Monday Night Football - Green Bay at Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday Night Football - Green Bay at Minnesota

The current line at sports.com sports book is Minnesota -5 with a total of 46. The line opened at -3.5 but everyone seems to be expecting Favre to really have it out for his old team. I'm not sure that's the case. In fact, he is likely to have mixed emotions about it. But I'm sure his teammates will be extra fired up for this one, especially the defense perhaps?
    Not sure I like the spread that much either way, but the total of 46 looks interesting.
    Viking Offense - Minnesota is likely to pound the ball a lot with RB Adrian Peterson tonight. The Vikings are only averaging around 170 yds per game passing, and their longest pass play has only been 36 yds. They are averaging 30 rushes per game, with Peterson getting around 20 of those, and doing well with them with 357 yds and 4TD's, and a healthy 6.1 ypc average. They did pass a lot more against San Francisco, but the 49er's were doing a pretty good job of shutting down the running game, as Peterson was held to 85 yds on 19 carries, and 35 yds of that was on one play. Plus, the Vikes were airing it out on the 80 yd winning drive. Overall, the Vikings are only averaging 317 ypg on offense, and their offensive point total of 81 is probably a little deceiving as they have played 2 of the poorer defenses in Cleveland and Detroit, and probably should have been held to just 20 against the 49ers (if not for the miracle TD completion at the end). They just don't have a very scary passing attack, with RB Chester Taylor leading the pack with just 15 receptions for 103 yds, and rookie Percy Harvin 2nd with 12 for 128 yds. In last year's 2 meetings, the Vikings were held to well under 200 yds passing in both games (with Tavarius Jackson and Gus Frerotte), with Peterson rumbling for a combined 49 carries for 295 yds and 2 TD's. The total in the 1st game was 43, which including 7 pts on a punt return. And 55 in the second game, which featured 2 safeties on GB, and 2 DST scores by the Packers.
    Viking Defense - The Viking defense is only allowing an average of 259 yds per game, 167 yds passing and 92 rushing. They have also allowed just 8 of 32 3rd down conversions, or just 22%. They have 8 sacks and have forced 6 turnovers (4 INTs'), and have not allowed a rushing TD.
    Packer Offense - Green Bay is only averaging 313 yds of offense per game, 105 rushing and 207 passing, and have just 74 pts attributed to the offense. Of course 421 yds and 36 of those points came against St Louis last week. RB Ryan grant has done OK, logging 206 yds and 2 TD's on 56 carries, for a 3.7 ypc average, but his longest run has only been 17 yds. QB Rodgers can scamper a bit too with 15 rushes for 88 yds (5.9 yd avg) and a TD. He has been able to find WR's Donald Driver and Greg Jennings for several big plays resulting in 3 TD's, but for the most part has been pretty average. The Green Bay offense has only turned the ball over 1 time (fumble). In the 2 meetings last year, Rodgers was a combined 33 of 48 but for just 320 yds and 1 TD, with no INT's. Grant had pretty good success with a combined 28 carries for 167 yds (5.9 ypc avg), and 1 TD.
    Packer Defense - Green Bay is giving up an average of around 335 yds per game, with nearly 129 of those coming on the ground. They have only generated 5 sacks for 28 yds, but have forced 9 TO's, including 7 INT's, however, 4 of those INT's came against Chicago in Cutler's Bear debut the 1st game of the season. They have given up 63 pts, with nearly half of those coming from the 31-24 loss to the Bengals in Week 2. They have given up 300 yds rushing in the past 2 weeks to the Bengal and Ram rushing attacks.
    Everyone likes high scoring Monday Night games, and the total is likely adjusted a little to reflect that. While I was writing this, the total has jumped to 46.5, and we may even see a 47, at least temporarily.

In the last 6 meetings, the totals have been 16, 40, 34, 39, 43 and 55. As mentioned before, the '55' featured 2 safeties and 2 defensive/special team scores.
    I am expecting a lower scoring game, with the running games dominating. As long as we don't get a bunch of defense/special teams scoring like in the 2nd meeting last year , I think the under looks like a decent proposition.

As for the 5 pt spread, the margins of victory in 5 of the last 6 meetings have been 2, 6, 7, 5 and 1. In the other game, featuring Brooks Bollinger at QB for Minnesota, a Favre-led 2007 Green Bay team rolled 34-0.
    If I had to make a spread pick, I think I would be tempted to go with the hype, and pick the Viking defense to shut down the Pack in a game something like Vikings 24 Packers 16.
    But my best bet would be UN 46.5 (or more hopefully), and maybe a parlay on Min -2.5 / UN 48 where I would buy 1 1/2 pts on the total and 2 1/2 on the spread. (at sports.com you can buy up to 3 pts). That parlay would pay around +160.

Disclaimer: Keep in mind, I am overdue for a loss!

I think the Farve hype will be overshadowed by the AP show.

I think the gameplan will be to run and throw short to him all night, until Bret Settles in a bit.

Hopefully he just keeps it cool and does not try to do too much and uses the people around him and not try to throw deep and turn it in to a Farve Shit Show, like he had a couple times in his other life as a Packer.

Obviously, I have the Vikings, but only SU to complete a ML parlay with the Steelers last night.

That being said, If I were you, I would probably take Green Bay on the ML they way my plays have found a way to lose no metter what.

Oh, yeah, Go Redbirds in the playoffs!

Comment

Small opinion on this one. Dragon, I think you stay hot and the under wins. The game, man there is so much hype who knows. If someone held a gun to my head I guess I would go with Minnesota. Don't like the fact that GB has covered 5 out of the last 6. Also, the over is 7-1-1 the last nine. I guess I'm bucking both trends and going with Minny under.

Comment

Whatever the trends may be, remember, most of those games were the Brett Favre led Packers

Comment

Last I saw, 85% of the action on the over and 71% on Minnesota to cover.

Comment

Got to figure that if that is true that both of those won't win or Vegas is going to have a very bad night. Hope it is Minny and under!! Yes, I knew most of those trends were with Farve. Anyway, goodluck to you and all.

Comment

Guys - you have to keep in mind, when looking at those percentages, it's not the percentage of money bet, but the actual individual bets.

Could be lots of 20 dollar wagers in those figures.

With that in mind, if you're using those percentages as part of your handicapping, look for games where the percentage is high one way, yet the line moves the other way. That's an excellent indication of sharp money.

Comment

Noted. I agree with Dragon, AP and the Minnesota defense will be the story not Farve and Rodgers. Could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.

Comment

I'm rooting against Favre........I think it will make game 2 in a few weeks even more interesting.

Favre going back to Green Bay to see if he can beat the Packers.......

Comment

Originally posted by Bettorsworld
                    Guys - you have to keep in mind, when looking at those percentages, it's not the percentage of money bet, but the actual individual bets.

Could be lots of 20 dollar wagers in those figures.

With that in mind, if you're using those percentages as part of your handicapping, look for games where the percentage is high one way, yet the line moves the other way. That's an excellent indication of sharp money.
                    I don't usually even look at them. I just posted it because some like to look at them.

Comment

Does anyone remember when Montana played Young for the first time? I think it was a total beat down by the cheifs and Montana. Really not sure and I know it has no bearing on this game but interesting to say the least.

Comment

Well there goes the under. When you pick the under, the worst thing that can happen are quick strikes. Green Bay has got 2. This is the 2nd night in a row where that has happened to me with the holding the runner up and stripping the ball. In my opinion they need to blow that play dead sooner instead of letting the defense hold the runner up for 5 seconds and stripping the ball when forward progress is obviously stopped. It's a crock of shit.

Comment

Man, that was awful. Just hope Minnesota holds on, but I have my doubts. 35 in the first half, unreal!!

Comment

Believe it or not Dragon, we have a shot. If Minnesota goes plays ball control which we both thought they would do, we do have a shot. Not likely, but I'M the ultimate optimist!!

Comment

I know.....it was false hope though. What a pathetic possession by Minnesota, using about 8 seconds and giving the ball back with 3:30 left, and not going for the 1 ft on 4th down at the Packer 40. I wish they would have lost the game. Would've served them right for being such pussies.

Comment

Working...
                              X