 SEAHWAWKS 13

NEW ENGLAND -14 VS. JACKSONVILLE

History in the making..........I was a mere 13-year-old in Jr. High School when the Miami Dolphins and Coach Don Shula along with Bob Griese, Larry Csonka, Jim Kiick, Paul Warfield, Nick Bounoconti and the inimitible Garo Yepremian outlasted the Washington Redskins in the Superbowl 14-7 to become the first NFL team to complete a season as undefeated champions........Well, records are made to be broken - as they say, and barring any significant turn of events, this one will fall next.........There is really not a whole lot left to say about the Patriots remarkable season, and although the majority of fans across America want to see someone beat them, and bash Brady and see Bellechick receive a dose of his own medicine, it's just not very likely to happen..........They are indeed a "cut above" the rest right now (and have been all season) and just when you think they are about to fall, they come back and do what it takes to get the job done.......There's no doubt in my mind that the Jaguars are playing some of the best football by any team left in the playoffs, but with New England having the capabilities to score whenever they feel like it, I just don't think anyone can come within two-touchdowns of this team when they play their best game at their home stadium.......Sure, they looked far from invincible when they had the close calls with Baltimore, and more recently with New York Giants......but you've gotta admit, both of these teams had the Patriots beat, and found ways to lose.........That's what the great teams do, they find ways to win........ As far as this game goes, Brady will pick apart the Jacksonville defense on the long passes, and first-time playoff QB David Garrard will succumb to the numbing temperatures, relentless crowd noise, and the numbing and bone-jarring hits by the "middle-men" on the New England defense - to pull away early and hold sway late in this one.........PATRIOTS 34 JAGUARS 14

INDIANAPOLIS -8 1/2 VS. SAN DIEGO

Plain and simple, the Chargers just haven't impressed the way they did last year.........QB Rivers couldn't carry Peyton Manning's jock strap with help from a construction crane.......La Danian Tomlinson hasn't been the L.T. we became accustomed to watch running through our living rooms every Sunday as in past years........The Chargers were hard-pressed to come up with points against a pourous Tennessee defense that was less than stellar all year long........On the other hand, the Colts are one of the most rested, best-rehearsed teams on the planet, throw Marvin Harrison, the home-field advantage, and the simple fact that they are the defending Super Bowl champs into the equation -- and this one could be over by halftime........Colts roll here..........COLTS 38 CHARGERS 17

TIME DOES NOT PERMIT ME TO POST MY THOUGHTS ON THE DALLAS/NEW YORK GIANTS GAME AT THE MOMENT.........WILL ADD MY VIEW ON THAT GAME RIGHT HERE TOMORROW (SATURDAY)..........GOOD LUCK TO YOU !!!
    ;)

i hope you are leaning cowboys Boone....

CF2

Comment

Originally posted by Boone Moone
      INDIANAPOLIS -8 1/2 VS. SAN DIEGO

Plain and simple, the Chargers just haven't impressed the way they did last year.........QB Rivers couldn't carry Peyton Manning's jock strap with help from a construction crane.......La Danian Tomlinson hasn't been the L.T. we became accustomed to watch running through our living rooms every Sunday as in past years........The Chargers were hard-pressed to come up with points against a pourous Tennessee defense that was less than stellar all year long........On the other hand, the Colts are one of the most rested, best-rehearsed teams on the planet, throw Marvin Harrison, the home-field advantage, and the simple fact that they are the defending Super Bowl champs into the equation -- and this one could be over by halftime........Colts roll here..........COLTS 38 CHARGERS 17
      IMO ... when a team wins 7 consecutive games in the NFL, straight up + against the number ... i.e.

Jan 6 SAN DIEGO -10 W (17-6 over Ten)
      Dec 30 San Diego -7.5 W (30-17 over Oak)
      Dec 24 SAN DIEGO -9 W (23-3 over Den)
      Dec 16 SAN DIEGO -10 W (51-14 over Det)
      Dec 9 San Diego +1 W (23-17 over Ten)
      Dec 2 San Diego -6 W (24-10 over KC)
      Nov 25 SAN DIEGO -9.5 W (32-14 over Bal)

(even vs poor quality opponents)

is coming off its 1st playoff win in a decade plus ...

and, facing an opponent this week that has had its own season interrupted by a series of injuries to important players, on both sides of the ball, and is only now returning to quasi-full strength ...

it's a dangerous proposition to take this team lightly ... playing indoors (as a warm-weather west coast outfit) and getting +9.5 pts.

Caveat Emptor

Comment

FOR THOSE INTERESTED, THIS IS THE FINAL PIECE TO THE 4-TEAM PARLAY.........WE'VE SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST:

DALLAS -7 1/2 VS. NEW YORK GIANTS

The New York Giants looked like a team more apt to be coached by Bill Parcells last week than one by Tom Coughlin......They got the job done against a limping Tampa Bay squad but will find the hostile setting in Dallas much more difficult come this Sunday.........Tony Romo can't wait to get his hands on the ball for this, trying to redeem himself for last months follies and last year's Championship failure.......Without getting too deep, I see Dallas covering the number easier than any other favorite this weekend........COWBOYS 34 GIANTS 20

Good Luck to all this weekend !!!
        ;)

Comment

Well I dicked around and missed the start of the GB/Seattle game. I was looking to take Seattle at +8 or greater but missed the cutoff. Anyway, with Seattle up 14-0 I was able to get an 'in running' bet in on GB +4.5 at +120

Comment

As an early heads-up ... please take note that San Diego has now won and covered the number in 8 straight games ... and, IMO, with Antonio Cromartie (CB) in the line-up, happens to have one of the few DBs in the NFL today capable of going mano e mano with Randy Moss.

Depending on (#1) the health of Rivers (QB) & Tomlinson (RB), and (#2) the exact number this game lands on, at gametime ... Caveat Emptor, once again, when it comes to playing against this outfit right now.

Comment

no way in hell this SD team will win this week......covering the number is a distinct possibilty though

i give them their props because they beat a good Indy team but it was an Indy team that really put in a poor effort defensively...surprising

CF2

Comment

I really don't think it was that poor of a defensive effort on the Colts part as much as it was just a stellar effort on the Chargers part, both offensively and defensively.
                As for New England, their defense isn't all that great. The Chargers could indeed win that game.

Comment

Even with my horrific predictions over the weekend, I still think I received a royal dicking on that New England game........Anybody watching knows that they were at least 24 points better than Jacksonville and just werent "permitted" to cover in this spot..........I think they go balls out this weekend against the Chargers and finally show their best........Spread and all, I'm back on the Pats..........The NFC game has me scratching my head though..........any thoughts here guys?
                  ;)

Comment

On the New England/Jax game.....there was the missed FG which should have been a gimme and there was the shoestring tackle which prevented the TD and also on the same drive the dropped 3rd down pass by Welker that would have given them a 1st down at around the 5 yd line and they had to settle for 3. That 7 pt swing would have made the outcome an 18 pt win.
                    As for the NFC game this week, I think the Pack covers the TD. No way the Giants play 4 great games in a row....right???

Comment

I think the Pats cover pretty easily too. As much as I want SD to win, I juts don't think they have it in them.

As for the NFC, I have to back the Pack too. I am going to bank on an ELI meltdown that is bound to happen, (see rex grossman) and if he does have a good game, I will give him credit. Can't argue with what hes done so far, but I still don't have the confidence to put my money on him.

Think my play will be a 7-point tease:

Green Bay pk
                      New England -6.5 (if I can get that-would like tokeep it off 7--13.5 at my booksright now.)

Comment

Good Luck to you guys..........Myself, I've got all guns loaded on the Patriots tomorrow.......some of it at -13.5, but most of it early at -14...........It won't matter anyway, I say they win by closer to 30 points in this spot........Sell the ranch..............I hate the Chargers out here...........Half of those "Charger" backers were wearing "Raider Gear" 3 years ago or so............I recognized some of these snatches on TV when the Chargers played the Broncos late in the season..............bunch of fair-weather gashes is all they are............Hope the Patriots win 45-0.

As for the other game, I'm of course rooting for the Old Man Brett Favre to get it done in this spot, but if I bet on this one, I'll have to take the Giants and the 7-points to cover somehow..........They look to be pretty evenly matched at this point, because the Giants defensive front has been playing almost as good as Little Eli has..............Don't really care one way or the other on this game............Good Luck guys !!
                        ;)

Comment

I read somewhere where both Rivers and Gates are doubtful. I'll believe it when I see it but it is very possible. It's unfortunate they are so unhealthy at this time of year.

Comment

Green Bay vs Giants

Allways a tough spot three straight road games
                            for the G-Man

Game Time Weather

1 degree wind chill -20 Below at kick off.
                            Winds 10-13 mph

Its really all or nothing for Farve, smells like
                            Green Bay Packer Weather

The entire world is on Green Bay current spread
                            GB -7.5

The Giants have a formidable Defense but if
                            they cant get to Farve with Pressure he will
                            pick them apart.

One thing that has really stood out to me in
                            watching the Packers is just how hard they hit
                            especially in the secondary.

Eli may have the worst game of his career
                            vs Green Bay's Defense.

This is smash mouth football played by
                            the frozen chosen (This is as good at it gets in Football)

Should be one Hell of a Game, I dont like the hook
                            at 7.5 ....

I will take the OVER at 41 for this game

Good Luck all

Carpet

Comment

My play for the day is the teaser I mentioned earliuer:

NE -7
                              GB pk

seems like the most logical choice in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X