Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar outages and betmaker.net

Good afternoon everybody,

We thought that we could provide some informative reading while explaining why you might encounter some busy or no answer signals when giving us a call for the next two weeks or so.

Around the spring and autumn equinoxes, when the day and night are about the same length, the sun crosses the equator and traces an arc that is directly behind the geo-arc of satellites. This momentarily disrupts satellite reception and causes a phenomenon known as a solar or sun outage. The exact date, time, and duration of such events depends on the receive site location, the satellite in question, the earth station antenna beamwidth or focal resolution, the station keeping accuracy of the satellite and of course the accuracy of antenna pointing.

The sun is a powerful broadband microwave transmitter and has noise temperature well in excess of 25,000K. As the sun passes directly behind the satellite, when viewed from earth, reception maybe degraded or sometimes even swamped by the overwhelming noise from the sun. The result is impulse noise (sparklies).

The outage may last several minutes on either side of the peak each day during the season, and will last longer the smaller the antenna. Similarly, the event will occur for several days both before and after the peak day, thus outages will occur at roughly the same time each day and may repeat on a daily basis for a week or more.

That being said, we have pinned down exactly when these solar outages will be affecting our telephones. Here is a rundown of the dates and times:
    DATE BEGIN (EST) END
    March 5 2:50 p.m. 2:58 p.m.
    March 6 2:49 p.m. 2:59 p.m.
    March 7 2:48 p.m. 2:59 p.m.
    March 8 2:48 p.m. 2:58 p.m.
    March 9 2:49 p.m. 2:57 p.m.
    March 10 2:50 p.m. 2:55 p.m.
    March 12 2:56 p.m. 3:05 p.m.
    March 13 2:55 p.m. 3:06 p.m.
    March 14 2:54 p.m. 3:06 p.m.
    March 15 2:53 p.m. 3:06 p.m.
    March 16 2:53 p.m. 3:06 p.m.
    March 17 2:53 p.m. 3:05 p.m.
    March 18 2:54 p.m. 3:04 p.m.
    March 19 2:55 p.m. 3:02 p.m.

Thanks for your understanding and patience during those times. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to give us a call at 888-238-2238 (888-bet2bet) or email us at [email protected]. Have a great day and good luck during March Madness!

Jake Slater
    betmaker.net

[This message has been edited by Face (edited 03-05-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Face (edited 03-07-2000).]

astrophysics of gambling

gotta love that

Comment

Jake,
      Like I told you last night, this post is a work of art!!!!

Comment

This makes me almost hope that I'll be cut off from a phone call during one of these outages, just so I can say that it happened! : ))

Comment

This must be one of the best reasons for problems that I've seen

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the positive response. I realize that it was a long post and your humor is appreciated. Big Money, unfortunately, I posted the incorrect times, so I hope you didn't try your experiement. They are now fixed. I guess I just got too involved in the "astrophysics" side of gambling. Sammy3, I just thought that you needed a little educating (heh heh). As for the rest of you, I am sure you already knew why solar outages occur. Have a great day and thanks for the entertaining responses.

Jake

Comment

...it's probably just Echelon updating its database... not the solar outages...

Comment

Working...
              X