• Show
Clear All

• Game of the Week Prizes NFL + COLLEGE

1st place $750

2nd Place $350

3rd Place $250

4th Place $100

5th Place $50

We'll use the same amount for all three major contests......NFL and College Game of the week as well as the Hilton Contest............

Also - lets come up with tie breakers now so there's no question.

Lastly, just in case the site slows to a crawl on opening day like last year, let's come up with some rules for that as well........like, either get em in early or tough cookies if the sites goes down.

I think we should do away with the deadlines. That way, if the site goes down or slows to a crawl on game day, you can still pick the later games that are scheduled. For instance, in the NFL Game of the week contest.... if you don't post your pick by 1 pm sunday and the site is slow on sunday morning, your punishment is that you have to pick either the 4 pm or 8 pm games that day. If you don't get the pick in on sunday, there's still the monday night game to choose from. Seems pretty easy to me.

Also, as far as the college football contest.... I think the deadline should at least be changed from 11 am saturday morning to noon on saturday. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone posted a game between 11 am and noon on game day saturday in this contest. Umm.... the games don't start until noon.... why is the deadline 11 AM? I think we punish the players with these meaningless deadlines.

Comment

I certainly appreciate the contests so I will go with whatever is decided of course. I agree with Monroe though- I don't see the need for strict deadlines. It's not like there is a real rush to tabulate the scores so as long as the pick is made before the game starts, i think that is all that should matter.

Comment

I agree that it would be nice to just have kickoff time as the deadline, but I think the deadlines are so the scorer doesn't have to check each and every game to see if they actually beat the kickoff for that particular game. What if there were 30-40 posts after noon on Saturday? He would have to check to make sure each of them were posted before kickoff. So he would have to check the kickoff time for each game and then check the posting time and maybe adjust for time zone differences also.

The NFL is easier. You could say 1 PM EST, and if you miss that then the Sunday night game and if you miss that, the Monday night game. College is tougher. But Noon would be more reasonable.

Comment

Let's get ties straight this year also.

Ties should be counted as a half point and forget adjusting the lines to half points.

Then total points wins it. And a tiebreaker could be awarded to the person who had one more win rather than two ties for example.

Comment

I also like the ties = 1/2 pt and no adjusting the lines. As for the deadline, I agree it shouldn't be too hard for the scorer if we use morning game, afternoon game and evening/Monday Night game deadlines. However, it would be nice to have a deadline at least 30 minutes prior to game times. Part of the fun of this contest is to potentially ride someone's hot streak, and if they wait to post 5 mins before game time we couldn't do that. Also, the contest has the potential to draw others to the website to follow the contestants picks. Since Jeff is being so kind as to put up a lot of money, we should help as much as possible to repay him by bringing in more website visitors. It would also be cool if we could use the opening lines, before they get bet one way or the other.

Comment

Just my 2 cents.... But I think the person who will be keeping score should have a major say in this. He is the one who will hae to see if all the posts are made on time. If their is a deadline keeping track of posting times is a whole lot easier. Why make it difficult for the person keeping score?

Comment

My 2 cents as a guy who keeps the scores sometimes. The purpose of this site and the contests is to get some insight into betting the games. It is nice to see 3 or 4 of the top ten pick the same team and then throw a wager down on that team. I am not sure what insight a person needs for the last hour leading up to the game considering the lines have been posted all week. The weather? Even that isn't going to change that much in the last hour. It sounds like a little bit of procrastination. Changing the Saturday games to gametime would be a lot of extra work for the scorekeeper. Maybe those of you who want it should keep score. As for Sunday it wouldn't be as big of a deal, but we will lose some good information from all of our pickers in the process, which is the purpose of these contests in the first place. If you are a good handicapper I am sure you know your top pick for the week long before an hour before kickoff. I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, just my thoughts on why we are doing this in the first place and trying to keep it easier for the scorekeepers. Good luck to everyone this year!!!!!!

Comment

So a good compromise might be 11:59 AM EST for College and NFL. And for the NFL, we could allow the Sunday and Monday night games for those who space out altogether or get jammed up online.

Comment

I agree that it would be good for site traffic if people started coming to the site because they could see all the great picks one hour before kickoff.

11:59:59 Deadline

Comment

The college rules are SET. I post a deadline of 1 hour b 4 kickoff of the first game on Sat for 2 reason: 1.Easier 2 grade. 2. Reaction time for all the followers to get down on hot cappers who post late. The object is too make $$. If a guy thats HOTT posts 2 min b 4 kick off, how the hell am I or anyone else is gonna have time to get down on the play too?

Iv been doin this for 5 years now, and every year we get more hits per week. I think last year we averaged OVER 1000 hits EVERY WEEK for the 13 week contest.

Comment

Has any final decision on ties and deadlines been made in each of the contests?

Comment

read the rules for the college contest, u will find ur answer there

Comment

I say who ever is posting the scores chooses the time deadlines to make it easier for them.

Also it makes sense to me to have the deadlines early enough so others have time to ride the hot streak of the people doing well.

Playing in the contest is fun and theres prizes but the real benefit is getting good information out of it for your own real sports bets.

Comment

just out of curiosity how much you guys throw down on average on a "hot capper"?

Comment

Working...
                              X