No announcement yet.

HighSchool Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won the parlay as Anniston beats Saks 36-7.

Comment

Reno,

You're cracken me up again. Seriously, my southern Chinese friends tell me that Macau is the place to play----your game that is--- Asian women. However, the gaming is so bad, when you win the dealers automatically deduct their "toke" before they slide the chips your way.

If I was between relationships, I'd gladly go with you. I'm locked in now.

Comment

Trendsetter,

Gadsen would smash either of those teams.

Comment

Railbird, they beat Anniston the week before last. Anniston's only loss. My friends nephew, Demardric Moore, plays for Anniston. He's doing great. Made defensive player of the week not long ago. He ran a screen pass for 80 yards and a touchdown last week. I talked with my friend in Anniston and she said that Marty made another touchdown Friday. He may have trouble getting a scholorship because of grades. He's trying hard, though.

*** added (from the Anniston Star on-line)***
          Demardric Moore picked up a fumbled lateral and returned it 35 yards for a score.

[This message has been edited by TrendSetter (edited 10-08-2000).]

Comment

There is some fine juco programs in those parts.

Comment

Best California High School Athletes?:

Football: John Elway
              Basketball: Bill Walton
              Baseball: Darryl Strawberry
              Track: Bob Mathias

Women's Basketball: Cheryl Miller
              Women's Track: Marion Jones

Anybody got different choices? Strawberry, in my opinion, is the weakest choice.

Comment

I think they went to

Grenada Hills
                Helix
                Crenshaw
                Turlock
                Riverside Poly
                Thousand Oaks

my choices are

football- Kerwin Bell-Edison
                basketball-Bill Laimbeer-PalosVerdes
                baseball- Don Drysdale-Vannuys
                track - Dwight Stones-MiraCosta
                Golf - Tiger Woods-Western
                Tennis-Pete Sampras-see Laimbeer

Girls basket-Lisa Leslie-Morningside
                Swimming -Janet Evans-Eldorado
                Volleyball-Misty May-Newport Harbor
                Tennis -Tracy Austin-See Laimbeer

Comment

I took some photos of Marion Jones as a 9th grader.I also witnessed Tiger driving 380yd par 4's,and 610 par 5s in 2.Earl would break the rules by being on the course.

my honorable mentions

Anne Meyers-Savannah
                  Greg Goorjian-CrescentaValley
                  Mark O'meara-MissionViejo
                  Brian Goodel-MissionViejo
                  Shirley Babashof-FountainValley
                  Marcus Allen-SanDiego hoover?
                  Tony Gwynn-LongBeach Poly
                  Lindsay Davenport-Murrietta

Comment

Keep in mind my time span a littlwe shorter it seems these are the best players I've seen in my particulr time.

Football: Russell White, Crespi, Jamelle Holloway Banning

Baskets: Chris Mills , Crenshaw I believe
                    Tom Lewis Mater Dei, Tracy Murray Glendora

Bases: Sean Burroughs , Wilson High School

Tennis: Michael Chang , not sure ,but I do know he beat me 6-0, 6-0 in a USTA tourney when he was like 11 or 12 and I was 15.

Track: Quincy Watts , Taft High School

Womens baskets; Lisa Leslie , Morningside

Comment

Sean Burroughs might have been the best American Little League player ever. But although he was outstanding in high school, he wasn't rated super high, like a Ken Griffey, Alex Rodriguez, or Darryl Strawberry. Although he was drafted in the first round by the San Diego Padres, he wasn't among the first five players taken in the draft.

Marcus Allen went to Lincoln High in San Diego, the same school as Terell Davis. Which is more remarkable?--that one high school would produce two Heisman Trophy winners, or that one high school--Point Loma
                      in San Diego--would produce two pitchers, David Wells and Don Larsen, that would each throw a perfect game for the New York Yankees.

Railbird, Bob Mathias in track is an absolute no-brainer. The guy won the Olympic decathlon while still in high school.

Comment

Didn't Lindsay Davenport go to Newport Harbor?

Also, wasn't Cheryl Miller a real player as opposed to Leslie just being tall?

Jeff

Comment

Reno,

Didnt see the Straw play High School ball, and Griffey and ARod didnt play local. My days were 80's on up. How about Damien Allen the younger brother of Marcus , didnt he have a hell of career also.

Cheryl Miller in my opinion was the best female basketball player Ive ever seen, but nobody dominated High School as much as Lisa Leslie and she did it against the best in the Southland.

BTH

Comment

First, my brain was in reverse when I said that Terrell Davis and Marcus Allen were both Heisman Trophy winners. I meant Super Bowl MVPs.

Damian Allen was a very good high school QB, but not in Marcus's class. Brian Sipe, whom I saw play for Grossmont against Helix, was better.

Time dims memories. Two years ago, before I moved from San Diego to Reno, the San Diego Union chose a San Diego High School 20th-century football team. Well, one of the offensive linemen they chose was Bruce Walton, Bill's brother. Well, I know Bruce very well because he was in my class (1969) at Helix.

Anyway, what a joke! If I remember correctly, Bruce did not even make first team all-league, let alone all-CIF. He was big--6'6'', 265 LB--but weak and flabby. I was a 130 LB wrestler, and I could bench press more than Bruce. It didn't surprise me that Bruce was never a starter for the Dallas Cowboys. He's one player who definitely couldn't have played in the current NFL.

But Bill Walton was the real deal. John Wooden called the 1969 Helix High team the best high school team he had seen. There is no way that Bill Laimbeer was a better high school player than Bill Walton.

Comment

Jipblade,

Lindsay did not go to Newport Harbor,although you can find her running laps there with her coach Robert Vanthoff.
                              I was however incorrect about Tracy Austin she went to Rolling Hills which is now Peninsulia.

Reno,

I was not disputing the greatness of Bob Mathias,I was just making a 2nd team,I have family in the SanJoaquin Valley who saw him compete.I have the utmost respect for decathaletes.

Bob Laimbeer is an overachiever who might have got Walton in some foul trouble,in fact he was low posting him in the 88eastern finals.Bill also had a great winning streak at Notredame before the great Danny Ainge went coast to coast.

Brian Sipe was on a L.L. worldseries team in Elcajon are you familiar with that squad.

Comment

Railbird, Brian Sipe was on a La Mesa--where I grew up--team that won the Little League World Series. I can't recall the exact year, but it was between 1957 and 1959. Sipe did play varsity baseball for Grossmont High, but he wasn't a great player.

Comment

Working...
                                X