Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The end of an era: Is Scalping Gone Forever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are lot's of professional players who back their plays up with cash.(I would assume Wayne Root is in that category, but who knows). If he has 500 clients betting his plays, and they are well to do clients that bet a dime plus a game, that would be 1/2 a million on a game. If a tout releases on their Late Insiders line, than all the betting will come in at around the same time. So what is the definition of wiping out the marketplace? There are 100's of books just offshore. How big of a hit are you talking about?

Comment

• Originally posted by intheknow:
      Thank you so much for putting so well what I couldn't. I have written about this on numerous threads and have been badmouthed and told I'm not a real BM.
      INTHEKNOW,

THANK YOU FOR THE POST.

MY PROBLEM IS I'M TOO THIN SKINNED AND I DON'T LET ANYTHING PASS.

I KNOW WHAT I HAVE DONE IN THIS BUSINESS AS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED.

IT'S YOUR PRIDE IN THE JOB YOU DO THAT REQUIRES YOU TO RESPOND TO THE MOST ABSURD COMMENTS REGARDING WHAT YOU KNOW IS CORRECT IN REGARDS TO THE PLACE WHERE YOU ARE PLYING YOUR TRADE.

REGARDS,

REALITY

Comment

• Originally posted by SLAM DUNK:
        There are lot's of professional players who back their plays up with cash.(I would assume Wayne Root is in that category, but who knows). If he has 500 clients betting his plays, and they are well to do clients that bet a dime plus a game, that would be 1/2 a million on a game. If a tout releases on their Late Insiders line, than all the betting will come in at around the same time. So what is the definition of wiping out the marketplace? There are 100's of books just offshore. How big of a hit are you talking about?
        DEFINITION:

WIPING OUT THE MARKET PLACE:

THE ABILITY TO TURN EVERY MAJOR OFF-SHORE BOOK LISTED ON THE DON BEST PREMIUM FEED TO BLACK IN A PICKET FENCE TYPE FASHION WITHIN 30-60 SECONDS.

WAYNE ROOT IS A TOUT NOT A PLAYER.

EVEN WHEN LATE GAMES ARE RELEASED BY TOUTS ONLY A B.M.IN A COMA, SITTING IN THE BOX WOULD NOT RECOGNIZE THE PLAY FROM THE NUMBER OF SIMULTANEOUS CALLS HE WOULD BE RECEIVING FOR THE GAME.

AT THAT POINT HE DECIDES HOW HE WANT'S TO MOVE THE GAME.

AN ORIGINATOR MOVES THE PRICE ON A GAME WITH A SINGLE PHONE CALL TO EACH AND EVERY PLACE WHERE HE PLAYS.

REALITY

[This message has been edited by REALITY (edited 07-31-2000).]

Comment

• Reality, can you email me at

[email protected]

Thanks.

Comment

• REALITY, I didn't fit your definition of a wiseguy, and I still got booted. It didn't go black when I bought back.

Also, all you're doing is exhibiting your obsessive-compulsive tendencies. Everything you are again stating, you repeatedly stated before. Some people may beat a dead horse, but you go further by grinding it into horse meat.

Everyone in Betorsworld already knows your BM philosphy, and the majority of readers in this forum have little respect for it.

Ronbets, please explain why you aren't an Art Manteris fan. Reality is just an offshore version of Art, and yet you're on his bandwagon.

Comment

• Reality, you make a distinction between touts and groups, but I see a lot of similarities. Am I wrong, or is the only Reason, books do not mind touts, is because the vast majority, can't even hit 52.3% winners. If the cheif capper for a big group that hits high percentages, went into the tout business instead of capping for a big group and said play the Jags if you get -7 or less, isn't that essentially the same thing as the runners for the group all calling in to get the Jags at -7 or less. The bottom line is the books would get a lot of calls from people trying to get the Jags at -7 or less.
              So using that argument, essentially everybody that calls this tout is a wiseguy.

Comment

• Reality...Players give you their money and then try to win it back. Pretty simple. To me a player is someone who gives me his money. Its the same $20 bill. I hold it 20 days a month and he holds it for just 10. Its not as complicated as you think. In your
                above post you labled players as post up, wiseguy, scalpers, middlers, recreational, regular, pro, everyday, originator, mover, active, people, square and hinted that some were even poachers. My response since you asked for it is quite simple. You worked in both types of stores as you put it. You handled them the way your bosses told you to handle them. You did both honestly and did a good job using both approaches. There is nothing else to say. I dont know you but nobody has faulted your honesty in this sight. Bookmaking is really quite simple.
                Its the player who has the burden of doing the (brain)work. Remember 11 is bigger than 10...Scotty

Comment

• Reality, your whole argument is truly absurd. In reality, anyone who buys anything and sells it at a higher price is a scalper. Everyone smart enough to buy a stock when it is "low" and sell it when it is "high" is a scalper. Your approach is reactionary and reductionistic and simply reflects a circumscribed mentality.

Comment

• Originally posted by reno:
                    REALITY, I didn't fit your definition of a wiseguy, and I still got booted. It didn't go black when I bought back.

Also, all you're doing is exhibiting your obsessive-compulsive tendencies. Everything you are again stating, you repeatedly stated before. Some people may beat a dead horse, but you go further by grinding it into horse meat.

Everyone in Betorsworld already knows your BM philosphy, and the majority of readers in this forum have little respect for it.

Ronbets, please explain why you aren't an Art Manteris fan. Reality is just an offshore version of Art, and yet you're on his bandwagon.
                    RENO,
                    I KEEP REPEATING IT FOR YOUR BENEFIT BUT IT DOSEN'T SEEM TO HELP.

SO HERE IT IS AGAIN:

IF I'M IN A POST UP SHOP WHERE THE OWNER SAYS NOW WISEGUYS OR SCALPERS ONLY,THERE WILL BE NO WISEGUYS OR SCALPERS ONLY.

AND YOUR RIGHT YOU ARE NOT A WISEGUY AS I DEFINE THEM.

WHAT IS A WISEGUY AS DEFINED BY REALITY?

A WISEGUY IS ANYONE WHO PLAYS AND 30-60 SECONDS LATER THE SCREEN TURNS BLACK.

AND WHAT IS A SCALPER ONLY?

A SCALPER ONLY IS A PLAYER WHO ONLY SCALPS THE GAME AND RISKS NOTHING TO EARN.

WHY IS HE BAD FOR BUSINESS?

BECAUSE THAT'S ALL HE DOES AND HE DOES IT WITH SUCH PROFICIENCY THAT WHEN YOUR EVERDAY PLAYER WHO YOU WANT TO SCALP THE GAME COMES BACK TO COMPLETE THE SCALP HE CAN'T!

WHY?

THE PRO SCALPER BEAT HIM TO THE NUMBER.

YOU JUST REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE ANYTHING I SAY IS TRUE.

YOU KEEP BLOWING SMOKE UP CERTAIN B.M.S ASSES THINKING THAT A REAL PRO IS GOING TO LET YOU GET THE BEST OF HIM WITH THIS REDICULOUS POSTURING.

A LITTLE WORD OF ADVICE,GO OVER YOUR LIST OF THESE B.M.'S YOU LIKE TO THROW BOQUETS AT,ONE OF THESE SHOPS IS TETTERING ON THE BRINK AS YOU READ THIS...

SEE IF YOU CAN FIGURE OUT WHO.

THEN MAKE SURE TO COME IN HERE AND CRY HOW YOU ARE GETTING SLOW PAID OR NO PAID.

I HAVE BEEN CONTACTED ABOUT MY AVAILABILTY OF RUNNING ONE OF THE BIGGER CLEARING HOUSE OPERATIONS NEXT SEASON.

YOU WILL GET AN ENGRAVED INVITATION TO POST UP.

IF I'M SUCH AN INCOMPETENT AS YOU CLAIM,JUST WIRE JEFF AT BETTORSWORLD YOUR $10,000 AND ACCEPT THE RENO/REALITY CHALLENGE.

TAKE MY 1O DIMES AND IN TYPICAL RENO-ESQUE POSTING FASHION DETAIL HOW YOU TOOK MY MONEY AND SENT ME HOME WITH MY TAIL BETWEEN MY LEGS.

DON'T ANYBODY HOLD THEIR BREATHE WAITING FOR RENO TO CALL THE BET.

HE CAN'T.

HE DOSEN'T HAVE THE WINNING HAND AND HE KNOWS IT.

IF HE DID HE WOULD DOUBLE THE BET...

REALITY

[This message has been edited by REALITY (edited 07-31-2000).]

Comment

• SCOTTY,

I RESPECT YOUR OPINION.

IF I DIDN'T HAVE CONFIDENCE IN WHAT I HAD POSTED, I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT HAVE ASKED SOMEONE OF YOUR EXPERIENCE FOR YOUR OPINION.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE.

REALITY

Comment

• Reality,

The reason the stardust had consecutive winning months,is not because of middlers,but because of street people playing parlay cards.

If you owned a pizza place,would you give free re-fills on fountain drinks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Railbird:
                          Reality,

The reason the stardust had consecutive winning months,is not because of middlers,but because of street people playing parlay cards.

If you owned a pizza place,would you give free re-fills on fountain drinks?
                          RAILBIRD,

NICE ANALOGY.

PARLAY CARDS ARE CERTAINLY A STRONG GAME FOR THE HOUSE.

REALITY

Comment

• Scott/Reality- Scott in an above post you said something about bookmaking is easy. How do you relate oddsmaking to bookmaking? IMO they are 2 vastly different skills and being a good oddsmaker is vastly more important to the bottom line. If a bookmaker is a good oddsmaker or has access to one then the bookmaking job is very easy and lucrative, if not his task is tougher and tougher to the point of impossible, depending on his clientel. Do you agree? commments?

Comment

• Reno,

You ask why I'm not a superbookie fan? It's both business and personal. Here are just 4 of 12 reasons.

#1 In C.P. days embarrassed myself and future ex-wife while trying to bet horses. Something about favorites being steam.

#2 Scolded me like a child when in lottery line for talking. Man behind me was asked to go to the end of the line.

#3 Was 86'd from property for betting a loser. UCLA had a key man out and still won. Was reinstated.

#4 A cardplayer partner and I were 86'd from phone accouts after we had a disasterous week. Tried to repost and told he didn't want are business. He kicks out losers.

I can list 8 more reasons but my stomach hurts when discussing Mr. +450 / -900.

Why am I on Reality's bandwagon? He's a throw back to the old time BMs that have adjusted to todays climate. He's a mercenary that takes orders from the brass and gets the job done.

I'd lay 2-1 Reality never threw out a player that just blew 6 figures!

Comment

• RONBETS,

YOUR GENEROUS WITH THAT PRICE.

YOU CAN LAY 20-1 AND IT'S A BARGAIN.

I NEVER THREW OUT WINNERS AND I CERTAINLY CATERED TO PLAYERS WHO WEREN'T DOING TOO WELL BY TAKING THEIR PLAYS AFTER POST,SOMETIMES EVEN GIVING THEM A BREAK ON THE LINE IF I WASN'T BURIED ON A SIDE OR IF THEY HAD A GOOD ENOUGH STORY FOR ME.

I WILL ALWAYS ACCOMODATE AN EVERYDAY PLAYER.

THEY PAY THE BILLS!

A SCALPER NEED NOT APPLY...

I LIKE THAT LINE THAT DEVIL USED ABOUT PRO SCALPERS BEGGING FOR TWO CENTS BECAUSE THE LINE HAD MOVE...

YOU HAVE WALKED THE WALK AND KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING IN REGARDS TO WISEGUYS AND SCALPERS ONLY.

I'M SURE THERE IS NOTHING I CAN TELL YOU ABOUT THE GAME THAT YOU DON'T ALREADY KNOW.

REGARDS,

REALITY

Comment

Working...
                                X