ILLINOIS -16.5 vs Purdue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILLINOIS -16.5 vs Purdue

When I first saw that line I thought to myself I would have never expected Illinois to be favored over any team this late in the year by that margin.

Purdue is hopeful that the 3rd string QB will be able to play but they are preparing the 4th string QB just in case. Word out of Purdue today was the 3rd sttringer will play despite an injury to his finger.

I dont think PURDUE will score many points on this Illinois Defense. The concern I have with Illinois is the offense has become timid.

More research needed for me to land on this game......more to follow

I am at ground level looking at this game, Carpets view;

Lets take a look at Purdue.
    QB Henry (I think that his name) a 3rd string QB is expected to play vs Illinois, He suffered a injury to his finger during the Ohio State game. I believe that his finger nail got ripped off on his throwing hand. Henry is not much of a passing QB anyway his strength is running the ball.

Purdue's receiving corps is decimated and even if Henry was a good throwing QB he would have no one to throw it to. The injury roster for the boilermakers is a long one.

Purdues defense is slightly better than Indiana who has no defense, but I see this defense being on the field a long time in this game and fatigue will play a factor late.

Lets take a Look at ILLINOIS
    This is not the same Illinois team we have seen the last 3 years, this one is different.

The Illini have played the toughest SOS Schedule in the nation losing only to 3 top ranked teams this year. The defense of Illinois has come a long way.

This Defense is ranked 15th in the nation in points allowed at 17.7 pg.
    19th in Rushing defense yards allowed 112
    23rd in Total Defense

Illinois defense has allowed just 8 touchdowns in 25 attempts in the red zone from opponents, this is 3rd in the nation behind ALABAMA and WV.

Here is how I think the game goes:

Illinois defense will stop Purdues one dimensional running attack that is without question. Purdue will play more of a wild cat style of offense to give the QB some room to run. The defense of Illinois will smother this QB.

The defense of Purdue will be on the field a long time vs a strong running attack offense of Illinois, Leshoure a 232 bruiser will punish this defense every time he has the ball. Illinois will throw 3 backs at you all with contrasting styles. Leshoure has 4 100 yard rushing games this year and will pick up his 5th in this game.

ILLINOIS 36- PURDUE 13

This is a much improved Illinois team on defense, they fly to the ball with bone jarring tackles. The front 4 is solid and Martez Wilson LB is starting to show his 5 star status. Vic Koening new defense coach has done a remarkable job molding this talent into a fighting unit and it shows on the field.

Comment

I agree with you Carpet, even in the last two wins that Purdue has had they have looked awful. They tried to lose and still didn't lose those two games against N. Western and Minn. Purdue can run the ball some though, they will have to. They sure can't throw the ball very good. Lets go Illinois!!
      [COLOR=Red]Arizona DiamondBacker[/COLOR]

Comment

Wrong!

You will get to know Ryan Kerrigan Saturday. I take offense that you said Purdue's D is slightly better than Indiana. Where is the WRONG buzzer!

Let me educate you about Purdue's defense. This was the strength of the team going in and still is.

Purdue's D gives up 365 per game; 232 passing 133 rushing; 3.5 yds/rush What is Illinois' strength, running the ball?
        Indiana's D gives up 384 per game; 216 passing 169 rushing; 5.5 yds/rush

Furthermore, before the Ohio St. asshoppin' Purdue had given up 17 their last two games.

Purdue's B team offense is playing, backup QB Henry can run the ball.

I knew Purdue would get drilled last week. Can you say revenge game from last week? Purdue beat Ohio State at home last year and had it stuck to them at the half.

I certainly believe Illinois will look past Purdue for the Michigan game next week.

If NW can only score 17 and you are giving me 17, well, do the math.
        I will take gladly take all 17 points! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
          Wrong!

You will get to know Ryan Kerrigan Saturday. I take offense that you said Purdue's D is slightly better than Indiana. Where is the WRONG buzzer!

Let me educate you about Purdue's defense. This was the strength of the team going in and still is.

Purdue's D gives up 365 per game; 232 passing 133 rushing; 3.5 yds/rush What is Illinois' strength, running the ball?
          Indiana's D gives up 384 per game; 216 passing 169 rushing; 5.5 yds/rush
          !
          Slightly better is correct, lets look at your numbers , Purdue is only allowing 19 yards less per game than Indiana, and on the ground they are allowing only 36 yards less per game than Indy.

I still think Purdue has not faced a team with such a strong running attack as Illinois

Comment

The punting game will also be a factor in this game, Purdue has gained a total of 15 yards this season on punt returns, averaging 1.25 yards per return, ranking 188th out 120 in this area.

Illinois has a great punter Santella ranked 6th in the nation avg 46.5 yards NET a kick. I just dont see Purdue winning the field position battle for this game.

Taxman brought up a name Kerrigan, this kid is a defensive beast and loves to crush QB's. I dont see him getting to Illinois QB much because Illinois does not throw the ball that often. Kerrigan does have speed to play the pursuit game well and is a impressive player that is for sure.

This not a look ahead game for Illinois the coaches and team are squarely focused on Purdue and getting one more game close to bowl elgibility.

Purdue is just to banged up to come in a beat Illinois and not with a red shirt walk on 4th string QB its just aint gonna happen.

Comment

There is nothing more I can say on this game.

Good luck all.

Carpet

Comment

Carpet, do you want to place a lunch wager on this? I'll take the current line of +17.

Plus, it is a good excuse to get together and get caught up.

Good luck

Comment

sounds good to me a bet it is Taxman

Comment

Good luck Carpet!

Comment

Illinois rolls 44-10

Illinois defense dominates Purdues offense allowing only 205 total yards 52 by air and 153 on the ground.

The offense of Illinois rolls over Purdue rushing for over 187 yards and racking up 391 total yards.

Sheelhaase QB of Illinois had 4 touchdown passes.

Another solid performance by the Illini defense and one step closer to bowl time

Comment

Yikes!

I had the game Tivo'd and have no desire to watch it. You were dead on. Dang, fade me whenever I post here, I think my run rate is a perfect 100% fade.

I've got your email address. I'm in Houston this week. Need to prepare for the the Global Gaming Convention in Vegas in a couple of weeks. So let's try the week of Thanksgiving.

Congrats!

Comment

It's a nice win for Illinois and I thank you for your kind words TaxMan, the week of November 21st looks good to me I like steak.

Next up Michigan for the Illini and I will be right here ground floor for that game.

I see some interesting wrinkles early on this one

Carpet

Comment

Nice. Didn't think they were going to dominate.

Comment

Working...
                            X