Woodee12 5-11 5pts.
    Miklos 4-12 4pts.
    mmiles 4-12 4pts.
    Taxman 3-13 3pts.
    Winandwin 3-13 3pts.
    Charlatan 2-14 2pts.
    O2manscot 2-14 2pts.
    ppeter 0-16 0pts.

Just bitchin', but a tie should never, ever be the same as a loss. It's a push, a no play.

Anyone who picked Kansas or NDSU should not be graded the same as someone who picked Wake Forest West Virginia!

Why do we always go around and around with this tie thing here on BW? A tie is a tie is a tie. It's not a loss. Or a win. Treat it as such. Or make all the games half points.

Too late now, I know. It was in the rules.

Comment

Mea Culpa!

I also lost yesterday with the Kansas pick. However, in fairness to all, NO changing the contest rules which you agree on.

laxsfo99

Comment

Maybe just change the pointspreads to half points then. There is enough movement in the lines to see which way the line is moving and adjust it by a half point quite fairly.

I'd hate to see anybody with 2 or 3 pushes lose by one point to a guy with no pushes. As we get in to the higher point rounds it could get even more unfair.

I appreciate you all for organizing. Just making a common sense suggestion that should be fair to implement and prevent some hard feelings. 10 of the 22 players had Kansas or NDSU.

Comment

I say for today or this weekend leave it like the rules stated, but we definetly can and should change it for next weekend or even tomorrow as long we state it ahead of time. It obviously benefits noone to keep it the same. I am not a big fan of adding or subtracting half points to the line, but in this scenario it is probably the right thing to do since we are going by a point system instead of outright records. It is too late to do it for today's games, but Laxsfo99 if you just move all lines a half point in the direction they are moving for tomorrow's games, I don't think you will get any objections.

Comment

Wisconsin:

It's my understanding that there has been only one (1) tie in the March Madness Contest. The only tie, so far, was yesterday's Kansas - North Dakota game. Am I right or were their others in Day 1?

I'm willing to change the tie rule as long as all contest participants have a vote in the say.

I don’t feel comfortable in revising lines by half points. I can foresee this causing more problems down line especially should someone lose a game by a half point.

How about asking for a vote from the contest participants on the following options later this afternoon:

1) No change – tie is a loss – no points awarded

2) Tie is a tie – no points awarded (basically same as above option 1)

3) Tie will receive a half-point (0.5) for tomorrow’s game (Day 4); for next Weekend 2 one point (1.0); and final Weekend 3 one and half points (1.5)

4) A tie is considered a win and the initial agreed upon weighed points are awarded starting tomorrow (Day 4) and continuing Weekend 2 and the final weekend.

5) Other -(provide suggestion)

laxsfo99

Comment

Laxsfo99

There has been only one tie so far, but the odds makers do get closer with the lines around the sweet 16 and elite 8. I can honestly tell you that I was very happy to see the Kansas game end in a tie because I didn't have either team. It is a pretty big advantage to have not chosen that game. As far as adjusting the line by a half point, the lines move continuously anyways, so some of the lines you post change a lot by gametime anyways. So, for you to add or subtract a half point in the way it is moving shouldn't be that big of a difference.
              I personally don't believe in giving points for picking ties because then there there is a reward just for choosing that game to bet. I really don't think anyone should or would have a problem with moving the line, if they do then they really don't understand anyways. If they see the line move as a huge advantage then they should jump on that game. A huge part of sports betting is knowing when a line is in your favor and jumping on that game, so if there are handicappers that notice it and some that don't then maybe the ones who do are the ones who deserve to win the prize money. This is a betting site, not a everyone pick there favorite color team and mascot.
              I don't think we would ever really get a chance for everyone to vote, we can hardly get them to make their picks, so it is pretty much up to you to decide to adjust the points or not. I am good with whatever you decide. And please don't take anything I have tried to explain as offensive. I am just trying to make my thoughts clear.
              Another point for adjusting the lines is that if there are 3 or 4 guys in the running for the final game and it lands on a tie, it would kind of take some of the fun out of it.
              As I said, I am good with whatever you are comfortable with and decide to do.

Comment

I vote for number 3. (Just thinking out loud) Maybe in the future it would be best to count wins as +1, losses as -1, and ties as 0. I know its a little late for that but just a thought.

Comment

If we change it now so where future ties get points, then it isn't really fair to those who have already got one counted as a loss. And if we alter point spreads, no one else can ever get a tie to make up for the one the OP have already got. I don't think it should be counted as a loss in the won/loss records, just for bragging rights or whatever, even though it makes no difference if you just don't count them at all. I'm 9-6-1, not 9-7.....it just sounds better. I'll go with the majority and not bitch, but I think we ought to just leave it alone (except don't count them as losses)

Comment

Thanks for your input. No changes for tomorrow's (Sunday, March 22 Games).
                    Will consider revision on ties for next weekend 2 round and take into consideration additional input from contest participants.

laxsfo99

Comment

There has been one game decided on a tie
                      a game in which I had N Dakota State and it was
                      deemed a loss, I knew the rules when I came in
                      and there shall be no change.

So we give everyone a tie, same thing as a loss

The rules must stand as posted

Carpet

Comment

While I don't disagree that there is a difference between a loss and a tie, the rules were decided on before it started and it was clearly stated that a tie was a loss. For future contests, maybe ties should be worth a 1/2 point, but I think it should stay the same for this contest, or at least not be changed until the sweet 16.

Comment

I think this one is simple. The rules at the start of the contest stated that a tie was a loss. Because we will already have 4 days under our belts by the end of the weekend (and a total of 24 games that will be graded that way) then I think it should stay that way for the rest of the contest.

I'm not saying that is right but it certainly was plain to see at the start of the contest and it doesn't seem fair to change it now that we have started the contest. Plus, there are only 15 total games left in the whole contest and even if we pick them all it won't balance against the 24 games already graded under the original rules.

Comment

The half point addition or subtraction from the line is the easiest way to go without changing any rules. If you look at a website that shows the line at a number of books, it's easy to see which way to take the line by a half point.

Comment

Well, not to nitpick, but adding/subtracting a 1/2 pt would actually be changing the rules because the rules state that the lines used would be the posted USAToday lines the night prior to the games being played.
                              I think we should just leave it as is. Also, since total points at the end of the contest is the only determining factor, per the rules, we don't even really have to keep track of ties/losses.

Comment

Working...
                              X