Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MENS NCAA BASKETBALL NORTH CAROLINA at ILLINOIS

North Carolina comes calling on Illinois 11-30-2010

This game is starting to take on a special meaning for this Illinois basketball team. The loss to Carolina in the National Championship sending Illinois to a 37-2 record is one that can never be erased from the mind of any Illini fan.

While there are no current players left from that 2005 squad the loss resonates even today with the current players. They all feel that NC took that from them. Yes Illinois avenged that title loss by beating NC at Tar Pit land last year. Let's just call this the X-factor in this game.

NC is coming off 2 bad losses to Minn and Vandy. Tonight taking on COC and on the road to Illinois, that in itself is hard on a team to prepare for any game, but this game is at assembly Hall one of the toughest places to play in the nation.

Lets take a look at The Tar Heels:

They are strong inside, very physical and a solid rebounding team. NC has a 9.6 Rebounding Margin advantage per game. The strong inside play of Josh Henson who is # 8 in the nation in rebounds per game at 11.8 in 21 mins a game is going to cause Illinois problems inside.

On Offense NC really doesn't move the ball around a lot and the guard play is really suspect. Super Frosh Harrison Barnes has just played awful last two games I call that the Frosh roller coaster.

A Look at Illinois

Soft inside again this year, even with having two 7 foot centers a Senior and a potential superstar freshmen.

Illinois is a good shooting team # 22 in the nation at a 49.5% clip. This is due to the play of mccamey PG who leads the nation in assist. The Defense of Illinois is solid especially defending from beyond the arc holding teams to just 27% shooting.

This is without a doubt the most talent Illinois has had as a team in 5 years if not since the 1989 flying Illinois, Illinois moves the ball very well on a motion offense and in transition they are fun to watch.

Foul trouble in the game is going to haunt Mike Tisdale center for Illinois, I even envision him getting called for a foul during pre game warm up . The ticky tack fouls he picks up in a game drives a coach crazy. I know NC is going to go right after tisdale.

When they do off the bench comes another 7 footer young play who at times just looks lost you can see it but you can also see flashes of talent. It is a big drop off when tisdale goes out.

Final Thoughts:

This is going to be a tough week and a fun week for Illini basketball after this game a trip out west to play the Zags, Coach Weber knew he had something special with this team and he scheduled a top flight tough slate of games to see what he has.

Illinois should serve up home court and win this game 82-75

Illinois opens 5.5 chalk at home vs NC

That sounds about right.

NC coming off a lackluster win over college of charleston 74-67

A Couple of Mickey D's All Americans showcase the skill , Harrison Barnes # 1 High school player in the nation playing against Jerome Richmond of Illinois. These 2 studs have played against each other many times and should be fun to watch.

Illinois at home the place is going to be rocking, Orange Crush will be out in force.

I have a great deal of respect for NC basketball and the team they bring is loaded with talent, They have not found their game as team yet and I dont expect them to find it at Illinois.

My numbers say Illinois by 7 pulling away late at the line going 1-1 forever all night.

Comment

Just wanted to let my friends know I am checking in for the last time before I go to the game, down here today game day and the atmosphere is electric. I have never seen so much hype on a basketball game in Illinois in 5 years.

This team, the Fans have really made this a STATEMENT GAME for this young Illini team, A loss here would be devestating for Illinois heading off to gonzaga and I dont see a loss coming.

This is going to be a great game there are no less than 7 Mickey D all americans playing in this game.

The line has moved to -6.5

I see Illinois having a great first half and the letting the foot off the gas in the second half allowing the tar heels to climb back in it.

Free throws and foul trouble will dictate this game.

82-75 Illinois

Comment

Heading off to the game just got a report that there are over 1000 Orange Krush students in line since 5 today waiting to get in

Comment

Great call..........

Comment

Just getting back from the game at the Hall last night and I can tell you first hand that this Illinois team is loaded with Talent and will only get better at the year goes on.

Illinois forces NC into over 20 turnovers as the guard play of Illinois was just to much for the tar heels.

79-67 Illinois

Now onto GonZaga a 3pm ESPN Matchup

Comment

Working...
            X