Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Raider Oct 10 College pick # 1

Colorado State +6.5

Perception, as my good friend voiceofreason likes to say, is a key element in handicapping college football games. This game is very much about perception as many people think Utah is a similar team that they were last year. While I think they are a solid club, they are nowhere near the team they were last year, especially after losing star running back Matt Asiata for the rest of the year to an ACL injury. Many people also saw that Colorado State lost to an improved Idaho team on the road last week, but I watched the game and Idaho played their asses off and in my opinion CSU has nothing to be ashamed about. Colorado State plays a lot better at home and Steve Fairchild’s squad will supremely motivated to play conference foe Utah this week. CSU is getting good QB play from Grant Stucker (54.8% comp., 10 TD/ 6 INT). He has two reliable backs to hand off to in Leonard Mason (4.8 ypc., 1 TD) and John Mosure (4.6 ypc., 2 TD). CSU has had seven different players catch touchdown passes this season, led by WR’s Rashaun Greer (19 rec., 21.2 ypr.), Dion Morton (12 rec., 19.8 ypr., 3 TD) and Tyson Liggett (13 rec., 14.2 ypr., 2 TD). CSU’s balance on offense should allow them to move the ball more effectively than most people would think in this game. I’ve seen Utah’s defense this year and it’s not the same unit as last year’s, giving up almost 20 points a game (remember that their opponents include SJSU, Utah State and Louisville- all offensively challenged clubs). It’s going to be a lot to ask Utah QB Terrance Cain to go on the road and put the team on his shoulders with this being only his second ever road start. Can RB Eddie Wide step up in Asiata’s absence? I’m thinking it will be difficult to duplicate Asiata’s production which means Utah will have to rely more on their passing game. CSU will have to eye Utah WR’s David Reed (26 rec., 13.8 ypr., 2 TD) and Jereme Brooks (14 rec., 13.6 ypr. 3 TD), but I feel they are up to the task. The bottom line for me is that I see a good deal of value in getting a motivated CSU team at home getting almost a touchdown and I will ride with them this week.

Thanx, for the tip Two EZ

Comment

Working...
    X