Shoebox betting system for the NHL during shortened season:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoebox betting system for the NHL during shortened season:

Hypothesis: NHL teams in a strike shortened season will do poorly in the second of back to back games on consecutive dates.

Research: In the limited sample the NHL has provided so far, teams in this situation are 8-15 straight up. When on the road, they are a miserable 5-10.

Test: When betting the money line against ALL NHL teams in the second of back of to back games on consecutive dates, one would have won $1400, while losing $910, for a profit of $490.

Conclusions: While one could argue this is because a lot of players are out of shape, I feel this intense schedule will also increase injuries and fatigue. I think its a safe investment to bet against road teams on their second of back-to-back consecutive games for at least the month of February, see how the system plays out, and if it keeps up, make a play on the rest of the season for what I feel could be at least a 33% investment on your money.

Please couch this advice with knowing I know nothing about betting NHL hockey, please use this information wisely, research every game you are considering thoroughly, and make your own conclusions.

Definitely something to watch. We had this same situation after the NBA lockout. Playing against NBA teams on the third night of back to back to back games was profitable.

I made a play on Detroit last night as it fit this situation. Dallas was on the road and had played the night before. In addition, Dallas' plane was fogged in, and the Stars had to travel on game day.

Detroit won 4-1. I also played the under and then parlayed both plays for a nice package.
    Last edited by OCK; 01-30-2013, 08:08 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

MP- Thanks for the info. I have been betting this angle all year in the NHL and have been winning quite a bit. I know absolutely nothing about hockey but LOVE to watch and bet it. I think that helps. All I look at is record, schedule, and if they won/loss the last time out.

Again, I know something about all the other sports and sometimes that taints my judgement but for hockey, its pure feel, guessing which team may come to play that night and who has the energy.

I am undocumented, but I am hitting well over 70% this year with 1-2 plays per night. It will even out but a good start for sure based on your angle mostly.

Comment

Tough play tonight. Montreal played last night at home v Florida, and now travel to Ottawa tonight. BUT Ottawa is also a back to back. And it's not like Ottawa is across the country.

Were laying -155 credits on Ottawa v Montreal +135 and praying.

Minnesota is in a back to back but are at home. Im sticking with road teams in this experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Masked Prognosticator View Post
          Tough play tonight. Montreal played last night at home v Florida, and now travel to Ottawa tonight. BUT Ottawa is also a back to back. And it's not like Ottawa is across the country.

Were laying -155 credits on Ottawa v Montreal +135 and praying.

Minnesota is in a back to back but are at home. Im sticking with road teams in this experiment.
          CHA-CHING! The Senators wax the Habs asses, 5-1 and we collect a cool 100 credits.

The System is now 11-5, with a margin of 1500 won versus 910 lost for 590 credits.

Add this to my opening night Penguanos v Flyers pick, and YT is 2-0 with NHL picks this season for a cool 2 c notes.
          Last edited by Masked Prognosticator; 01-31-2013, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Similar to Taxman's thread, tonight we roll with (picks in caps):

CALGARY -165 hosting Colorado +155

SAN JOSE makes it 7-0 as a bankroll busting -190 fave hosting Edmonton +175
            . Edmonton not only is playing 2 nights in a row, they played overtime in Phoenix last night.

Friday night 2/1

DETROIT -115 over St. Louis +105

TAMPA BAY -160 hosting the soon-to-be travel weary Winnipeg Jets, +140

Good luck and happy betting!

Comment

Colorado digs into our budget as the Flames fail to close the deal in a close game, losing us 165 sheckels.

San Jose on the other hand is CASH in a nailbiter that ended in a shootout against Edmonton, as we deposit 100 credits into the account.

The System is now 12-6, with a margin of +1600 won versus -1155 lost for +445 credits.

YT is 3-1 with NHL picks this season +300 earned v -165 down the crapper for a +135 credit winnings.

Comment

Very intriguing, AND valuable info MP. I know zilch about the NHL, but am not too proud to jump aboard a gravy train when I see it! Appreciate it. I know Taxman followed this last year to some extent. That TBay line up to -200 now, and +150 for -1.5. I grabbed it at +170 (-1.5), so hope tose Jets are weary, and Lightening FAST.
                Good luck all!

Comment

JACKPOT!

Detroit rope-a-dopes the Blues 5-3, and Tampa Bay kicks the shit out Winnepeg, 8-3 and we pocket 200 credits.

The System is now 14-6 (70%!), with a margin of +1800 won versus -1155 lost for +645 credits.

YT is 5-1 with NHL picks this season +500 earned v -165 down the crapper for a +335 credit winnings.

More to come!

Comment

Hey MP, do you have the numbers if the went to OT on the first game of the B2B? Dall and Chic both are plays for tomorrow and went to OT tonight.

Comment

Nicely Done Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by wisconsin5473 View Post
                        Hey MP, do you have the numbers if the went to OT on the first game of the B2B? Dall and Chic both are plays for tomorrow and went to OT tonight.
                        I do not, but the thought did cross my head this week. Not sure if I have time to research it right now, but we are always looking for volunteers!

Now, Saturdays NHL card presents a fascinating challenge to the System in that so far, only one team in the 2nd of back to back on the road has been the favorite, when the Rangers went into Philly last week and lost 2-1.

Today, we have TWO of these that Vegas is telling us are the favorites, and boy, is one an ugly duckling lets see how we do:

PHILLY -147 over Carolina +124 This is another one where both teams are on a back to back, but Philly really needs a win. The Flyers cant seem to score right now, a coin flip at best.

PHOENIX -136 over Dallas Routine play with the System.

CALGARY +130 over Chicago. Hey, at worst, we only lose 100 clams.

then the hold your nose pick:

COLUMBUS +135 over Detroit -115 The Jacks are a bad team, but we need to keep putting the chips on thre sixes and the eights for now.

Honestly, I think were in for a split. The good news is none of the picks are real bankroll busters, but two of the teams are Money Makers, so in a worst case scenario we don't walk out of the bookies office with broken legs.

Good luck, and happy betting!

Comment

Getting downright spooky:

Calgary does us in the second time in one week, choking once again versus the Blackhawks but only costing us 70 credits.

But we will go 3-1 today:

Philly is CASH as they defeat the Hurricanes, +100

Phoenix: Open up the ATM with another 100 marbles . . .

AND

The Shocker of the Day:

Col-fucking-Umbus wins us a cool 135 with an upset over Detroit!
                          Even I didn't think it would be this good:

The System is now 17-7, with a margin of +2135 won versus -1225 lost for +910 credits.

YT is 8-2 (80%) with NHL picks this season +735 earned v -235 down the crapper for a +535 credit winnings.

@MPrognosticator

Comment

Sunday:

WASHINGTON -125 over Pittsburgh +105 in a line is telling you something game . . . .

and in a line that is screaming at me:

ISLANDERS -116(!!!!!) over New Jersey +105 (IIRC, the game opened and then flip flopped).

Let it ride!

Comment

Here is another take on this B2B trend that I thought about while watching this Wash-Pitt matchup. I wonder if betting the over is a good money making situation as well. The reasoning makes sense. Since I started betting the B2B on Thurs, 8 games, the over came in easily in 5 of the 8, landed on 5 in 2 of them. The only match that was low scoring was the Phx-Dall rematch in the 2nd night, which would have made sense to bet under anyways. I will try to go through all of the games and see where this number stands. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Comment

Working...
                              X