No announcement yet.

Bowmans limit on Tiger is $14!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mls, you obviously found value in the number they quoted you (because you did eventually bet it) so why would it not be worth your time? I mean who cares what the limit is just get down on value and move on. If I called a BM and asked....what are the WSOX to win the pennant? And he said 25-1 but you can only bet it for 50 grocery dollars, I would bet it and forget it. Point is Bowmans is just trying to run a business why knock heads. Believe me that bank wire just got put to the back

Comment

I agree with noholdsbarreds, is it not to the discretion of the bookmaker to apply limits?

I can understand small limits in minor sports such as golf. Say they dont actually attract that much action, then it seems feasible that they dont want to open themselves to high liabilities.

Just an opinion

Comment

Licensed Bookmakers at race tracks in Australia had limits which must be accepted... These limits ranged from $500 to $2000+ depending on where the bookmaker was located in the racecourse enclosure...
        If the bookmaker refused to take a wager he was liable to suspension.

To limit plunges on certain horses bookmakers lowered the odds to such an extent that it was not viable to place a wager...

Why don't bookies set the odds at such a price which will keep sharps out while at the same time accept wagers. Bowmans shot themselves in the foot by not accepting the higher amounts on Woods...

FF

Comment

Some of you are not aware that 2 years ago Bowmans was probably a top 5 worldwide book.

On several occasions they paid me almost 20 dimes on NFL bets without blinking (or putting me on any kind of wiseguy line).

If they put up a prop I knew I'd be able to bet at least a dime on it.

An now ...

After 2 clerks and 1 supervisor I am allowed to bet $70 on Tiger Woods.

Olympic offered 5 dime limits for their golf matchups for the same tournament. And I can name 3-4 more alone that I use that have 2-3 dime limits (and will take more if asked).

To have golf futures with a $500 maximum "payout" is ridiculous. Even Intertops, known for their small limits, had a $275 limit bet on their golf and Wimbledon futures (carrying upwards of $25,000 exposure on some players).

So now even Intertops can afford to take a futures hit 50X that of Bowmans.

This is my point. A maximum bet of $14 on Tiger (which seemed perfectly normal to 2 Bowman clerks) or the $70 I was finally offered are EQUALLY ridiculous ... which is why I told the supervisor "it wasn't worth my time and hung up."

Bowmans has gone from a top 5 to a bottom 5 ... and I for me think it is sad.

Comment

Mls real simple, don't play there anymore. Who knows why they went from large to small, but I have a good guess. Sounds like they are trying to make money. And last I heard there is nothing wrong with that, right??

Comment

I have to agree with MLS on this one. I also had an account at Bowmans during the early 90's when they were a top 5 book. When the competition started to increase, I remember Bowmans countering with opening up a Maritius operation 24 hours a day.

But something has happenned lately with them and they have went completely downhill. I remember earlier this year with their hockey. They started making any team which was a -0.5 -180 favourite at most other books a -1.5 +110 line (not the exact numbers but you get my point) at their shop. Then on top of this, they say you can't parlay a 1.5 goal hockey favourite with the over/under in the same game. Sounds stupid to me that they prevent you from doing the parlay when it was them who initiated the 1.5 goal favourite in the first place. Then they started putting up college football and basketball games about an hour before tip-off rather than early in the week.

I think it is a shame that people continue to bet there when they can get so much more value from other books.

Comment

Golf matchup limits this week at Bowmans are $100. Has anyone been quoted a higher limit on their matchups than this?

Comment

Working...
                X