BIG 10 Football Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG 10 Football Review Thread

We are getting closer to kicking off the season and I thought it would be interesting to provide a review of the BIG 10. When time permits I plan to do a small write up on every team in the Big 10 conference.

This year in the Big 10 there has been a lot of team news. The Ohio State debacle, Nebraska joining the conference, Wisky picking up a stud QB from NC State and a lot more. So with that please allow me to share with you my thoughts on the Big 10. I will start with Nebraska.

The Corn Huskers are a confident bunch and feel that they can make a immediate impact on the Big 10, in fact ask any red blooded Nebraska fan and they will tell you that they are going to win the Big 10 title. Well not so fast "Lil Red" fans.

While new to the Big 10 the schedule is anything less than easy. They kick off vs Wisconsin in Madison, Have Ohio State in flat lands, and finish with games at Penn State and Michigan, a slight reprieve from the road to finish with Iowa at home.

The Huskers are a running team, they operate out of a no huddle offense to run the ball. This team was dead last in the big 12 last year in passing 150 yards a game. They better get better in a hurry mixing things up on running and passing, because these opponents will just mud hole this one dimensional offensive attack.

On defense they are solid, returning 6 starts on Defense that placed 9th in the nation in fewest points allowed and also 11th in yards allowed per game.

Nebraska is a great addition to the Big 10 and should really allow some great football, I do not see them dominating the Big 10 this year. 4 Losses are a good bet.

More to follow on the Big 10.......

Please feel free to add any formative thoughts or information on the Big 10.

Carpet

Carpet, wondering when you would let us in on the latest in the big ten. I also am curious
    how Nebraska will stack up against the big ten. The one thing is I am just wondering how in the big 12 it was mostly spread and wide open. The big ten seems to be a more power conference. I agree that they had better learn to throw the ball or it could be rough on them. Most magazines I read have them winning their division. I don't know much about the big ten but not so sure I agree with that. Thanks for the wright up... Keep them comming, I am so ready for football. Just not into baseball at all. RR84

Comment

That should read, thanks for the write up keep them coming..

Comment

For the record I hate Nebraska!

I will preview Iowa at some point in this thread.

Comment

A LOOK AT ILLINOIS

A Look at Illinois

Last year the Illini made it back to a bowl game after a 3 year absence. They closed out the year pounding Baylor in the Texas Bowl to finish with a 7-6 record.

The Illini return 8 players on Offense, 6 on Defense and 2 on special teams. The loss of Leshoure at running back is going to be hard to replace. Illinois has always been known for its great running backs and they are stacked again at this position. 4 quality backs, Ford, Pollard, Golden and Ferguson can all carry the rock.

The Offensive Line is going to be solid this year and we all know that Petrino is going to run the ball. Returning at QB is Nathan Sheelhasse (pronounced Sheel House). A fleet footed stud who can really run the ball causing defenses fits on the contain. It is expected that Nathan's game will improve this year especially in the passing game.

Complimenting this QB and his arsenal is several very fast and good receivers.

ON DEFENSE

The defense remains a huge question mark with the loss of several key players, one solid shining area is that of the CB with Terry Hawthorne back and is finally healthy, the black cat hails from east saint louis high and is a converted receiver for the Illini. A healthy Hawthorne at the corner is great news for this defense.

THE SCHEDULE

Coach Zook finally gets to open the first game of the season vs a team not called Missouri. The schedule favors the Illini this year and they have no reason to pull off even a better record from last year. 6 of the first 7 games are at home for ILL. Let's take a look at the schedule

Home vs AK State WIN
          H SD State WIN
          H AZ State Loss
          H W Mich WIN
          H NW WIN
          Away Indiana WIN
          H Ohio State Loss
          A Purdue Loss
          A Penn St Loss
          H Michigan Win
          H Wisky Loss
          A Minny Win

Comment

ILLINOIS

Offensive Coach Paul Petrino (former Arkansas OC) plays by a strategy he call's FTS (Feed the Studs the ball). Place your best players with the ball and feed them. It is pretty simple and this coach is really good at it.

Petrino in his 2nd year at Illinois is itching to place even a deeper inprint at Illinois as he guides a Super Star QB into a offensive machine.

I believe that this will be on of the best running teams in the Big 10 and if they can get the QB to turn the half-corner in passing the future looks bright for Illinois this year.

Comment

Originally posted by woodee12 View Post
              For the record I hate Nebraska!

I will preview Iowa at some point in this thread.
              Woodee12

Tha would be great if you could do a Iowa write up , all the help is indeed appreciated. If you have another team with great insight also please feel free to post your big 10 thoughts.

I know Taxman has got something for us on Purdue (I hope)

Comment

What if I throw you a curve ball and say Penn st will win the big ten.. Honestly, I don't know much about them or the big ten, but this is my pick. I go further and say they beat bama straight up... Hmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by red raider 84 View Post
                  What if I throw you a curve ball and say Penn st will win the big ten.. Honestly, I don't know much about them or the big ten, but this is my pick. I go further and say they beat bama straight up... Hmmm....
                  I would call that a slider and not a curve still a good pitch to throw out there. Red last year both our two teams had the pleasure of playing Penn State.

At Bama 24-3 the tide rolled.
                  At PSU Illinois won 33-13 in happy valley.

This year only one thing remains constant at Penn State Joe Pa is still the coach. The QB situation is a problem without a known starting QB same problem they had last year.

Penn State lost the best O Line player they had and combine that with a brutal schedule I see 8-4 a possibility. Let's take a look at the schedule.

When you look at schedule for PSU, one thing jumps off the carpet, they are only on the road 4 times as a team, good chess play schedule for Joe Pa in his last year.

Penn plays BAMA at Happy Valley
                  Nebraska
                  Illinois

On the road last 2 games of the year vs Ohio State and Wisconsin.

It will be hard to win at Happy Valley that is for sure, last year PSU was in flux at many defensive positions, my review says that they still have the same problems as a team.

I do not think Penn State wins the Big 10 this year.

Please consider this my addition of Penn State to the the thread

Comment

Its only 20 days till Camp Rantoul where Illinois begins training camp.

Camp Rantoul is located in the middle of no where, a former U S Air Force base was there in the past today a ghost town. There is nothing to do for 3 weeks except football in the heat and humidity.

There are no distractions, just football in the heat dedicated to one goal-WIN GAMES

3 weeks of balls to the wall football. Coach Zook is intense with his energy.

The Oklahoma drill awaits at training camp.

Carpet thinks that this will be a special camp to get this team ready.

Comment

Carpet, you are the big ten guy and I really don't know crap about them and I only say that Penn st has a shot.. Now I think Michigan will be better and I read things about NW. My first thought would have been Mich st. which could be good unless they play Bama..lol... I don't think the buckeyes do shit... Too many problems.. Kind of reminds me of how South Carolina could finally win the sec East. Florida was down as well was Georgia and Tennessee.. IF not then, then when.. So the same thing with Penn st.. They are going to be good, this is a fact.. Now if not now then when?
                      Again, I am nothing on the big ten so take this with a grain of salt!!

Comment

3 days until Camp Rantoul for Illinois and all eyes are on the new comer Donovonn Young, This running back hales from Katy HS in Houston Texas. As a senior he rushed for 2,332 yards and 36 TD's. (Did I just say 36 td's?)

Illinois thinks so highly of this young recruit they gave him the # 5 jersey worn by both Rashard Mendenhall and Mikel Leshoure both NFL running backs from the Illini. This kid is really good and fits in well at running back university. Here is a clip on this kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICNRkO76czQ

Comment

Working...
                        X